“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Some friends and I needed a room in Baltimore for one night this weekend, and I booked through a discount travel site that doesn't give the name or location of the hotel until after payment is made.

What a pleasant surprise! The Wyndham Peabody Court was much more lavish than I had expected and the room was extremely comfortable.

The valet greeted us, the desk staff was friendly and the jacuzzi tub sealed the deal!

My ONLY concern was our experience in the restaurant. There was ONE server, and a bartender, trying to manage 10+ tables and a full bar. Our server was initially extremely rude (and later apologized, explaining that they didn't expect it to be so busy), and our dinner took close to two hours. Having read a few other reviews, it seems that they have had this problem before, and I would recommend that they look into hiring an additional server for the weekends.

Overall, a great hotel, great stay, would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
WaylandC, General Manager at Hotel Revival, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Peabody Court. I am disappointed we failed to give you the proper service in the restaurant. Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail and steps are being taken to ensure these types of issues are handled on a preventive basis. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in town. I can assure we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one.
Sincerely, Wayland K. Campbell GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 18, 2012

For our purposes on this trip to Baltimore, this was a perfect set up. We were there for performances at Peabody and not familiar with the Mount Vernon area of Baltimore. We flew in, took the Light Rail from the BWI airport and walked only a few short blocks to hotel. They were able to hold our luggage and called when room ready (we got in early). It was awesome. No need for car. Restaurant at hotel good - only had breakfast here, plenty of restaurants close by and free bus system to get down to Inner Harbor. Room was very spacious and comfortable. Slept great, upper floor was very quiet. We had plenty of hot water although tub did not drain well. Loved the towel warmer in our bathroom!
We found the staff friendly and helpful, especially Paula and Kirsten. We plan to return and stay for upcoming wedding in the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the Monument side of the hotel. Corner rooms are larger and have more windows. Qu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our establishment. We appreciate hearing your thoughts and your suggestions with respect to corner rooms. We look forward to your return visit and thank you for your business.
Phoenixville, PA
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We booked this hotel after ours became overbooked. We were expecting a great hotel at a "deal" price". I called ahead before booking and was told that it was walking distance to the inner harbor, where we had reservations and plans throughout the weekend. It is a 1.5 mile walk (I don't call that walking distance for my wife in heels) I feel that $35.00 is overpriced for parking, especially in this neighborhood.The hotel did not have hot water for showers either day for my wife or me. 1/2 the staff were nice, and the other half were extremely rude.

The hotel is a faded glory, and in the 70's or 80's it was probably really nice, but it's seen better days.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WaylandC, Front Office Manager at Hotel Revival, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Good Day, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments. I apologize for you not receiving the Great experience from staying here that most of our guest have had. We are definintely walking distance to the Inner Harbor because we have guest that easily decend on the Inner Harbor by foot everyday. We had no way of knowing that your wife would be wearing heels to do so. We had a water unexpected pump malfunction on Saturday, professionals were called out for emergency services and the water was restored within a few hours. Yes, we do have an older dwelling, however, we make every effort to stay on top of all maintenance upkeep. We also provided our affected guest with complimentary breakfast and other means of compensation for the inconvenience. We offer valet parking services which is optional like it is at most properties. That choice is totally up to the guest to decide. We are a beautiful hotel with lots of charm and charater and we hope that you decide to give us a try again in the future.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Arrived and the valet parking attendant was great, really friendly and helpful. Things went downhill after that.....Front desk staff wouldn't let us check in early, but they did offer to hold our bags, that was nice. Room was very comfortable.

The restaurant on the second floor was unbelievably slow. The service was so slow, it took 2 hours for a dinner. It turned out that we weren't in a rush, but if we had been, there was no way the staff seemed to be able to help. There appeared to be one waitress, helped by the bartender, for the entire place. Then the next morning, it took 2 hours for a breakfast! I know there was a large (wedding I think) party, but come on folks, you should be prepared for that.

Up early one morning and when I asked the front desk guy where I could find a local place for coffee, he shrugged, said he didn't know, and went back to watching tv. Asked another question later at the front desk and got a blank stare.

