“Touring Pennsylvania”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Farmington
Stone House Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Farmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Overnighted here with a small group (4 couples) after touring Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. We all stayed in the old section of the hotel as recommended by this site. Booked the overnight special to take advantage of the dinner coupon...$10 well spent. Wife and I had the Lincoln room. Clean and quaint, but the mattress was hard.
Good selections of beer and the dinner was all good. Staff was very friendly checking in and throughout the stay.
The highway out front can be noisy, so try to book a room facing the back of the property.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the highway as there can be lots of traffic at night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sandy b
There are newer reviews for Stone House Country Inn

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were cycling in the area & decided to make reservations off the Great Allegheny Passage. We were told that there were no rooms available in the old inn but they had rooms available in their new "modern" wing. Had we not been exhausted from riding & been more familiar with the area, we definitely would have been looking for other accommodations. We paid over $160 for a room that should not have cost more than $50 based on its quality. There was a used Q-tip & pill left on the bathroom floor by the previous occupant. The quality of the furniture (stained & stripped) & the linens was incredibly poor. The cover on the box springs had brown stains running down it which I'm glad we didn't notice until morning. There was not adequate lighting & the bathroom fan sounded like a plane engine. The quality of all building materials & fixtures was very cheap. The Inn itself was quaint & our meal in the tavern was decent. I shared my concerns with the only employee that I could find in the morning when I turned in our key, but she had no response. I spoke to another employee when I called the inn after returning home. She apologized & assured me that the manager would call me within a few days. That never happened. While the experience may be different in the inn, I would strongly discourage anyone from staying in the "new, modern" wing. Extremely overpriced, not clean, & overall poor quality.

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank Cheryl513
Adam G, General Manager at Stone House Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

August 24, 2012

I am sorry to learn that despite our history, our room accommodations didn’t live up to your expectations, for the price. I can say that being very recently named General Manager of

I noticed you stayed in one of our modern style guestrooms, which some are on the quaint side like that of our bed & breakfast arrangements. With the main building being a historic landmark of nearly 200 years of age, some of our rooms are smaller than that of the standard modern day hotel footprint that many travelers are accustomed to. As for cleanliness and facility maintenance, we have already started new programs to repair forgotten equipment and have developed a keen sense of cleanliness within the rooms by upgrading to standards held by properties of AAA and Forbes ratings.

I am happy to have a look further into your previous booking to ensure the proper rate was charged based on what you subsequently ended up staying in. Please don’t hesitate contacting me directly, at 724.329.2021

We do hope that despite your comments on your room arrangement, you may decide to give us another try in the future. We will look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Adam M. Greiner
The Historic Stone House Restaurant and Country Inn
724.329.8876

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Our group of 30 people was touring both Kentucky Knob and Fallingwater for a day. We needed a restaurant for dinner before returning to Pittsburgh where we were staying. I contacted the Stone House Inn weeks ahead of time to make arrangement and they were extremely amenable. We were able to create our own menu and they had the menus printed specifically for our group at each place setting. There is a new chef who has recently come from the Greenbrier and he is fabulous. The food was delicious and the wait staff were very pleasant and accommodating. Everyone was pleased with their meal and we had a delightful evening. it was the perfect way to end the day.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had the unpleasant experience of staying in the "new" wing and it was identical to Sara's. The room was advertised as Ralph Lauren appointed - well, only if Ralph Lauren makes black polyester curtains and bedspreads, and dirty pink carpets. The sheets and towels were basic and threadbare and the bathroom was poorly supplied with only a generic bar of soap. Bizarrely there was a large jacuzzi occupying half the space of the room, but there was not enough space for a proper chair or desk, or a second bedside table. The furniture that was there consisted of mismatched faux antiques that had had a hard life, very unappealing. The lighting was poor and the one lamp did not work. I would have used the common area to sit in but there was room for only one group of people there and someone else got there first. Hard to understand why the price was more than in the main building, unless the noise from the adjacent busy highway makes those rooms less desirable. And the breakfast - individually saran wrapped muffins/english muffins, surely it would not have been hard to buy a loaf of decent bread to leave out for toast and forget the saran wrap. The Victorian ambience of the main building - heavy woodwork, flowered wallpaper, loads of lace curtains - may appeal to some (not me). This was a major disappointment and extremely poor value.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank dellmunro

August 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your impressions of The Historic Stone House with us and others on Trip Advisor. We are sorry to hear that you found our rooms substandard during your visit.

As mentioned in a response to another guest with similar comments and concerns, I can say that being recently named General Manager of The Historic Stone House Inn, I take your feedback very seriously and will be working diligently to improve facilities to meet or exceed expectations that have been developed over the Inn’s rich history.

Our modern style guestrooms, are my first priority. We will be expeditiously acquiring appropriate furnishings, decor, lighting and other fine details. Our maintenance program is being developed so that no equipment is seen as faulty or on the verge of faulty and our accommodation standards will be held to that of Diamond and Star rated facilities.

Adam M. Greiner
The Historic Stone House Restaurant and Country Inn
724.329.8876

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and I planned a weekend in PA for a visit to Falling Water. We stayed at the Stone House Country Inn. Our reservation was for one of the "newer" rooms (William Penn). We walked in the door to the room and were immediately hit by the strong smell of sulphur. It was truly overwhelming. We returned to the front desk and told them the room literally stunk. We were moved to a room in the main inn. It was on the 3rd floor and shared a bath in the hallway, but we were overjoyed. Believe me, stay in the original portion of the inn. It's charming. We only ran inot our "neighbors" once. The bathroom sharing was a non issue.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff gave us a coupon for the restaurant/tavern and the rooms in the inn are actually cheaper than the "newer" wing. GO OLD !!!

Room Tip: CHOOSE FROM THE OLD ROOMS in the original portion of the inn. They're charming.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Wish I had read these other reviews more closely. We booked a room in the "modern wing" thinking it would be more updated. The overall impression was closer to a motel than a country B&B. We arrived at 3:05 for a 3:00 check-in, but the doors were locked. We rang the bell a few times, and the one person we spotted through the door made eye contact with us and walked away! That should have been our first clue. We left and came back about 45 minutes later and finally figured out how to get in through the now unlocked tavern and winding around to the "front desk". The staff looked surprised to see us. It was very odd. We were given keys and told to go outside to the wooden stairs at the back of the building to get to our room. There is no covered walkway.The "modern wing" has no smoking signs all over, but clearly everyone smokes in there. The hallway stank of stale cigarettes, but our room was okay. The bed was uncomfortable, the towels were small and thin, and there was no place to put our clothes. We found old trash in the nightstand and a used bar of soap in the shower. The only good thing was it was a quiet room-- once the other guests stopped slamming the door to the outside. Breakfast was a joke - Sarah Lee pastries still wrapped in cellophane, packages of cheap cream cheese and jelly, lukewarm coffee and fruit trays covered in plastic wrap. The staff explained that the food is brought in the night before so they didn't have any extra food to give us. There was no option to order hot dishes - no French toast or pancakes or bacon and eggs -- nothing! I was shocked and disappointed that we wasted so much money to stay at what was essentially a motel. Don't bother!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sara425
Reviewed March 22, 2012

A hidden treasure. We only stumbled on this place because we were visiting Falling Waters (only 20 minutes away). Not much to look at from the outside but inside, it is a gem. Wonderful authentic architectural details (tins ceilings, carved woodwork, authentic antique furniture etc. but modern bathrooms). We delighted in our room and furnishings and even with a teenager found it was lovely to go to the game room with amazing/unique woodstoves and all sorts of board games as well as a wide-screen TV if you really wanted the present day to intrude.

In addition, the food is wonderful. My companion had the chicken dumplings (superb) and enough for a whole family. All at very reasonable prices and with friendly /helpful staff in the inn, tavern and restaurant.

And everything is spotless from the lace curtains and lamps to all of the glass in the light fixtures etc.

Worth a visit on its own.

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality and described on the website. So much nicer than everything the sa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn Uniontown
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
#1 of 1 in Chalk Hill
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa

Been to Stone House Country Inn? Share your experiences!