“Not worth it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Laurel Caverns

Laurel Caverns
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Farmington
More attraction details
Owner description: Cave with 2.8 miles of underground passages: great for viewing weird rock formations.
Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not worth it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We went to the caverns today. We had my 80 year old father with us but because the web site stated to expect a "walk up five flights of steps" we didn't expect any trouble. We were wrong. No one bothered to mentioned the steep inclines, many without handrails. We were actually abandoned by our guide numerous times as she went ahead with the rest of our group (which only consisted of 7 people) and left to fend for ourselves through the cavern. She was annoyed and actually reprimanded my father when he wanted to rest against the rocks with his family rather than stand in the middle of a completely dark room to see the light show. We finally had to tell her, rather sternly, that we were more concerned with making it back safely than seeing the show. Would NOT recommend this tour to anyone who has problems with vision or walking.
Guide was uninterested and completely rude.

Visited September 2012
7 Thank boblBaltimore

• Vietnamese first
Trafford, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“very interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

my sister and I took the boys a few years ago and we had alot of fun looking at the caverns. I will definetly go back again!

1 Thank daniela r
Ashtabula, Ohio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Challenging”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We took our cub scouts there this summer. I went with the older boys (ages 9 & up) on the Upper Caving Tour. I was surprised by how difficult it was. That section of the cave is all natural. No carved walkways, no handrails, no lights. There were parts where we had to slide down rock surfaces on our butts. Some places we walked on a slant where, if you fell down, you would end up in a dangerous crevice. We crawled on our bellies. The boys loved it! I was upset by our guide's lack of concern for safety. She allowed the boys to race up ahead in the pitch dark with only their flash lights as a guide. She was not informative at all. The few places where she did impart some information she did so in a bored manner that did not hold the boys' attention at all. The younger boys from our Pack did the easier 1-hour family tour with Cavern Putt and Panning for Gemstones which they enjoyed as well.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank MissAnneZZ
West Palm Beach, Florida
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Captivating Caverns!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I really enjoyed hiking around the caverns! Our guide was friendly, knowledgeable, and for $10, we had an amazing couple of hours underground! The caverns are lit with different colors throughout and the pathways through are quite extensive. I was impressed with how unrestricted our access was. What I mean is, we were allowed to touch the walls and stay in the caverns for a great deal of time. I've been on other cavern tours where you have to be careful not to touch the walls because the oil from your hands can cause the walls to discolor. There weren't a ton of stalactites or stalagmites, but all in all, it was a beautiful and interesting trip underground!

Visited June 2012
Albion, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Basic Cave”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was my husbands first time on a cave tour - it was ok. We did the (1) hour family tour as neither of us was dressed appropriately to do the 3 hour tour - I spoke with one of the tour guides and was told that it would include lots of crawling/climbing. The (1) hour tour was very basic - good shoes are a must as there is a pretty good incline to travel down & then back up - parts are damp and a little slippery. The cave is primarily dry however, no stalagtites or mites visible. There is a portion of the tour where you experience "total" darkness - they aren't kidding - there is also a light show at that part of the tour - shorter would have been better. All in all it was an ok adventure.

Visited August 2012