Internet worked one day, and didn't work the next. Staff was so unfriendly I didn't bother to ask them to look into it.

Wrote a letter and never heard from them.

Great place if you're on your own and don't need any help/questions/service, etc.

Can't believe this place really has a manager. If it did, and he/she spent one hour in the restaurant, they'd see for themselves.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ElisaRJohnF
WaylandC, Front Office Manager at Hotel Revival, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
I was both saddened and surprised to see "Staff need an attitude adjustment" Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for the frustration and inconvenience that we caused. This is especially saddening because Wyndham was founded on the promise of excellent customer care. We are committed to you, our valued customer and are taking immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us. We have implemented plans of action to provide better information to you. We are placing additional staffing on for our "Wedding Weekends" as well as giving handouts for area restaurants and coffee shops at the front desk. I am truly sorry for the slowness in the restaurant upon your visit, as well as your perception of the front desk agent not helping you with your need for suggestions in the area, but I can assure you that we do not have any televisions at the front desk. On a positive note, I am happy to know that you were greeted warmly by our valet staff upon arrival, which is what the entire experience is supposed to feel like. We are confident, as a result of these actions, that Wyndham will emerge as a more reliable and customer responsive establishment than ever before. You deserved better service than what was given. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon and provide you with the positive Wyndham experience that you have come to expect from us.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Called and made a spur of the moment reservation for me and my toddler. The staff was fantastic! They were able to fit us in and have a room ready early. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and fun to talk to. The valet service was excellent and the rooms were beautiful and spacious. We had a double bed room with a jacuzzi tub and felt pampered and special during our stay. If we had stay in Baltimore again we definitely would book at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
WaylandC, Front Office Manager at Hotel Revival, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you very much, we appreciate your feedback. It gives me great joy to see comments like yours. I am happy to see that we are continuing Wyndham's efforts in customer service. Maybe next time you could endulge in some of our delicious entree's at George's at Mount Vernon Square. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. ;-)
Barre, VT
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel has personality and charm, but the wonderful staff made our three night adventure one to remember. Everyone...Everyone was helpful, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in making our stay comfortable and easy.

The room was large, quiet, and clean. Great linens. The beds were soft...but not overly so. The bathroom had been updated and was quite nice...clean and conveniently arranged.

We ate a couple meals in the dining room which we enjoyed and were once again pleased with the staff.

I can't say enough good thing about our experience. This was my first time in Baltimore...I accompanied a friend who was there for a conference. I'd love to come back just for pleasure.

What a wonderful city...Who knew?

Room Tip: Rooms in front overlook the monument.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
WaylandC, General Manager at Hotel Revival, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our establishment. We appreciate hearing your thoughts and your suggestions with respect to room views. We look forward to serving you on your return visit and thank you for your business.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel was actually smaller than I thought (103 rooms or so). The service was quite good. I asked for a room away from the elevators and I couldn't have gotten a room further away. The building itself was old, but the beds were comfortable. The bathrooms were upgraded, and the water pressure in the shower was excellent.

The only criticism is that it's a bit isolated from the touristy part of town, and finding a CVS or grocery nearby was a bit hard. There are a couple of very nice restaurants, however.

The exercise room had a bad odor and needing renovation of its ventilation system. I used it once and decided not to go there again.

Overall, my experience was very positive and if you're looking for good service in the area (Peabody Court / Washington Monument), it's an excellent choice. If you're looking for more dinner/nightlife, I would consider alternative.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank InfreqTrav1000
Michael D, Manager at Hotel Revival, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Good Morning! Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments! We appreciate the feedback!! We are definitely located in the Historic part of Baltimore which does not boast "touristy" venues. Instead, we are home to more Cultural venues such as the Walters Art Museum, Peabody Institute and Library and much more!! However, with Charles Street being a block away our location still offers you plenty of options to explore the night life :) I do want you let you know that we have recently renovated our 24 Hour Fitness Center so if you are back here with us I can assure you that you will have a better experience!! Have a great day!!