“Great location, majority of staff helpful, does not honor late check out promises”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night in October. Was participating in the Baltimore Half Marathon. The race website had advertised that this hotel would offer a 2pm late check out to runners. Which was not true. The best they could give us was a noon check out. Very disappointing, since the only reason we picked the hotel was based on the late check out.

I even spoke to the Front Desk Supervisor, Angela, who told me "unless you can provide me the late check out statement in writing, I will no honor the request". She went on to tell me they were sold out and needed my room. Considering we paid $242 for the night, it really left a sour taste in my mouth.

As for the hotel, the location is perfect. The hallways are dated, but the rooms are nice. The housekeeping, valet, and bellhop folks were exceptional.

The second night we stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott. The customer service experience was 100% better than what we received at the Renaissance. I think Angela could learn something from her counterpart hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sjs033
Write a ReviewReviews (1,854)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in Baltimore for business in early October. Renaissance was not my first pick, but boy was I surprised. The staff here are fantastic, the decor beautiful the view from my window; priceless. I'll be back whenever I'm in Baltimore and need a little luxury at the end of a stressful day. Love it!

Room Tip: Get the waterfront view! Well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed with a friend while at a conference. Lovely hotel that is attached to a mall. There are several restaurants upstairs and nice shopping. There is a restaurant upstairs in mall that serves a Vietnamese chicken soup bowl, it's to die for! I actually called from the hotel to them and they had it ready for me. I wish I could remember the name. They serve sushi as well which was good. Staff is very friendly here. Convenient to many restaurants, Camden Yards. I walked everywhere and never had an issue or was fearful. Police patrol everywhere. rooms were spacious and nice bathrooms. Nice gym. Just great experience.

Room Tip: It's a large hotel. hallways can be long. If you have issue with walking ask for close to elev...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GThreeGirls
renhar, Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay and you were able to enjoy mall and restaurants. I hope your travels bring you back soon!

Pamela Saleh
Guest Experience Coordinator

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Baltimore for a family wedding was great our hotel the Renaissance at Harborplace was A wonderful location. We were surrounded by great restaurants the aquarium beautiful parks to walk around fun night life, Thank you Baltimore

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel is right across the street from all of the harbor activity - museums, restaurants, shops. My room on the 8th floor had a lovely view. The room was very well appointed and clean. My only complaint was that the windows were far from soundproofed. There is a very busy roadway in front of the hotel with sirens and horns all night and day, and I heard every one clearly even from the 8th floor. Thank goodness I had earplugs with me! The hotel had all of the appointments expected for a "luxury" hotel, but the staff are very well trained in customer service. They all made me feel very welcomed and were there to serve any request. I was very impressed that when one area became very busy, staff from other areas didn't hesitate to jump in and help. I had a bellman help me at the front desk, and later a front desk staffer helped me at the bell desk.

Room Tip: The views are great from the harbor side...if you don't mind the noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here 10/5 and 10/6/2013. We enjoyed our time here very much. Very clean, up to date, and very friendly staff. The fitness room was also very good with lots of water, cups and towels. The fitness room could have been colder, though. Although the bathroom was updated, the shower diverter didn't always work correctly, but we were able to get it to work with some messing with it. Air conditioning was good. The parking garage is not owned by the hotel, so the best deal is to have the hotel desk "validate" your parking ticket so that you pay $28 per day parking with in and out privilages. Very short walk to restaurants, water taxis, and shops.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night of September 28, 2013 while in town for the Orioles v Red Sox. The hotel is at an excellent location and it is very convenient to be able to stroll the mall on down time. However, the accommodations were a lack luster to say the least. The bottom sheets of the bedding barely fit the beds and the bathrooms were not as clean as they should have been (dirt in the sink and tub had an odd brown overtone to it). I took my daughter and her friend to the pool to enjoy a little down time and it had a very musty odor. For what we paid, I would have expected more. Next time, we'll probably try our luck at another hotel in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you were disappointed with your accommodations. I have shared your feedback on the guestroom and pool with hotel management. We rely on your feedback to identify and improve need areas. I was happy to hear you were able to enjoy the attached mall and our convenient location.

Sincerely