“Safe Harbor”

Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Long Valley, NJ
“Safe Harbor”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

In town for an Orioles game at Camden Yards, this was our second stay at this place. It’s conveniently located on the west side of the Inner Harbor and within easy walking distance to all the attractions in that vicinity.

WHAT WAS GOOD: You can’t beat the location, especially if you’re in town for a convention or an Orioles or Ravens game. Camden Yards and the Ravens’ stadium are a block or two in one direction and the Inner Harbor a block in the other. For Orioles games, there are actually properties that are even closer to the stadium but the shorter walking distance from the Sheraton to the activities of the Inner Harbor make this a better choice….Service was very good. Every member of the staff we encountered was friendly and helpful….Views are pretty good from the upper floors. Though partially obstructed, the sight of the harbor lit up at night from our 12th floor room was impressive….Parking was included with our rate. The self-park lot beneath the hotel is very convenient with easy access to the lobby.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: Floor space in our room with two doubles was very limited. The bathroom was similarly small….Rooms in general could use a facelift (at least on our floor). Our last stay here was in 2004 and it seemed as though nothing had been updated (except for maybe the flat screen TV). Oh, but the bedding is up to date and excellent ….A refrigerator in the room would have been a nice touch….Our room had the type of heating and A/C unit that sounds like a Boeing 767 taking of f when it kicks on.

THINGS TO KNOW: We reserved a rollaway bed when we booked the room but were told that we’d have to call the service desk after check-in to have it sent up. When we called at 10:00 pm they no longer had any available. So apparently best to get that squared away as early as possible. (The charge appeared on my bill anyway and had to be adjusted.)

BOTTOM LINE: This is a safe choice if visiting Baltimore for any of the activities around the Inner Harbor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed one night at this Sheraton Hotel. I was a little disappointed when I arrived close to midnight and found no valet anywhere in sight. It was explained to me that the second half of the valet's job is to monitor the parking lot so that was why no one was there...really. So, I ask why they are actually called valet and not security. I did find the check in staff to be pleasant and I was happy to receive an upgraded corner room because of my Platinum Starwood Status. I was a little disappointed that they never told me that they had a concierge floor where I could have enjoyed breakfast.
The walk to my room was somewhat gross as the carpets in the hallways are old and have many spots, or stains...not giving me a very inviting feel. When I entered my room, it was extremely warm (86 degrees to be exact). While I do understand that it is almost 100 degrees outside and the hotel is trying to be energy efficient, I find that 86 degrees is not acceptable. It took close to an hour to cool down. My room 1229, had a lovely view of Camden Yards, the Hilton and othere downtown buildings. I really liked all the windows and view. I was disappointed in the bathroom. The tub did show some mold and the wallpaper was very dated and had a few holes in it (what are these holes from...so odd). I found it really odd that there was only 1 bath towel...as a female, I like to wrap one around my body and one in a twistybob on my head to dry my hair. No such luck this time. As most Sheratons, the bed was extremely comfortable. I was also impressed with how tight the sheets were on the bed. It looked like the housekeeper may have had some military training! Unfortunately, when I got out of bed, my foot caught on the bar that was pertruding from my bed and I cut my leg. I did notify the front desk but did not have time to fill out an incident form...who the heck wants to fill one out? Overall, I think this property is fair.

Chicago
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I've stayed at more than my fair share of hotels in Baltimore, and while this one is fine, it ranks the lowest of the several Baltimore hotels I stayed at. There's nothing terribly wrong with it. My TV didn't work on my last two stays, and was easily fixed when I called. And I noted that there was an assortment of screws used throughout the room. For instance, the towel rack was hung on four screws, and each was different. Again, there is nothing wrong with this hotel, but there are just signs that it's not on-top of it's game, as you see elsewhere in the city.

Mooresville, NC
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I spent four days at the Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel earlier this month for a work related engagement and my reviews are mixed.

As the title of my review indicates, we were nicely located very close to the inner harbor in Baltimore, though not on the water. We were also a fairly quick walk to Camden Yards, though the team wasn't in town during our visit.

The hotel staff was very accommodating and friendly. There was a bit of a misunderstanding during the check in process. I was asked if I wanted to take part in their "go green" policy which, as it was described to me, made plenty of sense and I said yes.

As it was described, I would receive daily housekeeping service, but that they would just make my bed with the same sheets each night I selected the option. Since I don't change the sheets every night at home, that made sense to me and I accepted. For taking part in this policy, I could either receive a nominal amount of $$ to spend at the hotel or 500 bonus points for my Starwood Preferred membership. I selected the latter.

I was told all I needed to do was place the Go Green hanger from my door and I would receive a redeemable card to be presented at checkout. The first night, I placed the hanger on my door and the next day, I received the little card underneath my door.

When I arrived back in my room that afternoon, my bed hadn't been made and trash hadn't been picked up so I called the front desk only to find that by going with Go Green, I received "no" housekeeping services at all. I was a little surprised by this, but decided since I'm not a real messy guy, that I could handle that for a few days.

