“Girls Spa Weekend!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Farmington
Murrysville, Pennsylvania
“Girls Spa Weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Just wanted to chime in here. I was here for one night, meeting up with GF's, we were celebrating a 40th birthday. We had two BEAUTIFUL well appointed rooms. We spent the day at the spa on Saturday and had lavish treatments. The staff at the Woodlands Spa were very accommodating and friendly. It was raining all weekend, but being in the spa we didn't care. I can't wait to go back with my husband!!!!

Room Tip: Our rooms were VERY nice! Very large and roomy, we must have been in a suite level.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank prcamp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Bradford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at the resort for a conference that my husband attended. There were activities scheduled for the guests that were just wonderful. On the first morning I had a wonderful facial at the Spa with a very helpful attendant. Later that day I went to the Academie du Vin for an informative wine tasting and wine cellar tour. The Sommelier was knowledgeable and entertaining. On the second day I chose to attend a cooking class held in a beautiful restaurant, Lautrec, where Chef Kristin Butterworth and two assistants prepared a delicious three course offering for us. She was so patient in explaining all the steps for making this wonderful meal that I feel confident I will attempt this at home. It was a highlight of my time at Nemacolin. When my husband and I had some free time we took a tour of the grounds (breathtaking!) and spent some fun time at the Wildside, playing arcade games and bowling.
Aside from the many activities, I have good things to say about our accommodations and the food service. While our room in Chateau Lafayette was on the small side, it was comfortable. The bed pillows were lumpy but this is rather inconsequential. We had a great buffet the first night at Falling Rock and on the second evening a nice dinner served in the Marquis Ballroom. The entertainment that evening went a little long but otherwise the food and service was very good.
My husband and I had stayed at Nemacolin Woodlands over twenty years ago and my, how it has changed! It is a beautiful resort - one that we look forward to returning to someday.

Room Tip: We stayed right across form the Spa - very convienent!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We walked into our room and were greeted by an unmade bed, a dirty used wine glass, newspapers/magazines everywhere, and used toiletries, dirty towel and a razor (with hair in it) in our bathroom. The front desk offered no apologies, no comps, and informed us there were "no other rooms available" and that they would clean it while we were away at the wedding. When we returned to our room (keep in mind we had to get dressed/ready in a dirty room) the dirty wine glass, crumpled up newspapers and used toiletries were all still there. Five stars? seriously? We've stayed at nicer rooms at Best Westerns, with far better service. The front desk also needs an attitude adjustment. That being said all the other staff members were friendly and helpful. We had a great time at the wedding, but would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone we know.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank pvomm
NemacolinWoodlands, Manager at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
We are grateful you have taken the time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. Our number one goal is to provide an excellent customer service experience, and in reading your post, I was disappointed to learn that we failed to do so during your stay. I assure you that the incidents you describe do not reflect the level of service that we wish to provide our guests.

On behalf of the entire staff of Nemacolin, I would like to apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to describe your resort experience so corrective action can be taken so situations like yours do not occur in the future at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. I have shared your feedback with the Director of Lodging and Housekeeping regarding the state of your room and the lack of response to your requests.

On a positive note, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the wedding festivities as well as mentioned the friendly and helpful service you received. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we hope that you will give Nemacolin Woodlands Resort another chance.
Manchester, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Not a 5 diamond stay. Couldn't engage shower pull...had to leave for all day event without a shower. That evening, engineer advised that we should brace our back against the wall to get enough leverage to release the pull since it was "a little stiff". Had engineering back 2 more times in 3 days to resolve TV issues. Front desk staff and manager were generally apathetic to our concerns. Food for our event was mediocre and a dinner at a hotel restuarant, Autumn, was good, but not great. Not a 5 diamond experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Nancy C
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your last stay at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. I speak for the resort when I extend my sincere apologies regarding the unacceptable experiences that you have encountered on your recent visit to our resort. We do take pride in offering our guests the very best; therefore, I was disappointed to learn that we failed to do so during your stay.

I have forwarded your feedback to our Director of Engineering, Lodging and Food & Beverage. I can assure you that each issue mentioned will be addressed within the departments. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and I sincerely hope that you will give Nemacolin Woodlands Resort another opportunity.
Pinehurst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We had not been to Nemacolin for a decade and what a difference, at least in Falling Rock accomodations. Pricey but it is an architectural masterpiece with rooms in top 5 we have ever experienced anywhere worldwide. Service and bedding is exceptional, as is butler service throughout these rooms. Frank Lloyd Wright would have loved it and if you love Fallingwater, the similarities are numerous...except Falling Rock more functional. Would recommend to friends, clients and family.

1 Thank ritzytopaz
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We had an excellent stay at Nemacolin. The staff were very friendly and greeted you cordially in the halls, etc. We had a suite on the third floor - it had two queen beds, a sitting area, a dining area with a mini bar set up, coffee maker, etc. and a huge bathroom - I did wish the bathroom had two sinks instead of one, but it worked out okay as there were three ladies! We ate at Autumn for two breakfasts and one dinner, and the food was very good. I had the crepes one morning and they were delicious. We also ate at Aqueous which was also great - we were on the west side of the restaurant and enjoyed a spectacular sunset during dinner. I had the filet and risotto, it was excellent.

The spa was great. I had the 50 minute body polish with the Vichey shower- wonderful! I also had a facial and my friend had the 25 minute body polish.

Everyone was very friendly except when we went up to the Links pro shop, I felt like I was bothering the clerks. They didn't say anything to us or ask if we needed help, etc. and I wanted to find something for my father. When we were leaving I saw they had a second floor and they never even mentioned it to us!

We did go to Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, the Frank Llyod Wright houses to tour them. That was also great. We visited the Christian Kay winery and bought some wine, but I thought we would be able to tour where they make they wine, but nothing like that was available.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I would describe this place as a modern day "Dirty Dancing" resort. Unfortunately, we had a mixed experience so I felt pretty ambivalent at the end of our stay.
Good:
The Spa was luxurious and clean. I could have stayed all day. My husband really enjoyed the skeet shooting. There is also a nice variety in activities. The grounds are beautiful, and the staff goes out of its way to meet your every request. We found Lautrec and Aqueous to be very good restaurants.
Bad:
Our first room had damp carpet and mold - we were staying in the Chateau. I didn't really notice this til our second day and we were quickly switched. But ewww, this shouldn't happen at over $300 a night. The resort was really empty so some activities either weren't available or closed early. There also aren't a lot of options for entertainment when it rains.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank l0ves_t0_plan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills
Historic Summit Inn
Historic Summit Inn
#2 of 4 in Farmington

Been to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!