“Robbed in the hotel garage-Security major issue-Looks like it happens often”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
hartford county
“Robbed in the hotel garage-Security major issue-Looks like it happens often”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Hotel was fine until we left for breakfast and came back to our car that was parked in the hotel parking lot was broken into. Someone must have been watching us because it was a targeted theft of a laptop bag. Nothing else was stolen including our suitcases and other expensive items. Security is terrible and like another reviewer said they will not take any responsibility for your belongings in their garage. Our car was alarmed and had darkly tinted windows. Glass was leading to the hotel elevator. Then they told us that if we had used their valet parking they would have had some responsibility. Turns out that is not true either. Find a different hotel!!!!!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
UK
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Stayed here for a business meeting. Excellent location right opposite the waterfront and a very comfortable hotel (we also went into the Marriott Waterfront, and we all liked the atmosphere, decor and poistion of the Renaissance better). Plenty of shops and restaurants both within the next door gallery, and over the road on the harbourfront. It is a big hotel, with lots of business meetings and congresses going on, and I suspect it could be a bit impersonal if you were there on vacation.

Check-in was fast and efficient. Lifts were fast and large. Rooms are arranged in a huge square, and I had to walk for ages to get to mine - it was fine, but just meant that I had to allow an extra 5-10 mins to get anywhere. If you have limited mobility, you'd be well advised to let them know in advance, so that you can get a room nearer the lifts.

Rooms were HUGE - big lobby area with wardrobes, marble dressing stand and general suitcase dumping ground. The wardrobe had an iron and board too, very useful. Not quite enough hangars though (only 6 for a double room), had to phone and ask for extras.

The bathroom was off this lobby, and was a standard hotel size, with marble countertop, underslung sink etc. The bath was good and the shower was excellent. Plenty of fluffy towels. No robes or slippers though, even though I asked twice - I'd normally expect these in this class of hotel. However, with so many rooms, the maids take forever to get round them all, and my room was not cleaned until after 3pm each day which was a bit irritating.

Then the main room, which was also of a really good size. The bed seemed quite high off the floor, but was extremely comfortable, although 12 pillows seemed slightly over the top. There was a fridge (no minibar), TV, and a good sized desk with internet connection. However, I had to phone technical support to get the internet to work - apparently the wireless had gone down and no-one else had bothered to report it. Odd. The $12.95 cost for 24 hours was reasonable, and once paid for, the wireless connection could be used anywhere in the hotel, so that was quite good. There were plenty of electrical sockets, although it took me a while to work out that they were incorporated into the lamp bases, rather than on the walls. The rooms were pretty quiet for such a large hotel although there was a little bit of traffic noise and the air con was not the quietest.

No breakfast included with the room, although there is a Starbucks in the lobby that sells cereals and muffins. We elected to walk to Miss Shirley's, about 2 blocks along on the left - huge pancake and waffle menu, an excellent recommendation by the concierge. We also ate dinner out. However, we had lunch on the fifth floor during our meeting, and everything was of a good standard with a reasonable amount of choice.

The meeting rooms were well set up, and the staff here was extremely helpful in organising room layout, catering, electrics, projector etc. The business center was OK, but the cartridge in the printer had run out, so we either had to go down to reception to get things printed, or get a card to let us into the 10th floor where there was an executive suite with another printer. Despite promising to fix the printer on the fifth floor, it didn't happen in the 3 days we were there.

The pool was lovely, and the fitness center was apparently also well set up (so my collegaues told me). There are also ice machines and laundry areas on each floor, which was extremely useful.

Overall, I liked it and would stay again, mostly because the location was ideal, being right across the road from the aquarium and other activities. However, just a few minor niggles that I would not have expected from this quality of hotel, and which stopped me giving it a 5.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
cdorr084, Public Relations at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2009
We apologize for this unfortunate experience and understand how this could have a negative impact for any traveler. The hotels top priority is the safety and security of our associates and guests. This includes the City owned and operated parking garage attached to the hotel. We are working in full cooperation with Baltimore City authorities to investigate this occurrence and to take steps to insure it does not happen in the future.
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2009

This was a "leisure" trip for me and a "business" trip for my spouse.

Although we have been frequently to Baltimore, we had never stayed at the Renaissance Harborplace.

It was a delightful stay. The room--8115--faced the east (not south to the Harbor, which is an additional fee), but we could see part of the Inner Harbor, but also we had an unrestricted view across to the area where Barnes & Noble and Hard Rock Cafe and ESPN are located. (See my pics at www.flickr.com/donwest48).

The room was sizable and completely clean and comfortable. I was fascinated by the "inner court" of the hotel. This might not appeal to everyone, but our hall was glassed-in, and faced the inner court of the hotel. I found myself admiring the lines and the colors. I took numerous fotos of the view. Who was the architect? He or she did some good work.

Service was good. My housekeeper was a bit fussy the first day, but I am a counselor/listener and don't object to hearing such. You can learn a lot more about a hotel by listening to staff-persons than you can from the hotel's brochure!

We ate a couple of meals at the Watertable restaurant. Excellent and easily recommended.

Tips! Oh my....I handed out multiples of $1 and $5's like crazy! Valet Parking is $36.00 per night! (I noticed walking by the new Kimpton Monaco that the rate was the same.)

Baltimore "downtown" is strange. The Mechanic Theatre, for instance, is atrocious. Is it used these days? I would never go into such an unbelievably ugly and nasty looking building. *yuck*

Just keep in mind that your hotel might be a bargain, but you might be in a block or two of.....nothing! (For example, I would not recommend the Radisson Lord Baltimore unless you are on a tight budget.)

I heard rumors of crime in downtown and even the touristy Inner Harbor, but I saw nothing that would frighten even the scariest tourist or conventioneer.

Renaissance Harborplace? Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
los angeles
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My two teenage children stayed at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel for a couple days and nights at the end of our east coast vacation. The room we stayed in was newly remodeled with all modern conveniences. The room had a spectacular view overlooking the inner harbor . We also found the service to be friendly, timely and very helpful with finding things to do in the nearby area. The hotel has a very nice pool area and exercise room included with the stay. We found the pool and exercise equipment to be in great condition. The Camden Yards baseball park is also in walking distance and we were able to attend a game there during our visit.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stayed 4 nigths and was very pleased with the room. Very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. I couldn't give it a full 5 stars because of 2 downfall. First is if you had a room facing the inner section, you'll be facing the pool/garden level which is nothing more than just grass. Second is that the room i was in was a far walk from the elevator. It felt like I had to walk a mile from the elevator to the room. Otherwise, the hotel is right across from the inner harbor where most of the activities are.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 2, 2009

My wife and I had a very enjoyable stay at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel. We were there for my company's holiday party and decided to stay over. The room was beautifully appointed, the king size bed was quite comfortable and we enjoyed the large flat screen TV. We didn't require much from Guest Services but they were more than willing to see to our every concern when we did call.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2009

This was the first stay for us and from the time we checked in until we left it was perfect. The bellman, room service and housekeeping staff were very professional and each greeted us with asking this question, "How was your stay?". The room was very comfortable and very clean. I even received a small bag of amenities from housekeeping. The hotel is located in the Inner Harbor so everything is in a short walking distance.

We did not want to leave and because of the staff and hotel we will visit again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple