“50th birthday celebration”

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited Nemacolin this past week-end. A beautiful resort in a beautiful part of Pennsylvania. We stayed at the chateau and we were very happy with the room. The floors to ceiling windows were magnificent and the view was gorgeous with all the changing colors. It was just a lovely place to come back to at the end of the day and relax. The staff gave us a nice complimentary bottle of wine for my husband’s birthday. The whirlpool tub was a great addition. The cleaning staff was not the best. They did not empty trash cans or take dirty glasses. Our room also had a few problems like a running toilet and a safe that didn’t work but these didn’t bother us. This is a very big resort and a nice place for walking. We purchased the adventure pass on Saturday and we were able to do the zip line, climbing wall, and jeep demo. All were fun. We would like to have rented bikes for a little bit as well however could not justify the price of $40.00 for 2 for an hour. Just seemed a little high. We had dinners at both Lautrec and Aqueous. We enjoyed both, but Aqueous was our favorite. We did not find much entertainment after dinner. We would have liked to go to a bar at the hotel to have an after dinner drink but their really wasn’t anything that appealed to us. The cigar bar was very smoky with cigarettes as well as cigars. We have been to cigar bars before but I believe the ventilation at Nemacolin was not up to par. The lobby bar was empty and the tavern appeared to be a younger crowd. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would return. Next time we would bring our golf clubs since the courses looked great.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our first trip to Nemacolin and we had a wonderful 2-night stay in one of the townhouses with two other couples. The guys enjoyed two rounds of golf while the ladies relaxed at the spa. I cannot say enough about the food! Everything that we ate while at the resort, from the Tavern to the Aqueous restaurant, was excellent. When we return, we will choose another accommodation, as the townhouse was a little dated and the sofa bed was very uncomfortable. Next time, we will splurge and stay at the Falling Rock. It is a beautiful contemporary-style hotel...a little piece of paradise! We look forward to returning!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent 2 nights over Columbus Day weekend and had a lovely time. The resort is beautiful and the service was amazing, but....I don't think it is worth the price. The pros: lodge room was comfortable, dinner at Aqueous was fabulous and the couples massage was amazing. However, for $400 + tax + mandatory resort fee I think there is room for improvement. Specifically, at this price point I expect there to be a safe in the room and a minibar that cools instead of having a sign that says it isn't meant to cool. The outdoor pool and hot tub were closed for the season, but it was $10 to use the indoor pool unless you had a spa appt that day. It was $8 to play mini golf, $5 to ride the chairlift and on and on...again why are these little things not included? I can see the golfing, the shooting academy, the driving experience being seperate but the little things make you feel like you are being nickel and dimed. We also had no wifi access in our room or in the lobby and when I asked, the response was "oh, it never works". As I said, the treatment at the spa was great, just be aware the whirlpools and sauna are not coed so be prepared to spend time by yourself if you are a couple. If we could have gotten the military rate of $79-$129, it would have been worth it. But unless you have money to burn I think you can do much better elsewhere.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

First time visit to Nemacolin to celebrate our anniversary. Stayed at Falling Rock Lodge and had a wonderful time. First class accommodations and service. Beautiful time to visit given fall foliage and crisp weather. Off season, so not very crowded. Military rate made this affordable for us and it was a great value. Lots to do, even for non-golfers. Spa was superb and Autumn was an outstanding masseuse. Meals were very good and anniversary dinner at Aqueous was exceptional. The top flight service, particularly by Brad our butler, made our stay especially enjoyable

Room Tip: Rooms at Falling Rock are adult only, spacious and well appointed.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Had a wonderful experience on a guys get away in Mid May of this year. The rooms were great and the golf courses were in great shape and the spa facilities were wonderful. Would like to come back in the future

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I went to Nemacolin Woodlands on a 3 day package for our 40th wedding anniversary. The staff of the resort treated us very well and without exception were courteous, friendly and accomodating. We stayed at the Lodge. The room was confortable and nicely appointed. The food was exceptional, especially at Lautrec. There were plenty of activities, even for non-golfers like us. We were given unexpected treats in honor of our anniversay. Nemacolin is nestled in the Laurel Highlands section of Western Pennsylvania, which is a beautiful setting. The fall foliage during our visit was just beginning to turn. We enjoyed viewing the splashes of color on the hillsides. Meals and lodging are expensive, though we got a good deal with the package. All in all it was a good value for making a special occasion especially memorable.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was my second time staying at Nemacolin. My husband and I stayed at this resort two years ago for New Year's Eve. Although we had a nice enough time, we were not overly impressed by the mystique of Nemacolin. This time around, I travelled with my mom for a girls' getaway.

First, the positives. We stayed in one of the LaFayette suites and our room was beautiful and quite large. The interior was a bit dated, but overall we were pleased with the accommodations. I scheduled a massage at the Woodlands Spa and it was nothing short of fantastic. Autumn was wonderful and I left feeling quite relaxed. I highly recommend the spa experience.

Now for the less than positive...we had dinner at the Tavern b/c we were looking for a relaxed and casual meal. In my previous trip with my husband, we enjoyed the Tavern quite a bit. This time was a different experience. The menu had changed, and in my opinion, not for the better. The prices went up and the portions were quite small. We were both actually still hungry after finishing our entrees. The food was quite bland and the service was less than stellar. I understand that we did not choose to dine at the 5 star Laurtec, but I still expected decent food and service and were quite disappointed with our meal experience.

The gym/fitness area was one of the biggest disappointments. I had truly hoped that the machines had been updated since my last trip, but this was not the case. For a resort that claims to be at the highest level and luxury, the fitness area is a sad joke. The treadmills must be at least 10-12 years old and the ellipticals creak and need to be replaced. The cardio area leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot understand why a resort of this caliber wouldn't update their fitness area.

All in all, after two trips to Nemacolin, I am not overly impressed with this resort and feel that it is overrated. Considering price and the quality of facilities, I feel the other area resorts are superior. I have enjoyed my stays at Seven Springs and Oglebay more. I can't say that I will be in a hurry to return to Nemacolin.

Room Tip: After staying in both a lodge room and the LaFayette suite, definitely spring for the suite!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Diana H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
The Lodge at Chalk Hill
#1 of 1 in Chalk Hill

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!