“Beautiful place, but....”

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My family and I recently stayed at Nemacolin and thought it was beautiful. We also loved how the view outside our townhouse window had horses and zebras running about (yes, I said zebras!) The animals on the resort are amazing. My one gripe, and I have read this in other reviews of the resort, is that they charge you for every little thing, and consider anything other than your room charge (and at over $400 a night, you might expect a little something) an "extra." I mean, down to using the computer in their business center...they charge $20 per half an hour, after I had to walk to the front desk and back (a 10 minute walk each way) and was charged to get the key. We even did the steak fry safari, which was great for the kids, although the previous day we had already gone to the wilderness area, and got roped into the animal tour for $30 per person. Yes, $30 even for kids. And the steak fry dinner was about $150 for my family of four, and you had to pay extra for soda. I mean, c'mon. Not to mention a less than 10 minute pony ride for each of my kids that ended up being $50 with tip. Or the rock climbing wall which was over $20 per person, or the mini golf..... EVERYTHING is extra. I could go on and on. Its too bad, because the resort is beautiful, and the staff is absolutely wonderful, and very welcoming. Its just the annoyance of every thing extra that really started to get on my nerves by the end of the trip. That being said, if you go into it with fair warning, you will enjoy the resort and the beauty of the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lavagirl

Reviewed August 28, 2007

Bottom line: We enjoyed our stay, and Nemacolin is a nice resort, but WAY overpriced.
The room rates are high, and the resort charges extra for EVERYTHING (even tennis). I'm surprised we didn't see a charge per-towel used. I don't mind paying extra, if I feel I'm getting something in return.
At these prices, I'd expect that "Wow, they've though of everything" Instead, we kept saying, "they didn't quite meet expectations"
For example: My wife and I had a couples massage. They tell you, "arrive about 30 minutes early, so you can relax..." Each locker room has it's own little (LITTLE) waiting room; however, couples wait in a "special area" The special area turns out to be the hallway. No joke. The hallway, on a bench. The massage was great, but we ended up with the feeling ...they didn't quite meet expectations
Another example: Dinner at Lautrec, the four diamond, $$$$$, "Grande Dame of fine dining in Western Pennsylvania" Excellent food, but there were fruit flies buzzing around. ...they didn't quite meet expectations"
This lack of attention to detail is expected at a average resort, but Nemacolin is charging premium/five star prices for an average/three star experience.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I cannot say enough good things about Nemacolin. My wife and I had flown to a Sandals resort (avoid Antigua) on Monday, flew back on Tuesday because it was under construction, and drove to Nemacolin on Wednesday. Not only did they discount our room for three nights but they upgraded us up to up to the club level in the Chateau. Butler service, complementary lounge, huge room, etc.

The dining was superb. Aqueos had great lobster and steak. The sauteed mushrooms were the best I have ever had. The chef's tasting menu at Lautrec is very expensive ($288) but an excellent dining experience with impeccable service, surprising food choices and combinations, and fantastic artful presentations. The pub was a great surprise - the best steak salad I've ever had.

The grounds were fantastic and the spa was wonderful. Next time, I know I will be playing some golf and shooting shotguns. Wine tasting was fun and insightful.

Even after paying for all of the meals and the little extras here and there, we got a much better value than we would have received at the "all-inclusive" Antigua resort. We will go back again and again.

4  Thank JJB7WashingtonD_C_
Reviewed July 17, 2007

First the bad....Considering that Nemacolin is suppose to be a luxury resort (and certainly comes with the luxury pricetag), I was disappointed. The grounds were overgrown and dirty and in desperate need of attention. Our TV was fuzzy and did not get many channels. The overall decor needs a major overall/update (cheesy wallpaper and carpet). They charge you extra for EVERYTHING - for example, one hour of tennis time costs $15, not a big amount of money, but very tacky nonetheless. The main pool is way too small and there are only a dozen good spots at the pool. Unless you get there early, you will be stuck with in the section where all the lounge chairs are ON TOP of each other, with no space to move.

Okay, now for the good....We had very good food at all the restaurants we tried (Tavern, Autum and Aqueous) with nice service. The food is pricey, but I think that is to be expected. There are a lot of things to do and there is definitely something for everyone. Falling Rock is amazing (we did not stay there, but checked it out). They have a great shuttle service that can take you all over the property (no charge). If you like the idea of being outdoors, but not roughing it, you will like Nemacolin. You are up in the mountains with plenty of outdoor activities. Finally, although we did not travel with our children, it was definitely "family" friendly. There were lots of activities that children, ages 4 and up, would enjoy.

My only other comment is that if you are staying at Nemacolin, you must check out Falling Water. It is only a 10 minute drive from the resort and is well worth the time spent touring it.

6  Thank Sheeny
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My husband and I spent 5 nights recently (July 7-12) at Nemacolin. It was our third trip to the resort. We booked a suite in the Chateau. Our rooms were very spacious with an oversized luxurious bathroom - but I knew they would be from our previous visits. There is plenty of drawer and closet space and the turn down service every night was the best we had ever had. Not only do you get chocolate, but they replace used towels and take out your trash!!

