“"b" gets an A”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mosher
Transit: 3 blocks from the Mt Royal Light Rail stop
Description: Since it opened in May, 2003, b bistro has been one of the most praised restaurants in Baltimore 'the critics choice' in annual 'best restaurants' ratings in the Baltimore Sun, BALTIMORE Magazine, and the City Paper. Come see what all the excitement's about. Sample fresh and imaginative b bistro cuisine with a range of daily specials and an eclectic, non-fussy, and reasonably-priced wine list. Enjoy dining in Bolton Hill, one of Baltimore's most stately and historic neighborhoods.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

b is a great neighborhood restaurant. Too bad it's not in our neighborhood!

We went during restaurant week, and we were really impressed by the menu. The grilled calamari was delicious, and the potato-crusted salmon was cooked perfectly. Homemade papardelli were full of flavor, and it paired well with a nice, affordable Italian wine.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Cozy, atmospheric restaurant has close-quartered indoor dining room seating and several outdoor patio-style furniture tables, chairs and umbrellas. (Great if you want to bring your doggie, but hard on your butt, since chairs have no cushions!)

Menu is limited, but dinner specials, seasonally themed, are varied and unique. I had the softshell crab app., which came on a tasty bed of pineapple and hicama. The mushoom ravioli entree was also delicious. My dinner companion ordered the rockfish entree, which I could not resist tasting because it was so pretty. Salads were large and crisp.

We got there 6:00, on a Tuesday eve., so street parking was plentiful, but when we left, I saw no open spots and the restaurant was filling up. Keep that in mind when you make a reservation. Our waiter and the two other servers were pleasant and attentive to all tables, The three of us in our party shared a scrumptuous dessert, a molten chocolate cake w/ salted caramel and coconut ice cream. Several other options, as well as a cheese board are available.

A bit on the pricey side, but worth it. I will be back.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Our party of four had a thoroughly pleasant Saturday dinner in this residential neighborhood restaurant. The menu, which changes very frequently, featured both standard and somewhat more exotic fare. The salted cod fritters, as an appetizer, were very interesting and tasty, as was the lamb ravioli. Dining was available both indoors and outdoors, and the wait staff seemed eager to please but not overbearing. All in all, this is a restaurant to which I would return. I particularly appreciated the fact that it is casual, yet the quality of the food is something that you would expect to find in a more formal restaurant.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Well, after a number of very satisfying trips to B - Bolton Hill Bistro, a stylish indoor/outdoor eatery owned by the brother of Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, we hit bottom last night. We took a party of six for a pre-concert dinner two and a half hours before the concert began, so there was no pressure on anyone.

To begin, the day had been unseasonably warm, so the air-conditioning inside was not running up to snuff and the outdoor seating was bathed in a late afternoon/early evening sun that made things a little "sticky". The maitre d' had selected an indoor table for us which was fine except for the blaring rock music which was finally turned way down after other customers complained.

B normally has a nice menu of appetizers, salads, small plates and entrees with a good wine list and a number of specials, and as usual, there were a number of attractive offerings. Warm, crusty bread in thick slices was brought to the table with the wine as well as the tiniest metal bowl of nice olive oil. It took a long, long time to get another bowl as there wasn't enough in the first one for more than three of us to get some oil on our bread plates. In previous visits, the oil had been placed on the table in a bottle which had more than adequate available portions. Obviously, the waitress didn't take into consideration that there were six at the table and served us enough oil for a couple.

Let's start with the wines. We selected a red and a white and by the time we got to the end of the first bottle of red, the second came with the unmistakable flavor of stale cork, so we sent it back along with the glasses (the waitress did not take mine for some reason - I guess she thought I did get any of the second bottle) and got a new kind.

There was a mix-up on salads with my wife's salad - it was to have no pepper because of an allergy - and was absolutely laced with it. It went back and again, it took a long time to get another salad without pepper - indicating that everything was premixed and that they had to "make" hers. My frisee salad with lardons and a poached egg came with the egg done medium except for the edges of the egg white which were totally raw!

Then came the entrees, my wife's again coming with a huge dose of pepper - obviously, the waitress had not listened or wasn't properly trained - or just didn't care. It took until all of us had nearly finished our entrees for my wife to get her pepper-free entree. Other duck breast entrees were reportedly good. Mine was to be lamb-stuffed agnelotti in a sage/brown butter sauce. The pasta was far too thick - as if the chef had given up on rolling the dough about halfway through the process. The sage/brown butter sauce was over-cooked and tasteless, but I was hungry and ate it anyway.

The restaurant was busy and never did cool down, and by the time we finished the entrees, it had been two hours and we were anxious to get on our way to the concert. One of my companions "chewed out" the waitress for her attentive-less service, and my wife stayed after we walked out to speak to the manager for several minutes. It was by far my worst restaurant experience in Baltimore for the last ten years. I'v eaten often at other Karzai restaurants and they have been consistently good. What a shock!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

We recently went with a friend to B Bistro to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was amazing -- each item had some special flourish that made it shine. I especially liked the roasted pumpkin with sat atop a delicate sauce of yogurt, mint, and garlic. My wife had a perfectly prepared Dorade fish, which she commented was the best whole fish she'd had in the U.S. and exceeded only by some of the food she's had in Italy. The service was super: very attentive and engaged but not uptight. Atmosphere was quiet, some of the tables are pretty close together, though we had a more spacious seat by a window.

There was no pressure to leave, even though the place was pretty busy.

We'll definitely be back.