“Excessively long wait for food; very small portions”
Review of Annabel Lee Tavern

Annabel Lee Tavern
Ranked #154 of 2,037 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canton
Richmond, Virginia
“Excessively long wait for food; very small portions”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We went to Annabel Lee on a Sunday evening. We had made a reservation for the three of us and were shown to a high bar-style table with stools. As a note, sitting on these types of stools for several hours is unpleasant. We ordered two appetizers to share both off the specials menu and three entrees -- crab cakes and two orders of a fish special. And then we waited, and we waited some more and even more. The appetizers took 45 minutes before they appeared. We waited 45 minutes for 2 loaded potato skins and 4 small clams casino. We paid over $20 for those two appetizers. The clams casino were way too salty and the loaded potato skins had little flavor. We were not impressed.

Our entrees came and the crab cakes were good but the fish specials again were pricey and the portions were extremely small. There was a small piece of fish over crab imperial, approximately 1/3 of a plate of risotto which was quite bland, 4 tiny spears of asparagus which had some strange spice on them and then some completely undressed greens which covered the 1/2 of the plate which hadn't been used. They were there just to hide the fact that there was little on the plate.

We definitely don't know what the raves are all about.

• Visited May 2013

Elkridge, Maryland
“Cozy, tavern with delicious food with Jazz music!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went to this cozy, tiny tavern yesterday to celebrate mother's day. I wanted to try a new restaurant this weekend and of course, browse through the tripadvisor's list of best rated restaurants in Baltimore city which are more reasonably priced. This one definitely falls under that category. I read the reviews, looked at the photos, and watched the video as well. My daughter and I ordered the crabcakes and they are pretty good. I wouldn't say they are the best but among the best. I had tried better ones but at least comparable. She had the crabcake sandwich and came with a side of sweet potato fries which I considered the best I had ever tried. We added $2 to substitute the duck fat fries but since they erroneously brought the sweet potato fries, we got to try both. My daughter prefers the duck fat fries but I prefer the sweet potato fries. My husband ordered the rosemary tenderloin beef gyro with a side of greek salad which he said was really good. The dessert, salted caramel crunch cake as recommended by most reviewers and the waiter is sure a winner, unique and delicious!

We enjoyed the service which was outstanding and the jazz music which my entire family enjoyed very much along with the ambiance and deco. It is a tiny place and we were glad that we were there early at 4:30pm or so. By 5:30pm, the crowd was swamping in. We enjoyed everything here, sure be back!

• Visited May 2013
Suttons Bay, Michigan, United States
“Best crabcakes in Baltimore!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We asked everyone who had the best crabcakes in Baltimore. All responses were different and often conflicting. We went with the hotel bartender's recommendation and took the can ride from the convention center area to Canton and Annabel Lee's. We gave up our reserved table to sit at the lovely bar. PRAY they have the Brussels sprout appetizer when you go. It was unlike anything I'd ever had and so so delicious. I also had the crab cake platter. One cake was plenty. It was full of large chunks of sweet crab and very little if any filling. They were amazing!! The bartender recommend a great beer from their extensive list. Desert looked great but we were too full. To get back, we walked up to Eastern Ave. and caught a cab pretty quickly, but it was still daylight. This is a can't miss on any trip to Baltimore.

NJ
“Cozy Pub”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Very small pub, great local beers, the food was unique and delicious. Had the Mussels Nantucket for an appetizer - Wow - they were great and unlike anything I have ever had anywhere before. Crab cakes were very large and delicious. Service was good - It's a pub, not a restaurant. We got there just as they opened. If your not familiiar wiith the area, it is about 15 minutes away from the inner harbor, but certainly worth the trip. Not far from Fells Point area. This pub is definitely a place that I will return to over and over.

Salem, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Neat place with good food”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to find a Poe-themed pub and this place came well recommended. Experience started rough as we go there a few minutes before opening and they opened the door for us, then once we started to sit they started telling us to get out. They were so rude we were about to just go somewhere else, but the bartender apologized and said we could wait, which we did. The food was fantastic and the drinks were pretty good too. The dessert was also very good. Overall, if we discount the problems when we first got there, a good experience.