There are so many things to do at this resort. There are many activities and areas (beach, zoo) to explore! Paradise Pool is aptly named and I had another great massage at the Spa. My husband used the work out room and I took the cardio mix class which were free. We took our laptop and received Wi-Fi at no charge.

Although they offer a shuttle service as the resort is spread out, we walked to The Caddy Shack twice to eat and rode bikes to The Gazebo - but it is hilly. We saw lots of shuttles and people seemed to have little or no wait times.

Falling Rock is a beautiful place. Make sure you go there to visit or eat if you do not stay there. We had a romantic dinner one evening outside on the patio.

Food prices are somewhat high but not out of line for a 4 star resort. Drink prices are high as well, but after paying $14 for a drink in St. Kitts in April and the same amount last summer in San Francisco, I was okay with paying $10 at Nemacolin. You can also ask for a frig and bring in your own wine or cocktails.

The area has much to offer, We have done white water rafting and ridden the beautiful bike trails along the river at Ohiopyle state park. We have also toured the two Frank Lloyd Wright homes. Falling Water we visited twice!

We had excellent service and a wonderful relaxing vacation at Nemacolin. We loved the artwork and learning about the Hardy family. It is truly an amazing place. I can’t wait to return!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Lillytoo
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Nemacolin Woodlands, a very disappointing experience. Firstly, upon check-in, television was not operating correctly. Management quickly dispatched an engineer, unable to correct problem and blamed LodgeNet, doing nothing. We experienced fuzzy television picture first night. In the morning, contacted the front desk again to request "comp" for the lack of television service. The front desk manager promised resolution. We did not receive the manager return call, no apology and no compensation for this huge inconvenience.

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort seems to be experiencing financial problems or lack of management supervision. Numerous lack of maintenance issues ranging from filthy parking garage stairways, damaged concrete stairs, walkways, dirty public restroom. Fountain at the Fallingwater Hotel was missing flagstones. The teakwood patio furniture is badly weathered and need of repairs. Whilst room service was prompt, the food was poor quality, expensive. Despite the 19% automatic room service fee, the hotel also adds a $5.00 delivery fee..an extra insult to a kitchen that makes a poor omelet and roasted potatoes. The potatoes tasted like there were prepared from last nights restaurant leftovers. Both of their restaurants had difficulty locating just one bottle of champagne and then it wasn't satisfactory chilled prior to serving.

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort seemed like a two-star adventure and the five-star price. Lastly, when you enter their property, instead of a big welcome sign, you see a sign advertising for new employees and a large building with another large sign "recruitment office". Might assume big staff turnover?

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank palmbeach33480
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed here for three nights over the July 4 holiday - my husband, myself and our 2 and 6 year old sons. Overall, we all enjoyed ourselves mostly thanks to the beautiful outdoor pool, very friendly staff anywhere you go on the resort, quick shuttle bus service and yummy ice cream parlor (try the hot fudge sundaes!)
However, if you are comparing this to a family trip to the Homestead or Greenbriar, I'd rather stay at Homestead or Greenbriar. Here is why.

Lodging - We stayed in the Links Condos - townhomes that are very spacious but a bit worn and tired looking - not luxurious or classy but clean and fine. Nice big deck, comfy beds. However, it could be a bit nicer and more stylish for the money. What is very cool and unique is the "zoo" is right here - if you have young kids, they wake up and see the moose across the way in it's area, bears, goats, etc. They loved this every day.

Getting around - the resort was too spread out - like i could not walk out my LInks condo and get a cup of coffee. You have to take the shuttle bus a lot, though it comes very quickly and often and everything is a two-minute ride, it was just not for us. Grounds are vast and pretty but I felt isolated staying in the Links.

Price - nothing is included - no dinners, not many activities, etc. The Homestead and Greenbriar had amazing breakfasts and dinners included.

Food - nice variety of restaurants to choose from and enough casual options if you have young kids - the restaurant staff is very family-friendly, which is a wonderful change from most places! Nothing fazes them and they are very accomodating. The food was fine - very fresh, but nothing amazing (unlike Homestead).
The P.J's ice cream parlor was a real nightly treat!

Good indoor kids pool if it rains. Game room is small.
They offer kids camp but we did not use it - it looked wonderful though, from the facilities to the activities and friendly staff.

If you have older kids, there are tons of great activities, like archery, horseback riding, rope line, rock climbing, and more. This seems like a great resort for families with preteens as there are fun and unusual activities the family can do together.

Best part (if summer) is the beautiful outdoor pool and poolside service, drinks, lunch is good.

Overall, a relaxing place but three nights four days is all you need. One day less is probably fine. Environment is a bit bland and could use updating but a nice time. SOme of the best staff i've seen at any hotel or resort anywhere in the U.S. That alone would make me say i'd return!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank ELM2426
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
#1 of 1 in Chalk Hill

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!