“We needed a vacation after our experience!”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Ohio
“We needed a vacation after our experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2007

Recently even though we knew that the hotel was under construction we stayed with all of our family at the Renaissance Hotel in Baltimore for my daughter wedding shower. We were told that construction was not going to be a problem during the weekend. We had booked a harbor view room and upon our arrival we were greeted by construction workers working in full swing and 900 very noisy students spread across every floors of the hotel. After complaining several times especially during the night about the loud noise, in the morning after only a few hours of sleep the manager offered us a room on the 12 concierge floor. We agreed to change and were guaranteed a quiet floor only 6 rooms had kids. Unfortunately this was not a quiet room after all, on Sunday morning the construction team started to drill on the roof directly on top of our room. At that point we had had enough and decided to leave the hotel very disappointed with our experience at the Renaissance Harbor Place. From now on we will tell all of our friends to go elsewhere!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank galantini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
richmond virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

Wonderful location. Service was good. Access to all that the Inner- Harbor has to offer. You just can't find a better hotel for the money. We loved everything about this hotel.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank mamasan38
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

I have stayed at the Renaissance three times now, each trip during the Presidents week holiday. While it is the off-season, the city and particularly the Inner Harbor still retains all of its charm. I discovered the Renaissance by a freind's request when I first went down a few years ago for a quick escape from New York. Since then, I have decided to do that same february 3-day getaway twice and the Renaissance never fails to impress.

First and foremost, it's location is undoubtedly unbeatable. There are numerous hotels along the Inner Harbor, however, this one is most ideally situted right at the harbor's northwestern apex. It features a skybridge direcly into the Harborplace - hence the name - which is a great collection of local and brand name stores, exquisite restaurants and remarkable views as well as two private entrances into the adjacent Gallery Mall. Wheather you are a shopper or not, if ever it rains or snows, or there is any reason at all to stay in, both the Gallery and the Harborplace offer a myriad of restaurants, shops, fountains, etc. The hotel is equadistant to the Aquarium, Maryland Science Center, Camden Yards, Federal Hill and beyond.

Equally impressive - as always - are the rooms/service. I happened to get the same room i had two years ago, just one floor higher, 11034 as opposed to 10034. Despite a lofty $209 a night in the off season, the views, especially from such high floors, are incredible. With the naked eye you can see traffic on I 95 in the distance, the Francis Key Bridge, Federal Hill, the Habrorplace, the Power Plant (see below), and Camden Yards. As for service, the staff is very reputable and accomodating. I found upon entering my room on Sunday that there was no alarm clock, or any clock at all in the room. Nor were there any binoculars next to the little sign stating that the room featured binoculars. I went to the front desk and recieved binoculars, and the clock came up within 10 minutes. I do believe that the most accomodating, friendliest, simply most hospitable staff member i have EVER encountered in my travels is Margaret. Though I am not quite sure what her position is, should you chose to dine in the Fells Point room on the 5th floor, she will be the older woman with a slight southern accent seating you. She also seems to be the manager because while not escorting patrons to their seats she is negotiating with waiters, calling the kitchen to request another dish, etc. If there is anything you find out of order or a dish in the buffet that you want or that there is no more of, she will personally call not only the kitchen, but the lobby lounge and any other location in the hotel where food inventory might be found and make sure it is delivered to the table.

Renovation: In order to keep a trully pleasant atmosphere during the summer season - when this hotel gets booked solid and my $209 room starts at $410 - renovations are done during the off season. I, fortunately, was staying on a sunday (no construction work), then Presidents Day (holiday) and so only on my check-out day, Tuesday, did I hear noise. Yes, there was quite alot of noise around the pool/courtyard area but it comes with the territory of staying at such a high-demand property in the middle of winter.

