“Very Comfortable”

Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
NJ
“Very Comfortable”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The hotel is well situated. It is attached to the Gallery and across from the harbor. Our room was quite comfortable and well suited for 2 adults and 2 children. Loved the Aveda amenities! Hotel staff were friendly. Breakfast at the Watertable restaurant was not so good. The hotess and wait staff were pleasant but the food (buffet) was below average.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Maybe I stayed at a bad time.

I checked in around 2:00pm on a Sunday and was told that my room was still occupied, but that they hoped to have me into a room by the evening. This wasn't a great start to things.

The hotel was packed from a few events over the weekend so I wasn't surprised when I was told the room was still full. My conference was starting and so I headed of to it for a few hours and didn't pay the room issue much mind. I returned around 5:00 to find that a room still wasn't available but was told that they thought that housekeeping was celaning one and that it should be ready shortly. I managed to do a little work in the conference area for another hour or so and finally I had a room.

The first thing I noticed was that there wasn't a coffee machine in the room. Heck, even the little coffee shops in the hotel and adjacent mall were not open. I was settled in around 7:00 or so and as it was now raining I decided to order a sandwich and cup of coffee from room service rather than going for a walk. The person who answered the room service line gave me a long sigh and told me that room service was going to be **at least** 1:45 minutes for a coffee and sandwich. I wasn't going to eat at 9:00 so I had a granolla bar and called it a night.

A little after 6:00 the next morning I was hungry and really in need of a cup of coffee. Room service supposedly starts at 6:00 however when I called none bothered to pick up. I called a few more times for a few more minutes and still none would answer.

I went downstairs hoping to find some coffee somewhere but 6:00 am is apparently too early in this part of the world. Finally one of the staff asked if he could help with anything and I asked if coffee was available anywhere in this hotel. He asked me to wait there and a few minutes later he returned with a fresh cup; just like that, the stay improved. I gave a good tip (as deserved!), but I regret that I didn't get his name to pass along to the management.

Back in the hotel on Monday night I was able to more fairly assess the hotel as I was not anxious about a room, had found a coffee shop down the street, and even room service came through. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, the desk and work area were nice, and there were a ton of channels available on the TV. The little bar on the ground floor was a nice place to grab a beer that evening and watch some football on Monday night.

Overall I have to blame my experience of Sunday night/Monday morning on what I guess was a booked-solid weekend at the hotel. Once things settled down on Monday night it operated as normal and efficiently as most other hotels I've stayed at. It's clean, modern (not in a funky way, but in a new facility way), and some of the staff are really good people. I wouldn't avoid it the next time I'm down there but I wouldn't say this was any better than a host of other hotels around the harbor (I've stayed at a few of them).

Somers, NY
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Staff always address you by name. Rooms that overlook the harbor have a very pleasant view although you do pick up street noise. Inside rooms much quieter by no view. The staff is EXTREMELY accommodating. So much so that I could think I am at Mom's House. Close to everything.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 10, 2010

This is a perfectly nice hotel, although not the nicest Renaissance Hotel I've stayed in. The location is great, right by the Inner Harbor with some rooms overlooking the USS Constitution. It was easy walking distance to the convention center and to public transportation. The room was average in size and decor, but perfectly comfortable and clean. I'd have no problem staying at this hotel again, but if the price were right I'd also be happy trying some others in the area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Stayed for business this time, but personal other times. It is a pricy hotel but well worth it. Its within a 1 minute walk of the Inner Harbor and in the height of bustling Baltimore. The hotel is safe, staff is friendly and assistive and it has a mall attached to it with common and nice stores and a couple of small eateries. The restaurant and bar is ok to go to, little pricy menu. Great for conference and personal stays. It has suites which may be beneficial if you have a large group where you can fit a view and split the cost. Hotel room is clean and roomy and up to date, not a complaint to be had.

Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Everyone from the doormen, valet, front desk attendants, room service, workers riding in the elevator and maids were the friendliest group of people I have seen in a while. They made our stay very comfortable. The location is ideal for all the restaurants in the inner harbor, the aquarium and camden yards. The $36.00 a day parking fee is a way too much.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Great Harbor location right across from shopping and all the Harbor activities. Was convenient to everything. Room was comfortable and spacious. We left for the day and didn't realize that someone had been in our room to "turn the bed down". It would have been nice if they had told us so we wouldn't be shocked to see that the things we left out were moved. Went to the Orioles game (a good WALK). Apparently there is a city bus next door but 2 police officers and others couldn't tell me where to catch the bus or where it would take us. We walked about 5-6 blocks to Camden Yards...a good walk! We were on the 12th floor which was nice, but our view of the a/c units and the building and city blocks leaved something to be desired. I really wasn't concerned at first since we were gone all day, but when we did arrive after walking back from the game, I realized that the windows or insulation didn't block out ANY noise. We heard sirens all night, heard and saw a fight outside our hotel, heard and saw a police office assisting with a wrecked vehicle. So we are in the city, I got it. However, at 12:30 am I heard a DRILL outside our door. Seems that the key didn't work 2 rooms down and maintenance was drilling to REMOVE the door. Poor guy that had his belongings inside the room. Restless night of sleep between the sirens and the drilling, even though the bed was quite comfortable (noise was the worst).
Breakfast in the morning was expensive, but very nice. GREAT views overlooking the harbor. Would I come back? I will probably "hotwire" a 4-star next time. I figure it couldn't be any worse and it might be better!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends