“Many good points but overall bad experience”

Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked my stay at the Sheraton Inner Harbor via Travelocity, with a combination flight and hotel package, meaning the hotel cost is paid upfront. We had booked 2 rooms. Everything was great until we arrived at the hotel. The rather unfriendly man who was checking me in informed me that there was an issue with Travelocity paying the Sheraton and that I had to call. I was confused, thinking something went wrong with my payment, but he clarified that the issue was between the hotel and Travelocity, and that I had to call. So off we went to call Travelocity. 15 minutes after being on hold the Travelocity customer service rep told me the hotel should be calling, so off I went to the front desk. No, he says, you have to fix it. Travelocity transferred me to another line, which turns out to only be for hotels, so they can't help me. They transfer me back to the main customer service line, where I get someone who understands what I am saying and puts me on hold while she figures out what to do. Meanwhile, my mother goes to the front desk to ask for the manager, at which point cranky check-in guy tells her one room is all set and so she can check in. She checks in, figuring it is better to have at least one room. He asks if she wants a room with 2 beds, she says yes (in case we need it!) and he promptly checks her into a handicapped room with one bed. He ignores the manager request, but there's a guy in a suit sort of skulking around. We thought he might be the manager, but he stayed clear of us. After 20 or so minutes of being hold, Ms. Travelocity comes back to tell me that Travelocity is now on the phone with the hotel and that this should be resolved shortly. I thank her and hang up and head to the front desk, who is clearly on the phone with Travelocity. He starts to check me in, even though he makes a point of telling me this isn't resolved, but he's going to let me check in anyway because it isn't my fault (no kidding!) but that they "hope" to get it resolved. This left me feeling like we might get kicked out in the middle of the night. I asked to have the manager contact me while I was there, but they didn't. (I didn't ask again because I wanted to relax and enjoy our weeked away). Once we got home I called and asked for the manager; they wouldn't transfer me until I told them the problem, would't tell me the manager's name and then when I told them the problem they said it had been resolved. So, I wrote to Sheraton's corporate headquarters, who did respond and tell me they would have the hotel itself response. I did finally hear from the manager, who didn't apologize or explain anything - he just gave me SPG rewards points. I had to push him to find out why this happened, at which point he finally admits that I never should have even been aware of this problem. Fine. Now, 3 weeks after my stay I find out that the hotel has put a $50 hold on my credit card. I get that they probably do this when the room is pre-paid in case you charge anything to the room, but it is now 3 WEEKS LATER and I don't trust them, so I want it removed. Still waiting to hear back. . .

Once we finally got to our room, we were quite happy with it. Our bed was incredibly comfortable, the room was very clean and in good condition. The hallways were clean, the elevator was quick and the drinks we had at the bar one night were good. The gym was really nice for a hotel gym and had lots of equipment. They lose points for not replacing the free bottled water in our room each day and the "pool", which is really very tiny, triangular and maybe 3 feet deep. The location of the hotel is great for both Camden Yards and the Inner Harbor. The hotel charges for wi-fi, so keep that in mind, but there is a business center in the lobby. I don't really understand all the "outdated" comments; the outside of the hotel is older-style, but the lobby and common areas are nice and our room was modern enough. The bed was so comfortable that we almost forgot about the horrible check in. Almost.

Room Tip: If you don't want to look at the sports stadiums, you should book on the inner harbor side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I attend a convention in Baltimore every year with friends and have stayed at many of the areas other hotels and I have to say the Sheraton takes the cake in guest service and value. The only negatives to staying here were that some of the room decor is getting a bit tired (dented lamp shades scratched dresser minor things like that) and the rooms are small as the building is aging and in some ways it shows. Don't let this deter you, this is a great hotel with a fantastic location, and from the moment we pulled up we were greeted with a smile and kindness. When we arrived staff couldn't find our second room because I couldn't remember what name I put it under, (we booked multiple rooms via a convention portal) and the young lady at the desk was more than patient taking the time to go through every member in our party till she found our room, arriving at my room ADA requests were honored, but our door didn't lock, with in less than 5 minutes from my call to the front desk a maintenance man came up and replaced the door lock, house keeping came daily and replenished what ever we needed even gave us extra when requested.

