“Good Mexican food by Baltimore standards” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Bar, Southwestern, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good Mexican food by Baltimore standards”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We eat frequently at Zen West, and as someone wo comes from the southwest, I will sa hey have ver good Mexican food, especially by Baltimore standards. The chicken enchiladas are my favorite thing on the menu, and their nachos are also great. Rather than piling everything on a stack of chips, they dress individual chips with a lot of toppings so ouu don't have worry about getting a chip with nothing.

Good selection of drinks, friendly staff and good prices. Also, they have excellent fresh salsa and chips!

Bel Air, Md
“Funky and Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Went to Zen West on a Thurs nt..cute/funky decorations, very casual with outdoor seating and high top indoor tables that provide a nice view of the passers-by. Easy on street parking (may have been metered before 5p?). It was a nice night and there were large sliding windows by the table..cool breeze with a nice airy feel. There was a 1/2 Sangria 1/2 frozen Margarita drink that was delicious (not sure if it is on the menu, but we saw it on someone elses table and needed one badly!) The food was pretty solid all around...nachos came with shredded bbq beef and other toppings..toppings were a bit sparse (where's the cheese?) chicken enchilada: standard but good, portabello mushroom quesedilla-chok full and very good-served with pico and sour cream, chicken fried steak (don't know what possessed my daughter to try this) served with fried green beans, mashed potatoes, sauteed vegs and pico (I don't think the pico was a good match for the dish)- the green beans were yummy..the meat tasted OK to me but this is not something I would enjoy so take my opinion lightly, soft shell shrimp tacos..lots of tender shrimp with some toppings on the side and a "Purple Pig" a very generously filled pulled bbq beef sandwich with purple slaw and red onions..nice toasty roll; would have liked more slaw, served with standard fries-tender meat with a nice smoky flavor. Despite another review, I think the servings were generous in size. The service was a tad bit slow, but not so much that we got annoyed..besides we wanted to hang out, talk and enjoy our meal. For the 5 meals, with 2 frozen drinks and about 7 beers, the bill with tip was about 115.00...pretty reasonable. I think I would rate Zen West between average and very good overall.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Famontherun
Eastern Shore, MD
“Mediocre, at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

We only returned to Zen West several times because we had several Groupons. I only hoped we could use the three of the Groupons so we could stop going. The food is mediocre, bland, small portions, and generic. Kid selections are poor, including the children's nachos, which is a scoop of chips with cheese sauce on them. Really? I could get that at 7-11. I'm just glad I don't have to go back there, ever again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good food, decent atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

If you are looking for your basic mexican cuisine, this is an inexpensive nice place. The food is pretty good and the service is great! They serve up excellent margaritas as well, especially the golden margarita. They do not have a plethera of options but if you like good old fashion mexican food this is the place to go. The neighborhood is borderline but there is enough activity in this section of town that it is pretty safe. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great, authentic southwestern fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Awesome food, quick service! Fairly easy parking. Get the calamari appetizer, burrito was good so was the burger!

• Visited July 2011