The next morning I hung the Go Green placard on my door and when I arrived back in my room that afternoon, not only was my room in the same state, but the hanger was still on my door and no card had been left in my room.

Again, I called the front desk, asked "What gives?" That is when I was told that in order to take advantage of the Go Green policy, I had to hang the placard on my door prior to 2 AM the night before. While it clearly stated that on the placard, I hadn't taken the time to read it as I was relying on the information provided to me at check-in.

So, for all of you future travelers that want to take advantage of the Go-Green policy, just be aware of the steps you need to follow in order to redeem the rewards. They did give me all 1000 points on my account, however.

My room was okay. The drawers on the dresser drawers stuck, the shower achieved warm levels only and you have to pay for wi-fi. Positives - the beds are comfortable and the channel selections on TV are good, but the remote in my room was overly complicated and that's saying something because I'm considered a knowledgeable guy with a remote ... just ask my wife.

The food during out stay was banquet fare and not remarkable, but the servers went out of their way to do all they could to ensure our enjoyment was maximized.

Would I stay at this hotel if visiting Baltimore in the future? Probably not, but it wasn't a bad stay, just not remarkable.

Room Tip: There are two choices, either view the stadiums or the inner harbor. I asked for an inner harbor vi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
sjmb, Director of Sales at Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We also appreciate your kind words in regards to our overall staff friendliness and that our servers “went out of their way” to ensure your enjoyment. They are truly the backbone of our hotel and we are very proud of them.

Our apologies for the confusion on our Go Green Program. It does award 500 points for Starwood Preferred Guests per qualifying day of your visit with us. The program does mean that there will be no housekeeping services provided when one opts in for that day. Should a guest need clean towels, trash emptied, etc we do send a staff member upon receiving the request and the 500 points are still rewarded. We definitely experienced a disconnect in explaining the program to you and we are using this opportunity to insure that all of our team members do explain the details succinctly.

We are in the process of renovating our guest rooms and have received great comments on them. We thank you for your feedback and hope that the next time you visit Baltimore you will consider the Sheraton Inner Harbor.

Warm Regards,

Chuck Payne
Director of Sales and Marketing
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel is in a really great location! I checked in over the weekend for a travel agent conference and I was really happy with my experience at the Sheraton. I thought the staff was efficient and friendly. I loved that they had cucumber water right when you walk in towards the check in desk especially with the over 100 degree weather and humidity this weekend.

I absolutely loved my bed and the pillows! My room (1029) was really clean and the view was a little obstructed of the Harbor because it is facing across from the Hyatt but overall it was nice to wake up to. My room amenities were modern and the TV was a great size so the accommodation was an A in my book.

I would have to say some minor shortcomings are the pool/sauna facilities. They aren't modern at all so don't expect a lavish spa experience while staying here. The fitness center was small but the equipment looked well kept, however, I didn't work out during this stay so I can't be 100% sure of this statement. Some of the other hotel floors aren't as modern so it seems like the Sheraton could be a 4.5 star hotel if there was a focus on renovation at certain areas of the hotel.

The service and the accommodation makes up for the shortcomings described above so I would recommend this property for anyone looking to stay central to the Baltimore Convention Center and Harbour. This hotel is travel agent approved, especially if location matters the most to you. :O)

Room Tip: Staying on the 10th and 11th floors may enhance your experience to get a better view of the harbour!
Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Location was great- we went to a show at 1st mariner and were able to walk!! Short cab ride to Inner Harbour.
Beds were AMAZING, pillows, sheets, and all. AC worked well, showers were good. The room was small and the bathroom as well, and there was no refrigerator, but for 2 nights, the room fit our needs well.
Restaurant in lobby had really yummy food and drinks, good service, and great happy hour specials.
Hotel was clean, gym looked nice though we did not use it, and the pool looked cool too. This was our biggest complaint-the pool was closed for maintenance, and we were not warned at check in, In the dead of summer, we were really looking forward to sleeping our hangover off pool side.
The only other complaint was the elevators, they were slow and congested at all hours!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
amsterdam
Reviewed July 9, 2012

To be honest... I did not have high expectations of the hotel when traveling to Baltimore... I was checked in by a clerk who did not look at me at all.... eyes fixed to the computer screen.... talking to colleagues right next to him... no interest whatsover in the guest... it took about 15 minutes to checkin. On my checkout day I went to the front desk to ask for a late checkout... The clerk looked at me this time and said that an extra night would be charged after 1PM... At that moment, a TRAINEE said 'wait a minute'... She looked up my guest profile and saw my Starwood SPG membership, and said: As an SPG Member you can check out until 4PM... BRAVO to the trainee! For the rest: A truly unremarkable hotel...

Room Tip: Was on 6th floor with a 'great' view onto the Convention Centre...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business