“A hearty slice of the Caribbean”
Review of Trinidad Gourmet

Trinidad Gourmet
Ranked #861 of 2,176 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Born and raised on the beautiful island of Trinidad, Chuck and Donna Lochan developed a love for sharing homecooked meals with friends and family early on. After moving to Baltimore, they established Trinidad Gourmet in the Northern Baltimore neighborhood of Waverly in 2006. Sharing their passion for the unique tastes and sounds of Trinidad, these homegrown chefs celebrate Caribbean culture with traditional dishes and superior cuisine. Chuck and Donna believe in the importance of using fresh, flavorful ingredients to provide an authentic Trinidadian experience right here in Baltimore. Whether you're up to trying something new or craving authentic food from back home, come on in to Trinidad Gourmet and have a delicious meal at Baltimore's favorite Caribbean Restaurant.
Reviewed April 6, 2012

As an island man on the road, it is often important for me not only to find nourishing sustenance, but food that stirs the memory and reminds me of home. Trinidad Gourmet has exceeded in this regard. While staying in Baltimore with my lady friend, at her sister's house, we were delighted to learn that this restaurant was a short walk down the street. Her sister had the menu, and we ordered ahead. In record time, the meal was prepared and ready for pickup, so we opted to trot down (it was more a leisurely walk), and pick it up.

The roti was impeccable... The shells as I remember as a child, and filled to the brim with jerk chicken and all the niceties that accompany. I chose to go the more standard route of jerk chicken with rice and peas (red beans and rice to some). I was highly impressed by the fluffiness of the rice, the rich texture of the beans, and of course the spiciness of the jerk chicken! As I ate, it felt like I was at the family dinner table back in Jamaica.

Even the fried plantains were superior to what I can get in my local supermarket and fry up myself. This is definitely a restaurant that is keeping island culture and cuisine alive and well, for folks of all walks of life to appreciate! It will be a regular stop, every time we visit Baltimore.

Thank you Trinidad Gourmet for the flavorful walk down memory lane! Cool Runnings!

2  Thank belgeode

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I have SEVERAL places where I love to eat and call my favorite. But should I have to pick my last meal, hands down without hesitation still after 5 years, it would be the Curry Chicken Roti at Trinidad Gourmet with Ginger Tea to drink. My husband Keith always gets the Stew Chicken Roti.

Please watch our video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLot_MBVq74

The owners are an amazing couple and have the CLEANEST kitchen you would ever see! He says the health inspector only comes to eat at his restaurant when he's in the area! Chuck & Donna are very health conscious and take so much pride in the quality of their food and we love hearing about their latest healthy eating/living tip.

We frequent this place any & every time we're in the area. We even come out especially for this restaurant when we just can't get over our craving for it. The prices are absolutely incredible...soooo much food for the price! We buy a number of his sauces in large vats to take home and we put it on EVERYTHING. Definitely top on the list of FEEL GOOD food when we need a pick-me-up in mood and love it when we can top it off with a nap! LOL!

I keep saying that I want to try the other menu items...I know I would love it, but I just can't tear myself away from the Curry Chicken Roti! We talk to many of the customers that come while we're there and they all have their favorite...the oxtail is quite popular. Everyone we talk to there is always happy, friendly & engaging...isn't that interesting???

You must try the Ginger Tea (hot), even if it's summer...it's like nectar from the gods! Last time we got both the ginger tea and his homemade Bitters which is very refreshing and uplifting.

Please tell Chuck & Donna you saw their restaurant online with an amazing review as they would get so much joy out of that and they deserve it!

2  Thank ShannonFrench