“Eclectic and Average but Enjoyable”

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Eclectic and Average but Enjoyable”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Nemacolin for his birthday. I had minimal expectations upon arrival so as a result I was impressed by some aspects of the resort and confussed by others.
I have had the opportunity to stay in 5 star hotels and resorts both in the U.S. and abroad and found Nemacolin to be lacking in the 5 star classification by comparison. The resort as a whole is an eclectic mix of personality and decor. We stayed in the Chateau which is a reasonable attempt at a European grand hotel. Our room was impressive; very large with french doors opening to a balcony and a proportionately large bathroom. The Chateau is connected by a winding hallway to the Lodge portion of the resort. A walk between the two left me questioning the intent and perspective of the decorator/design team or if it was intended to be a tribute to the resorts owner, Joe Hardy.
Our dining experience ranged from a mediocre brunch at Autumn to an excellent dinner at Aqueous. The quality and preparation of our meals was not lacking in any way at Aqueous and we found the service from both the wait staff and somelier to be attentive, knowledgable and friendly.
During our stay I visited the Woodlands Spa. From arrival to departure it was outstanding experience. Small details were well thought out and executed and my masseuse was exceptional for my 80 minute deep tissue. I enjoyed that the gym is connected to the spa; I could have spent the entire day in the spa area if time was not a factor.
In my opinion, Nemacolin does not deserve a five star rating but overlooking the average and eclectic decor and design, we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Independence, Ohio, Usa
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Finally made it to Nemacolin and I am so glad I did. The resort is well appointed as was the room in the chateau. Very large and well maintained. I also enjoyed the Woodlands Spa experience. The resort offers numerous activities, a convenient shuttle service and a variety of dining options at various price points. The food and dining experiences were great. I would say that the resort employs one of the most courteous, professional and knowledgeable staffs I have ever encountered. I am already thinking about my next trip to Nemacolin.

Room Tip: Room at the chateau was quite large, providing a nice sitting area, large bathroom, and ample storag...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I spent Saturday night at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort to celebrate her birthday. We love the resort. There is so much to do and see. Every staff member from the valet parking attendant to the front desk personnel to the managers/servers in the restaurants make you feel special. We stayed in the Links Townhouses. On Sunday morning we walked out on the deck and there some 40 yards away was Nemacolin's famed White Buffalo. In the distance we saw a camel and zebras. Across the street was the lion and tiger enclosure. It's not everyday you wake up living in the middle of a zoo. The golf courses and grounds are beautifully maintained and there are plenty of paths and walkways to enjoy it all. It takes several days to enjoy all that Nemacolin has to offer. It's a great place for couples or families. We'll be back.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was looking for a special and romantic place within driving distance that would provide my wife and me with a memorable experience as a way to spend our 25th wedding anniversary. Nemacolin was that much and more and delivered an incredible experience from beginning to end. We stayed in the Cub Level of the Chateau which included butler services, continental breakfast each morning, tea & snacks in the afternoon, cocktails with hors d'oeuvres in the evening as well as turn down services and before bedtime treats. The staff was always happy and eager to help with whatever was needed. We stayed 4 nights and found no shortage of things to do on or off the resort. The fine dining experiences were outstanding and the casual dining was very good too. We couldn't have been happier with our choice to spend our special anniversary at Nemacolin. We would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: For the romantic atmosphere we chose the Chateau and were happy that we did. Modeled after the Ritz...
1 Thank Chirpy B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Chateau. The employees were neither attentive nor all that caring. We showed up at 3:30 and had to wait for our room until 4:30. When we told the front desk assistant while checking in we had never been there we were handed a "bird in the hand" pamphlet and sent on our way. After living in Pittsburgh for all of our lives we always wanted to visit this place. Pretty disappointing. We ate at Autumn, which was mediocre the 1st night. The second night was ate in and ordered room service - word of caution - do not order room service, it was insanely expensive and TERRIBLE. The pizza was the worst we both had ever had. Clearly no one cares about the food they serve their clients because I cannot imagine a manager tasting the pizza and thinking it was ok to send off to their clients. The cost of a small pizza, wings, two slices of cake and a couple sodas was $80 with tip! We also did the Spa, which was very nice, however extremely over priced. We spent $600 for 2 hours. All in all, leaving pretty annoyed with the pricing and very disappointed in the staff, and food. The room itself was nice, but no use of "their" mini-frig was allowed. One last thing, there are no vending machines, so you are stuck with what's in the mini-bar and the pricing to boot.

1 Thank astewart127
Guest S, Manager at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your October 2013 stay. First, on behalf of the entire staff of Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, I would like to apologize for the challenges you faced during your visit and assure you that the incidents you described do not reflect the level of service that we wish to provide our guests. We take great pride in our customer service and work very hard to train our associates at all levels. It displeases us to learn that we have failed you during your recent visit.

Our “Bird In The Hand,” is designed to provide our guests with a plethora of knowledge, from hours of operation to a resort interior and exterior map. We understand that the many amenities and size of our property can be overwhelming. Our associates at the Front Desk and Nemacolin Experience Desk are glad to assist with answering questions and scheduling reservations. We will review this process with our associates to make sure that verbal communication is practiced first and foremost over “handing a ‘Bird In The Hand.’”

We are disappointed that you feel our Resort is “Overrated and Overpriced,” and that your experience did not reflect the value. Again, please accept my apologies as we obviously fell short in a number of areas during your stay. We very much appreciate your feedback, as it is invaluable in ensuring that the resort and our associates continue to offer each guest an exceptional experience. We do hope that you took the time to fill out our Departure Survey, so that we may gain additional insight into your stay. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you will give Nemacolin Woodlands Resort another opportunity.
Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

A decent resort, the food was good but expensive, for the price, the rooms could have been a lot better. It is an intereting place, but a little odd. The food was excellent, and there is a lot to do, but it is just lacking something.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Resort. First and foremost, we would like to apologize for the challenges you encountered. It displeases us that you have such a mixed review of our property and assure you that your feedback does not reflect the level of service or experience that we wish to provide our guests.

Please note that we do take guest feedback very seriously and share each review with the appropriate departments and our General Manager. We do hope that you took the time to complete our Departure Survey so that we may gain some additional insight into your stay and follow-up accordingly. It is our sincere wish that you will give Nemacolin Woodlands Resort another opportunity to showcase the world-class resort and customer service that is associated with our Brand. Thank you!
Big Pool, Maryland, USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I recently stayed at Nemacolin and had an emergency in my family. I was required to leave a day early. We notified the front desk at 4:00 PM that we had a death in the family. While the front desk was sympathetic, they made no offer to adjust our bill or provide us a credit for a future stay. We will find another resort that is more customer's service oriented.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Cobblestone Hotel & Suite - Connellsville
Historic Summit Inn
Historic Summit Inn
#2 of 4 in Farmington

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!