I will take all old and tired architecture and decor in the world if it means we will be treated with kindness and respect. Kinda sad to hear that there is talk of demolishing the hotel and part of the convention center to build a new one, but as long as the staff keep up the great job, I will return.

AC got nice and cold too, we like to be cold and in the 90 degree heat of Baltimore in August we got our room to a nice crisp 61 degrees.

Positives+
In and out of Baltimore on 395 with out driving around the City less than 5 min from 395
Centrally located easy to get everywhere
Connected to inner harbor and convention center by skywalk
Oriole's Bar and Grill in hotel, decent prices good food
Staff are really great
Priced lower than the Hilton and Rennisance
Morton's Steak house on ground level.

Negatives -
Aging
Small rooms
No microwaves or Mini Fridges

Room Tip: Get one away from the ice machine, that thing is loud.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

i stayed 1 night here on business, was supposed to stay 2 but wound up taking the late train home because it was so gross. i got a double bed because my king room wasn't available, even though i had reserved a king when making reservations. one of the beds had what looked liked blood stains on the sheets. the garbage wasn't emptied, wouldn't have been that bad, except it had someone else's dirty tooth floss pick in it. i ordered room service, it didn't come with any water or bread, thank goodness i had ordered a drink. i ordered the salmon bc i thought it was one of the healthier choices, but it way too salty and the side of potato hash was nothing more than the type you would get for breakfast - and was drowned in butter. for the price and the availability of hotels in the area, definitely not staying here again - even though i have been an spg member for 10+ years

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank brooklyn882
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I'm shocked by all of the negative reviews. I stayed here in August 2013 and I did not have a bad experience at all. The room was clean, I had an awesome view of Oriole Park At Camden and M&T Bank Stadium, and the bed was VERY comfortable. Sure the place could use a remodel but it's not like the place looks like a 1990's hotel... I did have a decent sized flat-screen TV in my room and it wasn't as bad as some of the others make it out to be. I would definitely stay here again and to be honest I look forward to doing so!

Room Tip: If you're a smoker there is an outdoor patio on the 2nd floor. Also if you have the means the Mo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KB630
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights using our Starwood points. When we originally booked, we reserved a club floor room and we told them on the phone that we would be traveling with our 12 pound dog for one of the nights. (He stayed at the Downtown Dog Resort & Spa for the second night, which was great!).

Upon check in, they informed us that we could not stay on the club floor with the dog and had to stay on a dog floor...we had no choice so we went with it. The room on the dog floor was old and in need of some major facelifts. Dinged up furniture, rips in the rug and bedding...I guess what you would expect from a room that dogs stay in. You could hear other dogs barking in the hallway too, didn’t bother us of course…if we didn’t have our pup with us that would be another story.

Needless to say, once we dropped our dog the next day we asked to be moved to the club floor room we had originally booked and they honored it. This was a much nicer and cleaner room with better amenities including access to the club room which has a happy hour and complimentary breakfast and wifi. We are still going back a forth with the hotel a month later to get reimbursed for the points we are owed for the room downgrade the first night, they don't seem to be very organized, SPG has contacted them at least 3 times.

Overall, despite the confusion, the hotel was in a very good location, close to Camden Yards and a stones throw from the inner harbor. It suited our needs for a weekend in Baltimore and allowed us to walk most everywhere we needed to in the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlust0113
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Met friends in Baltimore to see a Red Sox/Orioles game. This hotel is only a 5 minute walk to Camden Yards, and also only a 5 minute walk to the Inner Harbor. No need for a car when you stay here. Friendly staff, well appointed room, clean, beautiful bedding. There is a Morton's Steakhouse attached but we didn't eat there... we did visit the bar on the 2nd floor. The pool is tiny but there is a big workout area. I would definitely stay here again, it exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Colleen W
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We lucked out. They took our reservation late Friday night - 11:30pm as we arrived into town. Had booked another hotel which turned out to be very sketchy. Sheraton helped us out, gave us a great rate when we phoned in, and a phenomenal view. Corner room with views of Camden yard, ravens stadium and the inner harbor - 9th floor. Walked to inner harbor every day! Great concierge service. Only downer is paid parking but parking is IN the Hotel so super convinient and they give you tickets so you pay once but come and go as you please. Great experience!

• Stayed: July 2013