“The Falling Rock is rising”

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Follansbee, West Virginia
“The Falling Rock is rising”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I spent our 2nd anniversary at the Falling Rock resort. I knew she finally needed a break from our 1 and 2 year kids and it just happen that our anniversary fell on a weekend… a weekend with sum snow. We got up to Nemacolin right when it started snowing and they had trucks out moving the snow around but once we got to Falling Rock everything was amazing. Doug greeted us at our car where he got our bags and parked our car, the second we walked in we were greeted and told our room was upgraded plus offered many things and a thank you. Once the butler (I believe her name was Elissa) came and got us she took us on a tour of Falling Rock and then showed us our room where she continued to explain everything to us. She also set up a shuttle to the spa for my wife, once at the spa my wife was greeted with a gift bag and a happy anniversary; she spent a few hours there and was shuttle back in time to be greeted with champagne and strawberries at our room. Later that night we went to dinner at Aqueous inside the Falling Rock where again we were greeted with happy anniversary, the food was amazing and even my very picky of an eater wife ate everything (Loved the Elk Loin and Bison Steak). We get back to our room to find the lights dimmed and a warm bubble bath with roses set up. It was a very great experience all the way through and we will be back up next year and so on, plus we will be taking the kids up in the summer to check out the many attractions to do. Also in the morning they had our vehicle right up front for check out and loaded everything up for us. My only thing I regret it I now feel we should have had breakfast at Aqueous rather than the Sunday brunch at Lautrec and my reasoning has nothing to do with Lautrec because the food wowed me but it was just the experience at Falling Rock. It was unforgettable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
San Francisco
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Wife and i Spent 3 nights in early December. Place was almost empty, being between holiday rushes.

Weather was cold and clear. We were lucky as it was inclement both before and after. Risky time of year for outdoor activities.

Room in Chateau was beautiful--large, well-appointed with vaulted ceiling and nice art work. Housekeeping good.

Food was disappointing. Lettuce wilted, presentation unimaginative, seafood fishy, etc. Room service missed delivery time, but was enthusiastic and accommodating. Front desk friendly and helpful.

We quickly learned to take meals off-campus (Stone House, Brick Oven). From servers and guests learned of love/hate relationship between resort and town. Resort employs up to 1700 persons/day in high season in this otherwise economically depressed Appalachian community, but is contemptuous at times towards locals.

Spa was spotty. Wife loved delux massage package, but I thought my bored masseuse treated me like a piece of meat.

Horseback riding staff was friendly and enthusiastic. My horse was surprisingly responsive for an indiscrimmatively ridden resort "hack". Horse and foot Trails were limited to the large resort property, including views of their caged animals. Animal rights folks might want to stay clear.

The seasonally closed golf courses were impressive wonders of chemically nurtured lurid greenery amidst otherwise scrubby, stoney hills. No level lies. Long fairways. Challenging water. Immense sand. No mature trees in bounds.

I'd give the staff 5 stars, the food one star, the spa 3 stars, and the sociology a C-.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gynodyno
Plum, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Beauty, Comfort, Activities, and hospitality were all thoroughly amazing! I recommend to anyone- with or without kids, there is something to do for everyone...and the food- oh the food!! Experience it!!

• Stayed December 2013
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed at the Nemacolin Resort overnight for a company Christmas party. The resort is beautiful! We arrived and had very attentive bellboys open our doors and get our luggage. Check in was very efficient, no wait, under 5 min but it didn't feel rushed. We arrive to our room 501. It is a small room, but nicely decorated, vaulted ceilings, granite counter tops, balcony with furniture to sit out and enjoy the evening. The bath room is large with a double sink. There were some minor aesthetic issues with the paint chipping on the vanity in the bathroom, and the crown moldings are in need of some tlc. The beds are very comfortable with feather pillows! The bathrooms are well stocked with towels. The security of the room was not so good. There was of course the standard key lock doorknob, but the door didn't seem to meet the jam and to compensate for this a metal piece was installed on the outdside of the door for privacy. The only additional lock was a chain on the door. Through out the night I could hear conversations in the hallway very clearly. The spa is incredible! I felt very relaxed there and wish I had more time to experience the treatments. The tavern is a nice restaurant with a great menu. I recommend the buffalo nachos made with homemade potatoe chips. We did wait for 10 min at the hostess stand before just walking in to seat ourselves. We were greeted by a waitress or bartender who looked at us but didn't acknowledge us. Then anger server told us we had to go see the hostess to be seated. We finally got to a table and had a great server and a good experience. There is a Starbucks in the sundry shop. I went in to get a beverage but the staff were to busy in the back chatting about boyfriends to be acknowledged so I left before being served. The banquet staff were excellent, attentive, personable, professional and efficient! The food was spectacular! The banquet rooms are gorgeous and very tastefully decorated for the season. We ate at the Autumn restaurant for breakfast. The menu has a little bit of everything to please all palates. We were a party of seven and everyone was thrilled with their breakfast choices. I could not decide between the pumpkin pancakes or the peach brioche French toast. So I did a split order of both. They did not disappoint. Very tasty and filling. The portion sizes were very generous. The staff, especially Olga, were excellent, professional and personable. The prices were very fair for the quality, quantity and atmosphere of the restaurant. We are planning a return visit to the resort with our kids to experience more of what the resort has to offer.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the fourth floor don't have elevator access. You must walk up a flight of stairs.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jupiter, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Went there to celebrate my 86th birthday with the whole family. Found it to be a great place.
Golf course was interesting and challenging. Food and overall dining experience superior.
Not too much to do off of the property as far as shopping and antiquing, which is something I enjoy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Nemacolin is an amazing place with activities for all ages. Whether you like to ski, swim, off road, golf, relax, pay arcade games, see wild animals, or complete ropes courses, there is literally something for everyone.

We vacationed at Nemacolin during Thanksgiving weekend and participated in the Thanksgiving brunch which was absolutely amazing. In addition to the wide range of food items from your traditional turkey dinner to eggs Benedict and dessert, the staff had multiple arts and crafts projects for the kids to complete.

The staff at Nemacolin is one of a kind. Every single staff member that we encountered during our trip was gracious and kind. During the Thanksgiving brunch, staff members were so happy, cheerful, and fun to be around even though I am sure it's not easy to work on a holiday like Thanksgiving.

One other area in which I think that Nemacolin excels is the way in which they plan their events so that they are not over crowded and unenjoyable for the guests. Restaurants, buffets, and events were never so crowded that you were squeezing through people or we had to worry about my children not being able to see what was happening.

The overall focus of the staff at Nemacolin in on the experience. They don't just want you to run around and participate in every event or attraction but they want to be sure that while you are participating, that you have the most amazing experience doing so.

I would highly recommend Nemacolin to family and friends and we intend to return in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lodge which was very convenient to most of the activities that we participated. The...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We enjoyed Nemacolin for the first time with our kids 12, 10, and 8 in November. We stayed at the Falling Rock Resort and were wonderfully surprised at how excellent our stay was. The rooms are beautiful and spotless, the service was kind, abundant, and there was a sincere joy in all the employee's regarding their positions. The Aqueous Steakhouse was delicious. Special thank you to Tommy, our Butler, Brian, Greg from the Adventure Center, and the attentive housekeeping staff. We will be going back this summer and can't wait.

Room Tip: Falling Rock is quiet, contemporary, and beautiful. It takes a family get away and actually allows...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#2 of 4 in Farmington
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!