“Enjoyable”
Review of Cinghiale

Cinghiale
Reserve with OpenTable
Cinghiale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 2,075 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: S Exeter St
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Valet parking was convenient. Comfortable seating. Lighting was perfect for ambience. Good menu choices. The appetizers were perfect. Entrees were good, the bass might be salty for some diners but was fine for me. The panna cotta dessert was excellent. The chocolate cake was too dry for my liking. I see some reviewers complained about portion size. While it's not a place to go if you want to stuff yourself the portions left me pleasantly sated without feeling stuffed. Service was excellent without being intrusive.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We found it hard not to rate this place at 4 stars. Good menu, lots of interesting dishes, pretty good service, nice ambiance. Why the disappointment? Dishes were generally good, but they lacked edge. Nothing was really outstanding, and given the price, something should have stood out. Plates were spare, and we left a bit hungry despite two appetizers (small plates) two entrees, and a shared dessert for the two of us. The four course option might have been a better choice in retrospect. It could have been the "Sunday night" phenomenon, where you get the line cooks but not the top chef in the kitchen so results were a little uninspiring. BTW, the dessert was the best dish we ate. Still, we might take an out of town visitor here, and it's quiet enough and classy enough for a four person business dinner. Almost reasonably priced for a high-end Italian restaurant, but not cheap.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We walked into this Harbor East eatery at random for dinner on a Friday night. There was immediate seating at 7pm and there were always a few tables available. The place is pretty large and moderately dressy to business casual.

Food - We chose from the 3-course $29 menu. A $69 per person menu with large secondi plates and an expanded assortment of desserts and appetizers is also available. We started with the fresh homemade ricotta with beets and blood orange - it was sensational. This was the highlight of the meal - neither my husband nor I could finish the large serving size. I wish the rest of the meal had followed suit. The bread was a nice fresh darker wheat bread accompanying a very nice fennel salted foccacia, which was a good complement to the ricotta. For entree, I had the spaghetti with marinara - it wasn't anything special with a fairly acidic marinara and al dente but totally unremarkable spaghetti. My husband had the Lasagna, which was scant in sauce and a bit unfulfilling, smallish, flat and dry with overly-charred cheese on top - it was like a little dense lasagna brick. The tiramisu dessert is long and thin like a cigar and was pretty weak (only one layer), and was only saved by the caramel that it was served with... something that doesn't really belong with tiramisu but was essential to this one. We didn't finish it even though it was small (out of sheer disappointment). The chocolate brownie with mousse was very good and the small scoop of pomegranate sorbet with peripherally decorated pomegranate seeds was the high point of the brownie plate. Overall, with 2 beers, a glass of wine and two prix fixe menu selections, we paid about $90 plus tip. It wasn't worth the bill - the food was overpriced and most places that do homemade pasta do pasta better than they do here. My husband gave it 6.5/10 and I went higher but not much higher.

Service - Very attentive, the server was very knowledgable about the dishes and wine pairings, quick to bring more bread and drinks, and was extraordinarily polite.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this spot - so many options in the area that are better for the same price, some for cheaper.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

There's a lot of good things to say about Cinghiale. Great service, complementary valet parking, large wine selection, alluring decor, choice between a dressy or more casual side of the restaurant, awesome bread, and options for pre fixe or a-la-carte menus.

However, though food quality is certainly good, I'm not sure the prices justify them to that extent. I'm a fan of the soups and desserts (especially the tiramisu). The entrees, on the other hand, are small in portion size, high in price, and offers a taste that doesn't necessarily rival other competitors.

Cinghiale is definitely worth trying, but you'll likely be pay for the experience, services, and atmosphere, rather than for the food.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Tuesday nights are half price bottles of wine, which makes them reasonable. And the restaurant has a lovely atmosphere for drinking the wine. As for the food, don't bother. The three course meal seems like a good deal until you actually get the food...what little food there is! I have to say it was the worst lasagna I have ever had. A frozen lasagna thrown in a microwave in our hotel would have been better. And how does an Italian place run out of a signature dessert like tiramisu on a Tuesday night with half the place full. I try to be reasonable in my reviews, but I feel the need to recommend avoiding this place.