“Run of the mill”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Farmington
Stone House Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Farmington B&B and Inns
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Run of the mill”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was really hoping for better but what we got was just another run of the mill restaurant. First off the menu is really hard to navigate but it seemed to have quite a few options. We dined on a Sunday and opted for the prime rib house special. It was honestly just average, you could get a better prime rib at any chain steakhouse such as an Outback. Though the salads were good, the service was unbearably slow. A dinner that should have taken 1.5 hour max, was dragged out well over 2 hours. They presented a beer menu, but were out of mostly everything on the menu. I honestly won't go back but it seemed like everyone in the surrounding area was there that day. I wont recommend to any of my friends or family. You're better off driving into Uniontown for a better meal.

Room Tip: We did not sleep at the Inn.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our group was amazed at the large crowds dining at the Stone House. The entire large facility was packed. Salads were fresh and tasty. Our server suggested the prime rib rather than the steak. The prime rib was average, not memorable. Mashed potatoes, skin on, were very good. The yeast rolls were light and fluffy, but lacked flavor. The bar was out of many of the beers on the menu and the wine choices were limited. Desserts- our group tired the strawberry shortcake which really should be taken off the menu. The cream brûlée was very good.

The service was very slow and salads took forever to arrive. Our server was quite stressed and more servers were needed. The dining room was loud and dining conversation was severely limited due to the surrounding noise. Overall, the dining experience was like going to a banquet, as large numbers of people were being served with average food in a loud setting. But, this is by far the better choice for dining while staying at the Nemacolin resort and preferring to dine casually.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the inn,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Escalante, Utah
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our room was very nice, good size, clean and a comfortable bed. The only thing we didn't like about it was that it was right in front, by route 40. Had we realized this we probably wouldn't have stayed. The cars/trucks... drive by all night, although it wasn't too bad from 10pm-6am. They served a continental breakfast which had plenty of choices as well as fresh fruit. We enjoyed our dinner which was very reasonably priced, also a good selection of beer at the bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katahoula
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We did not stay at the Inn, but after our experience in the bar would not even consider it. the food was averge. We arrived at the restaurant to find the door locked and were told by people who were smoking on the front porch that we had to enter through the bar. There was no one in the restaurant so we had to eat in the bar. So much for a nice quiet dinner. after talking with people in the area we learned that it was at one time a very nice place. We should have read reviews and talked to locals BEFORE we went there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sandra W W
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have been staing at B&Bs and family owned inns for over three decades and this was by far the worst experience for lodging (and dining) that I have experienced. I booked 5 months in advance in order to secure a room in the oldest, historic part of the building with a private bath and farther from the road. However when I arrived I discovered that the room I booked was already occupied by another guest. I was directed to a room at the front of the bulding right on Rt. 40 that was far too noisy to even read, let alone sleep later, so I asked to be moved. The only room available was horribly appointed...holes in the wall, wall paint splattered all over the floor, nails sticking out of the wall where I can only assume there used to be something hanging and to top it all off, was over the kitchen and back of the bar. The smoke and smells from the kitchen had me so nauseated by the next morning that I left about 2 hours earlier than planned. The bed linens were mis-matched with one sheet having pulls and runs all throughout it and the pillow cases were way too short for the pillows. The 'private' bathroom was down a small hall that was exposed to the common room with no way of making it truly private and it could also be entered from the kitchen below. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor that I could not even use the mirror over the sink. I cannot recall seeing any smoke detectors, sprinklers or any such safety devices anywhere. My family and I had eaten in the restaurant a few years ago and had a good experience but I cannot say the same this time so there must have been a change in kitchen staff. The prime rib was edible, the mashed potatoes were sticky and gooey (like they had been 'mashed' in a food processor and over processed) and the veggies were limp. The dessert was not edible. On top of all of this not once was I offered any apologies or compensation for the problem with my room or the food. Not only does this place needs extensive rehab it also needs a staff overhaul. Please do not waste your money here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank Dee S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We liked the local barbeque. Nice environment. The waitress couldn't read the beer menu.But the beer selection was ok. My wife like the pasta. Portions were big. Historic picture were interesting. Place was clean.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed 2 nights to visit Fallingwater and local sights. This inn is well located and has a good basic charm and cleanliness. Restaurant was outstanding with great craft beers, service and quality dishes. We stayed in the main inn in rear because of reviews of road noise. The road is incredibly loud but our room was quiet so no problems there. The reason for downgrading this inn is that the rooms (or at least ours, the Monroe), while basically clean, are poorly maintained and furnished. Wallpaper is peeling, the tub faucet drips loudly, a floor tile in bath is loose, ceiling register has not been cleaned since 1822, inadequate electric outlets to plug anything in except bathroom, very marginal air conditioning with no controls (we fortunately had a little fan in the car which we brought in), the tub did not drain well, ther were no night stands near the bed (very inconvenient), furniture was cheap and squeaky (although the bed was good), flimsy small towels, and lastly the common space is bad with room for only 2 people and not with any charm. I would not stay here again but I would take in the restaurant for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PennaMike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn Uniontown
Historic Summit Inn
Historic Summit Inn
#2 of 4 in Farmington
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa

Been to Stone House Country Inn? Share your experiences!