“You have been warned!”

Historic Summit Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Where to begin. The hotel is a dump and it's abundantly clear ownership has not put a nickel into the place for decades. Room was musty and probably remodeled in the 1970s (does that count as historic?). Indoor pool reeked of mildew (you could see black mold coming out of the cracks between ceiling tiles!). Outdoor pool is not heated and was too cold for kids. The wood paneling in the game room is falling down. The banquet room was in a basement and smelled of mold which was less offensive than the 1950s era decor. And the food...just plain awful. Worse than the worst cafeteria food I have eaten. If you want to visit this hotel, just grab a drink on the porch--the view is nice but the traffic noise from the freeway is terrible. BTW--on the website you can't see how close this place is to the freeway, but it is right on it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Craig M

Reviewed September 18, 2009

When we arrived, we were given one of their "best" rooms. The toilet was stained brown and yellow, and when we tried to shower; brown water came out. Completely disgusting. We reserved the room for two nights and when we left for the day after our first night, housekeeping cleaned the room as if we checked out and threw away our personal items. The manager basically blamed us for the problem (not sure on what basis) and did nothing to rectify the issue, and didnt even apologize.

I travel a lot with my job and I'd rather stay at an old LaQuinta than this place. It is WAY overpriced. Great location, but this place needs a LOT of help. Dont waste your money, go to Nemacolin, Hidden Valley, or 7 Springs nearby.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank hokester44
Reviewed August 22, 2009

My friend and I decided to take off on a last minute, well needed break. We drove from Baltimore loaded with golf clubs, bikes and gear so we could be prepared for what ever we felt like doing at the time. We off loaded the bikes in Ohiopyle Pa. and rode along the river it was fantastic. When we got back to the car we asked another couple if they were staying in the area,they told us they were going home that day but, they had stayed at the Summit and loved it. We called and they had a room for us. When we arrived it was like we were old friends, the staff was so friendly and our room was lovely. The best surprise was the food, it was wonderful. The next morning we played golf for free and took a 14 mile bike ride from their parking lot along a scenic mountain road. They even provided a take along lunch for us. Great Getaway!!!!

Reviewed August 19, 2009

The Summit Inn is charming. My wife and I came for our anniversary and chose the romance package. It was well worth it! We felt like we stepped back in time. We received champagne, flowers and our own champagne glasses to keep. The package also included 2 dinners there and 2 breakfasts. We loved the food, although a little pricey. The views are great, the rooms were comfy, and the food was excellent, and the service was outstanding. Overall a great time.

2  Thank CJ_Ytown
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I enjoyed our three nights at The Historic Inn. It is a nice place to relax on the deck or to play a board game or read a book. Close to Fallingwater, historic sites and rafting. It's a large, older inn with basic amenities and lots of charm. Breakfast was good and so was the jacuzzi. Not many places to eat at in the area. We went into Uniontown, nothing special just typical chains. Our main problem was the a/c. It was extremely loud and turned on/off every 20 minutes or so. It kept me up half the night plus you couldn't watch tv without either blaring ithe tv or having to lower it. If you can do with a/c you will be fine! Also, don't stand too close to the windows...you will get a view of the red overhangs, not the scenary. Price was right though.

Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I traveled from Indianapolis to Western PA for our 25th anniversary and to visit Falling Water and Kentuck Knob. Both homes are fantastic and are worth the trip. Found the Summit Inn on the Falling Water website and decided it would be nice to stay somewhere with charm. Arrived Sunday afternoon and had no problems checking in. Desk staff inquired if we were interested in adding breakfast at 10 dollars per person and this would include juice/coffee/tea. Most of the food items were 7-10 dollars, but we choose not to do this. The veranda and lobby were great - my husband thought the lobby was a bit dark and there was no original Stickley furniture as noted on the hotel website - and he did not like the plastic "wicker" furniture on the porch, but that was no big deal to me - it was lovely to sit on the porch, read, enjoy the view and have dinner. I was disappointed in our room - very small - out of date - downright ugly furniture and no amenities - such as coffee maker, fridge, hair dryer (although the front desk has a few hair dryers) There was an iron/ironing board. The bathroom was very small and there was only a pedestal sink - no counter space to put anything in the bathroom However, the bed was very comfortable. Also, there is no complimentary coffee available after breakfast - and I like a cup of coffee in the afternoon or evening. The food was good and the prices average. The wait staff was great - very friendly, fast, efficient and they were sprinting to the bar, kitchen and back to the veranda where the majority of the people were dining. The outdoor pool was great -very scenic - the indoor pool also nice and there was a large game room in the lower level with pool, ping pong and video games. People on the porch were playing scrabble and other board games which I imagine are available from the front desk. Overall, our stay was enjoyable and I would recommend the Inn and return myself, however, I would ask to first view my room and be allowed to switch if I received an out of date room.

1  Thank Indykim
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Very disappointed. Overpriced. Dark, dank , dated and musty. Awful old bedding, peeling paint, bugs in room and not well maintained. The bathroom rug was ragged, there was hair in the tub and the toilet bowl was stained yellow. It just did not feel clean. I don't care if it's historic, FallingWater should take this hotel off it's website. There's a Marriott a little further out in Uniontown where we wished we stayed. Summit totally tarnished our trip.

3  Thank doratheexplorer09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn Uniontown
2 mi away
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
#1 of 1 in Chalk Hill

Been to Historic Summit Inn? Share your experiences!