“Very mixed feelings about the restaurant”
Review of Cinghiale

Cinghiale
Reserve with OpenTable
Cinghiale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 2,078 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: S Exeter St
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We arrived for our reservations and were promptly seated. Yet, after that, service was disorganized and somewhat disinterested. We were served water, bread brought to the table, waitress gave us menus. Then, about 15 minutes later, our drink orders were taken. We ordered wine and appetizers and they finally arrived. From being seated to the drinks and appetizers arriving was about 45 minutes. Our daughter ordered the soup which we all tried and all agreed was tasteless. The rest of the appetizers -- five in total - were good to excellent but the portion sizes were laughably small. Maybe we're the fools for paying these prices but I would think the restaurant would be somewhat embarrassed too! The main courses were uniformly very good and the portion sizes of the soft-shelled crab and the pasta were fine. Two of us had grouper, one had duck. The portion sizes were on the small side but acceptable and should have been served with some vegetable. We ordered side dishes the minute we saw the portion size and the sides -- all excellent -- were delivered promptly. Also, somewhat surprising for a fine restaurant, servers did not know who ordered what and "auctioned" off the food when it came to the table. Desserts were very good but the cheese platter we ordered was a disappointment. Small (though very tasty) cheese portions indifferently put on a plate with a few crackers. No sides of fruit, jams, honey or other items we have seen on cheese platters at fine restaurants.

Our conclusion: no need to return to the restaurant. Enjoyed most of the food some of which was excellent with a few big disappointments, very disappointed with portion sizes and service was disorganized and somewhat indifferent even though the place was not filled.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Overall I enjoyed this restaurant but the food was not spectacular. The italian food is well prepared and better than the average italian restaurant in Baltimore's Little Italy. Cinghiale has an excellent location in the trendy part of Harbor East. The atmosphere is very nice and I really like the choice between the formal dining room and the casual dining room serving the same menu. The service was above average. I would consider Cinghiale to be on the expensive side. I dropped $650 for a party of 4 which included a four course dinner, two bottles of decent wine and a round of limoncello (which was fairly good).

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Good overall experience, I went with my wife and we had the 4 course dinner, we tried grilled calamari, salmon tartare, ravioli and asparagus rissotto, the risotto needed a little more cooking time and less cheese, the other 3, especially the squid, was very tasty. For main we had Snapper and Rabbit, the snapper was the highlight of the night, the rabbit was a bit dry and tough but this is normal and I'm picky about rabbit. For dessert we had basil sorbette, which was very unique and good. As far as the atmosphere, it is a nicely decorated restaurant but I would've preferred to have more space, the tables were too close. The complimentary valet is a good feature but they didn't opened the door for my wife, small detail,mnot a big deal,min fact, I gained some points because I had to do it....overall, this place is worth trying it if you can afford it.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went there for the second time yesterday, but I don't think we will be going there again. We tried the tastings menu. Their portions are small and menu not very elaborate. The taste and presentation of the food was definitely good. What turned us off though was the slow service. We had to wait at least 20-25 minutes before our first course was served and 8-10 minutes if not more between each course. Even bringing up the wine took a long time.
The ambience though is good.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Went there for dinner with the family. Do not go with children. Staff was friendly but the food is not child friedly. good adult rest.