Reccomendations:
Power Plant - The Power Plant 100 years ago was a real, working power plant on the Inner Harbor. 20 years ago it was a crude and delapitating sight, or so I hear. In 2000 it was revamped and while maintaining all orignal detail, it now houses an ESPN Zone, Hard Rock Cafe and in my opinion, the coolest Barnes and Noble Bookstore on Earth. Walk into that B&N and there before you are the original smokestacks rising 6 floors above you! Bookshelves wrap around these massive pillars and you can even walk under them and look up through them! Truely fascinating

Little Italy - My first time here, just walk across the canal bridges near the Power Plant/Aquarium and you're there. I ate at Delesio's, a little Itialian trattoria just 2 blocks from the Inner Harbor and a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Amazing Gnocci!

All in all, while Baltimore does not strike the average vacationer as a great getaway, with the help of the Renaissance it truely is. For me it is a comfort destination, an always-there possibility. I didnt feel like really planning anything this week, and I woke up not even sure if I was going to go anywhere. I made up my mind, got on a late afternoon amtrak and was in the pool by 8:00 that night. Before de-boarding I knew exactly where I would stay, eat and sightsee. The Renaissance always helps to complete my sort-of annual (about every 2-3 years)Baltimore escape.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — nothing really...
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank parkslopeny
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2007

I stayed at the Renaissance hotel overnight recently and enjoyed my stay. I had a comfortable harborview room on the 10th floor and the view was spectacular. Here is some information to make the most of your visit:

Service/Staff: Wonderful and freindly staff at the hotel. We arrived early at the hotel and they were happy to check us in. Plus, all of the other services (i.e. concierge, front desk) were also friendly and helpful.

Room: The room was comfortable, clean, and spacious. The bed was nice, the easy chair was nice, and the bathrooms were also very nice. We had a great view of the harbor, shops, and the buildings.

Location: The hotel is in a fabulous location, right nearby the World Trade Center, Aquarium, and the Harborplace shopping mall.

I had one problem during my stay - the television. We had a hard time trying to watch a movie because the TV wasn't working and we had a repairman spend a while fixing it. We couldn't fix it so we had to watch another movie. Another problem is that it is a long walk to the elevator and it can get tiring, especially if you're carrying something. These weren't extremely bad problems but it was frustrating so I will give the review four stars.

Tips: Don't leave your window open at night if you are staying in a harborview room. It can get noisy with people yelling, car horns, and sirens.

Overall I would stay at the hotel again but I would try to get a room near the elevator and a room with a new TV set.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The very long walk to the elevators
  • Stayed February 2007
2 Thank travelguy101
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2007

This hotel is going through renovations but I still found it to be well kept and comfortable. Beds are excellent, bathrooms also great. TV could use more channels, heating system had trouble keeping up with some cold days (february). Hotel kept pretty clean as far as hotels go (they don't clean like the used to).
Great location for walking to mosts points of interest (aquarium, harbor restaurants and stores, clubs etc.).
Staff is very accommodating and professional.

• Liked — comfortable room
  • Disliked — internet connection was terrible and expensive
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

The Renaissance Harborplace is a great business/conference hotel in Baltimore. I stayed here for 2 nights and 3 days for a business conference with about 580 employees attending.

Great location with tons of shops inside the building. Excellent customer service. Nice, large, and spacious clean rooms with comfy beds. Great heating/air conditioning system.

The only downside I found is that the hotel is currently under construction, and I could hear the noise at 7:30 am starting on the 2 weekdays I was there. I believe they're doing some construction on the roof. Public areas were fine (no dust or plastic sheeting seen, and had I not heard the noise, I wouldn't have known construction was even an issue.)

Therefore, although this is a nice place, if you like to sleep late, this hotel is not for you.

• Liked — clean spacious rooms and nice bedding
  • Disliked — early morning construction was a pain
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank hitherephilly
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2007

The hotel is located on the harbor and the harbor facing rooms on the higher floors have a great view. In the heart of downtown it is close to major offices. You can go for a jog on the riverfront in the morning. Cleanliness is good and the restaurant is also fairly good. Since I was on a business visit I could not explore much of the hotel. I stayed here for a month and will come back if am travellin and working in downtown Baltimore.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business