“Very nice lodging close to Ohiopyle State Park”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Farmington
Stone House Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Farmington B&B and Inns
Willard, Ohio
“Very nice lodging close to Ohiopyle State Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights the Thursday / Friday of Labor Day weekend. Traveled with another couple. Stayed in the old section of the inn. Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Ate both evenings in the tavern - food, service and drinks were very good. Would recommend and we plan on returning in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I enjoyed our stay tremendously. The place is full of old photos of this historical treasure. It is not brand new but was clean and cool during our hot, July visit. The beds were comfortable and there were plenty of clean towels and lots of atmosphere. We were there for a nearby wedding and it was a perfect home base. Margaret was very helpful and friendly. The bar manager Chris was very nice too and makes some good refreshing drinks. We only ate appetizers and they were good. The menu could have been better for both continental breakfast and regular meals. Cont breakfast was fresh fruit and pastries. I loved the fresh fruit but would have loved a bit of protein. (yoghurt or hardboiled egg?) Coffee was good! If you're a history nut like me it is close to perfect. If you want 5 star you can pay more than twice the rate and have half the character just down the road . I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Kingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed there as a nearby accommodation for my Fallingwater visit. This place was exactly what I imagined a nice old country inn to be like: an old stone house with clean well-maintained rooms and antique furnishings. My room, like the one or two other rooms I looked in, had an original fireplace and antique bed, dresser, wardrobe chair and rocking chair. Fortunately, the antique bed had a modern mattress -- very comfortable. The bathrooms were, however, fully modern with a bathtub/shower, etc. So going from the bedroom to the bath is like jumping ahead a hundred years, which is fine with me -- I'd rather have a quick shower than languish is an antique case-iron tub. The staff were friendly and helpful in providing information on my Fallingwater visit.
On the negative side, there is a lot of noise from the road. I'm a light sleeper so I would stay there only if I could get a room at the back. (I had no trouble sleeping.) I had booked a room that was at the front of the inn but the proprietor offered to give me a room at the back without my even asking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Whistler, B.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

My sister booked this Inn, online, though the B&B association.

SCARY - staff were rude. My computer told me that there were two wireless signals in the Inn. The woman that I asked about it not greet me when I approached her - just stared until I spoke no hello can I help you. I mentioned the two wireless signals and she'd said that they were for the reservation system. OK fine, but that does not mean dedicated - I would not have minded her lack of cooperation so much if she'd not been so rude.

The Inn is right on Route 40 - busy all night with tractor trailers frieighters. The Inn is at the bottom of a hill and so the drivers put their 'jake brakes' on - the engine brake - and went screaming by. It kept me up all night, I am quite serious, just about the entire night. My poor mother was so exhausted she could not tour Falling Water and rested in the car instead.

They did not want us to open the window in the rooms because there are bats in the roof and they might come into the room.

The tub did not drain, I was standing in water for the duration of the shower. There were no telephones or televisions - the rooms were dusty, the beds uncomfortable.

There is a lot of history with this Inn, it was one of the first places in which to stay and socialize during the settlement of the area. There is another place on the hill perhaps 500m away, that has wonderful views of this very beautiful area.

Had I gone into check in with my sisters and mother, I would have attempted a veto on staying here. It was scary.

• Liked — History
  • Disliked — Having to sleep here
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank InthisMoment
Martinsville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

Recently my husband and I needed a place to stay midway between Indiana and the Antlantic shore. We decided to spend a night in the Laurel Highlands and see Fallingwater. After reading reviews here, I first tried to get a room at the Yough, but they were booked. The Stonehouse seemed reasonable, and so we decided to go for it. We had a great experience.

We stayed in the older part of the hotel which is literally a large stone building. We stayed on the 2nd floor, and so did another couple, but we could hardly hear them. We checked in late - they have someone there until 11 pm, but that is the latest - it is remote out there, too, so it is important to get there before close! We checked in with no problem, but everything was closed at that time, so we had to drive into a nearby town to get some take-out.

The room is simple, with no tv. (But, there is a tv in the common area). There were clean sheets and towels, and nice furniture. Breakfast in the morning was continental with cereal, muffins, juice, coffee, etc. and was just right. It took us about 30-35 minutes to get to fallingwater. Overall, we had a wonderful time staying in this hotel!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eastern PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2006

This is a lovely place to stay - equal to most hotels in Europe.
We stayed in a well appointed room, with lots of charm. Expect to have a bit of creaks in a place this old - adds to the ambiance.
Great opportunity to get away from the "chains".

(Other reviewer - as for the soap, it was in the sink cabinet - in quantity and nice quality)
Dinner was excellent - nice choices, well prepared.

Reasonably priced.

• Liked — Location, old time charm, excellent food.
  • Tips/Secrets — By packing light, you don't mind places like this where you carry your own luggage upstaris.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheMoyers
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

My children and I were heading from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC last week and were planning on staying halfway near Cumberland. Unfortunately Mother Nature was very unkind and even though we were within 30 miles of our first intended destination, the fog was so bad that we turned back down Route 40 rather than risk a tragedy. We intially stopped at a very pretentious (unnamed) facility on Route 40 and found a room for $435. This was not reasonable so they referred us to one of the only two other possibilties and that was the Stone House Inn. The best way to describe the experience is to place the opulent facility on the one end of the continuum and this 1822 Inn on the other. Frankly I prefer the ambience of the 1822 inn. The receiving staff member (?owner) of the inn was a little cool as she eyed my children and myself as potential roomers for the night. Odd to be in a foyer checking in while diners were onlookers. More odd was shleping the bags through the foyer while the diners were still onlooking! The inn had been updated and was very warm and inviting as well as very clean. The rooms were indeed "period" style decorated and frankly had a bit of a "haunted" feeling. So much so that my son (age 12) was very reluctant to stay but it was probably the dark rainy night that contributed to our anxiety. The evening came with a 30$ complimentary coupon towards dinner which I felt was very generous. We ate in the tavern and had an exceptional waiter. I had to steer my children away from the framed article describing the "resident" ghost, former owner George Tilton. The bed was surprisingly comfortable. The bathroom was shared by another room that was vacant so that worked out! No soap in bathroom was a minor, aggravating detail. Also there was only one electric outlet in the room which was another minor inconvenience. The room was drafty but the covers were warm. The outside noise was ongoing as the traffic is very close to the inn. No amount of soundproofing would change that fact. There are rooms available in the back of the house which might not be as noisy. Breakfast was continental and predictable. Overall it was quite a unique experience and frankly I was glad to be a tiny part of this inn's history.

• Liked — it's history
  • Disliked — noise by road
  • Tips/Secrets — pick room in the back of the inn
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank nurseontheloose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn Uniontown
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Historic Summit Inn
Historic Summit Inn
#2 of 4 in Farmington

Been to Stone House Country Inn? Share your experiences!