“Another great stay”

Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Indianapolis
“Another great stay”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The overall atmosphere is excellent here, the staff is very pleasant and accommodating. Renaissance hotels always seem to be similar in staff quality to a JW Marriott. They are quick to solve problems and really appreciate your business. This hotel particularly I had several interactions with the staff over the several day's I was there for a conference. Housekeeping was very pleasant and does a very good job. Front desk was amazing, I checked in early and my room was not ready (no big deal) they got me access to the concierges lounge and called me a short time later, to let me know it was ready. I had to check out a day early and they wanted to make sure everything was OK and I wasn't dissatisfied, which I was not. Of the Baltimore hotels (particularly inner harbor) I would say this is the one to stay at. I utilized the 5th floor restaurant for several meetings and interviews food is always good and the staff is attentive but not always on top of you. Great job Renaissance Baltimore!

Room Tip: Get a harbor view if you can, higher the better.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Naperville, Illinois, USA
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was in Baltimore for 3 days of meetings. My host selected the Renaissance right on the water front of the Inner Harbor of the center of historic Baltimore. The hotel is nice and new, the rooms were good, and the meeting facilities were just what you'd expect from a Renaissance branded hotel. I was glad I came and someday I may come back.

My room was pretty nice. It had two queen sized beds, a desk, flatscreen TV, WIFI, decent bath room and an excellent view of the harbor. The hotel offer's two grades of WIFI (~$10 and ~$15/day); the more expensive one is geared for watching Netflix or sling-box and the cheaper is for normal web surfing/email; my host arranged for WIFI to be included in our group rate.

I am a frequent stayer at Marriott chain hotels and my key gave me access to the 12th floor concierge room. For dinner they served a nice buffet meal. Later in the evening they had a really nice desert buffet. I just used the service to get late evening cans of pop. Nice amenity.

The hotel is located in the historic downtown area of Baltimore -- this is the first time I have been here! Formally, the hotel is on Pratt St, 6 blocks East of the Convention Center / Oriole Park at Camden Yards, across the street from the Inner Harbor. This is walking distance to lots of really nice historic sites and restaurants.

Ground Transportation. I took the Light Rail from the BWI airport. There are trains leaving the airport every 20 minutes. I got off at the "Convention Center" stop on Pratt St and had an easy walk to the hotel. For $1.60 it was worth it. Just so you know, it was about a 40 minute ride; a taxi would have been faster, but for the price the Light Rail was worth it. At the airport look for the signs that say "Light Rail" -- the boarding platform is just outside of door number 19. Buy tickets at the kiosk by the door; you cannot buy tickets on the train.

Our meetings were on the fifth floor conference room area. Our meetings rooms were comfortable; the hotel and eager-to-please staff served us good breakfasts, lunches and breaks. They had a special WIFI just for the meetings, and it performed pretty good. All of this was very normal -- just what I would expect from a quality place.

Perhaps a little off topic for the hotel, I witnessed a welcome home reception for some soldiers returning from deployment. The BWI airport staff had a long reception line of people cheering as the soldiers, still in uniform, exited the customs/immigration doors. The people were waving flags, giving away little snack bags and most moving of all, hugging almost everyone who came through. I was so moved... I stopped and watched, adding some cheering of my own to the welcoming. To the BWI Airport staff and by extension all the volunteers who work the welcome home reception: you know how to do it right. I salute you!

