“awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

glad to see that the old owners are back. the food is delicous. White pizzas are to die for. Calzones are huge. We will be ordering alot. Delivery was fast. Order taker was wonderful.

1 Thank radiationoncology

Alexandria
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's OK for the Neighborhood, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Zellas obviously went through some upheaval when it changed owners around 2011, which took it on a turn for the worst. Now it is under new ownership (I hear they are the old owners, but I don't know for sure). However, as a local place to eat, Zellas always had a low bar to jump. Zellas was always a "good for around here" place. Its pizza is good, but hardly the best in a city that is not really a pizza town. Zellas' appeal was it was close to Pig Town and Hollings Market (transitional neighborhoods) that saved you a trip downtown or east of the harbor to get a decent pizza. The people who worked there were also very likeable and knew how to connect with customers, which made the other negative aspects of the place seem minimal. The other eateries in the neighborhood are generally worst than Zellas, so if you wanted something little better, Zellas fit the bill. The convenience made you forget that the service was always a bit slow (even under the old management), and the menu had good salads and mediocre to bad sandwiches that were often supposed to be hot but served cold in the middle and slow (that hasn't changed with new ownership). Outside of the pizza, the menu is just a step above bar food. So when you go, get the pizza or a salad. So if we're back to the old Zellas, it's still just OK for the neighborhood.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Back in business!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

For the first two years it was open Zellas was the absolute place to be in my neighborhood. Good food, good friends, good drinks, all the time. Rather like Cheers, everyone knew you when you came in.
Then the owners sold the restaurant and everything collapsed. Terrible service, terrible food and terrible atmosphere. Just like that, a good part of our neighborhood community simply ended.
Which is why I could not be more thrilled Zella's has reopened under the initial management!! Excellent food with friendly service. Zella's is hands down the best pizza I've had in Baltimore. (Other than Toss, it's sister restaurant on York.) Plus their salads are large and fresh, not out of a bag.
While they don't yet have their liquor license, it is BYOB. I highly recommend coming down one evening with a bottle of wine and a big appetite. This place is a treasure just being dusted off again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Louisville, Kentucky
“Good, but not Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I'm a bit of a pizza snob if there is such a thing, so I was excited to try out this local pizzeria near our neighborhood in Baltimore. We got an order of wings (buffalo style) which were very meaty (some of the meatiest I've had - this is a GOOD thing!) but the flavor was a bit underwhelming and they could have been a bit more crispy. There were only two types of beer on draft which isn't a huge deal, but if you want variety this could be a major issue for some people. My wife and I each got 10 inch pizzas so we could take some home for lunch the next day. I got the Zella's Special and she got the Olive's Roasted Eggplant. The crust was of good quality, you could tell it was handmade, but it could have been cooked a few minutes longer for my taste. The sauce wasn't anything to write home about, and the toppings were just so-so. The cheese seemed to be of good quality though. If I were to rate it on taste alone I may have given it a two star rating, but the service was great. I don't think I'll go back, but still not a bad place to check out if you live nearby.

• Visited September 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
“Bring back the old owners/Zellas”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Zellas used to be my favorite place. In fact I delivered a stack of menus to Fed Hill friends when they first opened. Then they changed ownership. The staff have attitudes & could care less about the place being a business. They are constantly out of staple food items. Delivery used to be prompt but now the food is cold, pita bread hard as a brick & the food is just not as good. It's like the dont care about what they are selling. All of this was happening & I coudnt figure out why. Then I found out the had new owners which made it all make sense. The new owners are avoiding the issues at hand. The worst part is that they charged me a week late for food that was never delivered. This was 2 weeks ago & it still is unresolved.

• Visited August 2011