“Half Price Wine Night”
Review of Cinghiale

Cinghiale
Reserve with OpenTable
Cinghiale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 2,089 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: S Exeter St
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Went for half price wine night (strongly recommend). I get their handmade pasta every time, simple and to the point but incredible.

Wait staff is VERY knowledgeable about their wines which helps as I am trying to learn.

Atmosphere: like most of their other spots (Charleston, Pazo) incredibly well decorated. We sat in the "bistro" side of the room, a lot of booth seating.

Price point is just like any other harbor east spot, you get what you pay for. Expect to pay higher prices for better food, I think its an understood thing.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Overall, this was one of the best dining experiences my wife and I have enjoyed. The combination of the quality of food, excellent but unobtrusive service, and overall atmosphere and decor of the restaurant made for a wonderful evening. All of the dishes we tried were excellent and obviously made from high quality and fresh ingredients. Of particular note were the pasta dishes, including a traditional spaghetti dish and a ravioli. The pasta was cooked to perfection (slightly al dente) and the sauces and fillings were outstanding. We are fans of all of the Foreman/Wolf restaurants, but found this recent dinner to be the best of the bunch.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I really enjoyed my dinner here, as a sola diner. I was warmly received and had excellent service from beginning to the end. I chose the 4 course fixed price offering and the fall menu is outstanding. The grilled calamari were very nicely seasoned and tender, White truffles on buttery tagliatelle. I also tried the partridge, and found it very nicely done and accompanied by a perfectly prepared red cabbage and grapes that went well with the bird.All that followed by a light as air panne cotte with a hint of salty caramel sauce. The wine list is long and lots of choices for glasses, which is unusual even for fine dining. This feels like an authentic osteria, carefully prepared food and well selected wine, in an informal and friendly atmosphere. Take advantage of the seasonal menu. It is worth the extra splurge.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Booked this restaurant based on the fact that it was Umbrian/Italian and had Montefalco wines- it far exceeded expectations. he wine list was amazing - several Monefalco wines to choose from and reasonably priced. The fixed price $29 menu is amazing for the price- wonderful bruschettas of the day - 6 different ones, and then a choice of several pasta dishes including an outstanding wild boar pasta that was as good as any we had in Umbria, and a choice of a couple of great desserts. Next time we will go more hungry and try the 4 course fixed prce with a more substantial main course- the items on that looked very good. The service was very, very good. The ambiance in the restaurant was vibrant and humming but you could still talk at normal levels and be heard. We will definitely go again.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have wanted to return to Cinghaile after having had lunch here a couple of years ago. I had also been to both Charleston and Petit Louis, so I figured this one had to be as good. Unfortunately, it wasn't due to problems with both service and food. There was some good stuff, but overall a disappointment.

We had reservations in the Enoteca (bar) because we wanted a more casual experience. For the record, I don't think my problems would have been alleviated had we eaten in the formal dining room. We had reservations at 6:00 so we arrived a bit early to enjoy a cocktail at the bar. We were greeted at the door by an army of VERY friendly young hosts and hostesses, well dressed and attentive. We moved over to the bar and were greeted by a less than friendly bartender. She was very officious, and didn't crack a smile. She handed me the drink menu and a wine menu, but when I told her I just wanted a martini, she acted as if I had just insulted her and walked away to make the drink. Oh well. Didn't come here to talk to you anyway. So far, not off to a good start. I did manage to make her smile by complimenting her twice on her martini. But other than that I had the feeling she had no use for me. Moving on.

Our dinner guest arrived and we moved onto our table in the bar. We opted for the wine pairing meal at $92 per person as a treat. This afforded us four courses and a "glass of wine" with each course. In my opinion, they didn't pour enough wine for each course. I enjoy a small sip with each small bit to appreciate the coupling. In each course save the dessert, I was done with the wine before I finished the food. But I digress. To start with, our server was fine. He knew how to pronounce all the hard Italian words and was able to recommend a very expensive glass of wine to go along with our final cheese course. But again I digress. The other army of servers that waited on us also made sure our water glasses were filled and our food arrived in competent intervals without feeling rushed. There was one waiter that mumbled very quietly the long italian names of our wine to the point where we just gave up trying to hear him. Fortunately they provide you with a card that has all the names so listening is not mandatory.

We started with a meat tray. Let me just say this. Would I return to the restaurant, I would simply sit at the bar with a glass of wine and try all of their meats. They were astounding. I don't remember the names of them but they were all distinct and savory. Accompanied by the fresh bread and rich, sweet olive oil, i could have stopped here and been very happy.

My next dish was a snail dish. I didn't know they were snails because I don't speak Italian. Fortunately, I like snails. I ordered because the rest of the dish description sounded wonderful (accompanied by potato pancake and mushrooms). What was funny was the waiter kept saying over and over to me "you ordered the snails, correct sir?" as if I had the word RUBE written across my forehead. The dish came and I was seriously underwhelmed. Salty and heavy on the gravy. And in my humble opinion, not a good pairing. I figured the next course would make up for it.

I had the tagliatelle with venison for my pasta dish. Again, underwhelmed. Don't remember much about it except the pasta was cooked well and there were some chunks of meat in it. Pairing was okay, but didn't send me to the moon.

Main course was duck. The only time I have ever had duck was in a chinese restaurant so my review here might not be fair. Apparently duck is served RARE. I didn't realize that. It was tasty and probably the best dish of the evening. But I had to get past the fact that I was eating nearly raw poultry. I sort of enjoyed, but don't think I ever need to eat that again. And again, the pairing was very "meh".

For dessert I opted for the panacotta, having had a lovely version of this at a friends house recently and really enjoyed it. It was good. Not great. Pairing was again not memorable.

Then the night kind of went downhill. We gave our credit cards and gift certificate to the waiter and explained how we wanted to break it down. Not once. Not twice. Three times. But that wasn't the worst part. Apparently they were having "technical difficulties" processing credit cards. No worries. That happens a lot. But we sat there. And sat there. And sat there. A half an hour went by. How were we treated? Ignored. The waiter went out of his way to cast his glance away from us every time he walked by, presumably to avoid having to address us. After 25 minutes we sent one our companions to fetch cash from an ATM. Having had enough I finally asked for a cup of decaf just to have something for my remaining companion and I to occupy ourselves with while we waited. Shouldn't management have gotten involved at some point? We weren't the only ones suffering this same fate as other patrons started commiserating and saying that this part of the night ruined the whole experience.

So, okay food. Spotty service. Awesome atmosphere. GREAT meats and breads. No plans on coming back. But I will still go to Charleston and Petit Louis.