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view.
2 Thank jkozik
Abington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Skywalk to the harbor . Convenient Starbucks and adjacent to the mall. It's really impossible not to find anything to do when staying at this hotel . The walk to the room can tire you out though. You may need a map.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a conference, so it was not my choice and I had done little research about the area as the conference was my priority. The room was well appointed. Room was noisy both in terms of outside traffic and hallway noise. The prior guest had left a significant number of items in drawers, which was not discovered by the maid. That made me wonder about how thoroughly room was cleaned between guests. I cannot say I saw visible signs of uncleanliness, however. The hallway was another story...there were maid carts, room service trays and towels everwhere. I could not roll my suitcase through the hallway. It was a very long walk down 3 hallways.
In terms of location, this hotel is located to a plethera of shops and restaurants within walking distance. Never had to even take a cab. Unfortunately on the Harborplace side there is a significant panhandling population outside the hotel. I noticed a police presence, which was good, but they also felt needed. My friend's wallet was stolen out of her purse midday at a fast casual restaurant. I did not ever feel safe when I stepped outside the hotel. For perspective I used to travel alone as a retail trainer all over the country and this was the worst environment that I had ever been at in terms of feeling unsafe in the neighborhood. Thankfully, I felt very safe inside the hotel however. How much you will enjoy your stay depends on purpose of visit. Hotel staff friendly, no complaints there. My roommate was allowed to check in during morning hours and was so happy for that accommodation. Also was pleased to see reasonable prices in gift shop at hotel. Had a nice dinner at hotel restaurant on 5th floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
renhar, Guest experience coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found our location convenient and enjoyed early check in and dinner in our restaurant. My apologies for the crowded condition of the hallways as our guestrooms were being readied for new guests. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping staff. I am sorry you didn't feel safe in the area surrounding the hotel. The inner harbor is such a popular tourist destination and i am sorry you were unable to enjoy it. I have shared your comments with my director of security. He meets weekly with our local law enforcement officials to discuss happenings in the area. He will be sharing your feedback with them.

Thank you again for your review. We truly rely on your feedback.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The hotel location cannot be beat. We walked everywhere - Camden yards, inner harbor, federal hill, fell's point, little italy. Reastaurants, shops, shows, and all the major attractions were within walking distance. Hotel was overbooked because of two conferences and it was noisy, croweded and the elevator lines were atrocious. We took the stairs (9th floor room) many times because we couldn't stand to cram into a crowded hot elevator or to wait for 2-3 cars to go by before we could fight our way on one. The manager's apology upon complaint was - "sorry, we are a 600 person occupancy hotel and wtih conferences and multiple people in rooms we have more like 1500". Poor management to overbook like that if you ask me; the apology gift was free breakfast one day. We should have had a room night refunded. The rooms were nice, the housekeeping staff were great and the location was fabulous. If it wasn't for the location, I would not return. The fitness center is poorly (or not at all) ventilated and was hot, smelled bad and was mostly unusuable. They said they are planning a remodel soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location which is centrally located to everything. I do apologize for the slow elevators. It was certainly a busy weekend in the hotel and in the city. I completely understand your frustration having to wait for elevators. We do have 1 elevator undergoing a renovation. We have renovated 1 elevator at a time for the past two years to minimize the impact on our guests. This last elevator renovation will be completed today. We are running our final tests on it as we speak! When the hotel is full to capacity it does increase the wait times. Again, I am so sorry for the stress this caused.

Thank you for all of your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Pamela Saleh
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Location is good and the hotel it itself is perfect. Parking is a problem with $28 dollars a day. Plus main problem it is very noisy out there. It bothered me as I am not a good sleeper when noise is around.

Room Tip: TIP: Get a higher floor if possible for a excellent view of the harbour
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. I am happy you found our location convenient to all of the Inner Harbor attractions. We do not own or operate the garage connected to the hotel. All of the full service Inner Harbor hotels charge for on site parking. $28 per day is the average with a few a little higher. Being in the heart of downtown there will be some street noise. The views from our harborview rooms are beautiful but you can always opt for a courtyard view room away from the city noise.

Thank you again for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback!

Pamela Saleh
Chilhowie, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here two nights over the weekend for business. The lobby and rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable, and I didn't have trouble sleeping on the 12th floor. It is a little hike to get to the backside hallway from the elevators, which can be slow at times. Perfect location for Inner Harbor activities and walking distance to Camden Yards. Like most downtown hotels I'm sure, parking is a bit of a ripoff.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business