“Best thing we did in Savannah”

Architectural Tours of Savannah
Ranked #1 of 145 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't have to be an architect to enjoy the Architectural Tours of Savannah with Jonathan Stalcup. He is author and holds a Master of Architecture degree from SCAD. Jonathan not only knows his stuff design-wise, he makes it really easy for the average tourist to understand how Savannah was born and grew into the beautiful and beautifully singular city it is. He not only stops and points, he brings along visual aids to help you understand how a particular building or square evolved. You won't be bored or even tired- the tour progresses (and walks) through hundreds of years of history at leisurely pace.
chester, ny
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best thing we did in Savannah”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Decided to take this tour rather than walking around Savannah by ourselves. What a great idea! Jonathan was our tour guide. We met at one of the city's squares and Jonathan walked us through historic Savannah detailing the architectural styles and aspects of many buildings. It was most informative. He has a great sense of humor and we had fun and learned so much. It combined the history of Savannah with the history of architecture through time. Best thing we did in Savannah.

1 Thank looking2retire

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best architectural tour ever”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Jonathan taught me more about architecture in 2 hours than I've learned in my entire life! What we learned was really a history of American architecture and Savannah was the beautiful backdrop to display it. He really knows his stuff and I could tell he has a passion for it. He has visual aids that help to illustrate how Savannah developed from a 'buffer' zone between Spanish Florida and the British Colonies to what it is today, which made it easy to understand. Taking this tour gave me a better appreciation for Savannah as well as sparked my interest in paying more attention to architecture in my hometown of Chicago.

1 Thank vengajen
Bristol, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“fun and informative”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I really enjoyed this tour. I took it on a Sunday morning so it set a nice, calm pace for exploring the city. Jonathan is very knowledgeable and friendly. The tour is obviously heavy on architecture details but he is able to convey the history of Savannah through the people who built it. The tour definitely gave me a better insight into the city, it's wonderful planning, and the ideas behind it all.

1 Thank Josh S
New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A great way to start a visit to Savannah”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This tour could not have been better organized or executed. Jonathan is charming and gifted at communicating information in a fun and interesting way. I would urge anyone visiting to make this the first thing they do in Savannah. It will make the rest of your visit so much more interesting. Jonathan will gladly answer any questions you may have. The architecture tour offers so much insight into the personality and history of the city.

1 Thank Flipper357
Tampa, Florida
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“A must if you like history”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We are not architects, and this tour is great since it shows the history of Savannah as reflected in its buildings. Jonathan is very friendly and informative. HIghly recommend - time and money well spent.

Visited July 2013