“Loved the view”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Took a side trip to Baltimore from DC Stayed on July 2nd for 1 day. Paid extra for a Inner harbor view which was fantastic. the hotel was steps to the inner harbor & a reasonable walk to Camden Yards. Service was great and the room was nice & clean but obviously not a new Renaissance. Did not appreciate the $36.00 valet parking fee. The front desk recommended the Blue Sea Grill which was disappointing. Overall it was up to expectations.
Don't miss the Aquarium!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BenMTampa_FL
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel

Reviewed July 13, 2008

If you want to explore the Baltimore Inner Harbor, get away for a weekend and a ball game, or visit family and friends in Charm City, I suggest you consider the Renaissance Harborplace. Located across the street from dining and shopping at Harborplace on the corner of E. Pratt Street and South Street, it's hard to imagine a more convenient location.

The hotel is fairly modern with a nicely decorated lobby. The staff checked me in quickly and with a smile. The property shows signs of wear and tear in some quarters (e.g. hallways and elevators), but overall it is nicely kept. My room on the 12th floor was large and comfortable with a huge flat screen TV for entertainment.

The small-ish Ground Floor Cafe and Bar is fine for a quick drink or a cup of joe, but it's not a cozy place for an intimate evening or sensitive business discussions. I only had the brunch at the Watertable restaurant on the 5th floor ($20), so I can't say much about dining. Brunch was standard fare with fresh waffles and eggs available to order. With so many wonderful food choices nearby, take a walk unless you're in a hurry.

I spent two weekend nights there in mid-July at a discounted rate and would consider it again at the same price. It's a Marriott rewards category 5, which is about right in my experience. If you don't get a discount or a package deal and you can only book at full rate, think about another hotel. You have several top-notch hotels in the Inner Harbor area with perhaps better value at that rate.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I stayed at the Renaissance 7/6/08-7/9/08.

This hotel is in a great location, right across the street from the Inner Harbor area which has lots of shops and restaurants. I was in meetings all day at another hotel so I did not get a chance to check out everything the hotel has to offer.

The staff I encountered was very professional and helpful. When I checked in, I was asked what type of bed I wanted and whether I wanted to be on a high floor or low floor. I got what I wanted. However, I completely forgot to ask for a view of the Inner Harbor and ended up with a courtyard view.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel. I tried the scrambled eggs (very good), the cheese and ham omelette (okay) and the pancakes (so-so).

I'm thinking of going back to Baltimore for a weekend of leisure with my husband and 6-year-old. I would stay at this hotel again. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My wife and I recently had a wonderful “weekend getaway” in Baltimore, and one of the reasons why it was great was because of our stay at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel. We had a room on the eleventh floor overlooking the inner harbor. If you are going to stay at this hotel, you must get a room on a high floor that faces the inner harbor, as it will make your stay much more memorable. What views!

The hotel is the closest hotel to the harbor and all of its attractions, being right across the street from it. The location is one of the reasons we decided to stay here and our decision to do so was the correct one. All of the attractions, shops, restaurants and sights are within easy walking distance. Orioles Park at Camden Yards, where we saw a baseball game, is an easy five block walk from the hotel.

Other notes: The hotel charges $10 a day for internet use (wi-fi free in the lobby, though). In the room, I was able to find other wireless connections for my laptop, so I didn’t have to pay to use the hotels connection. Our room was clean, large and well appointed, but it could have used a nice comfortable chair. I do know that some other rooms had a comfy chair, but not ours. The hotel did provide binoculars for your use in order to take in those views from our eleventh floor room – nice touch. We had a flat screen TV and, as an unexpected added plus, a small refrigerator. Other plusses: a nightly turn-down service (with chocolate mints) and bath robes.

Check-in was quick and easy. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Self parking was a bit pricey at $26 a day (we had two cars which made it even more expensive). The coffee shop in the hotel lobby was very convenient for a quick breakfast, but other options are really close by (Starbucks). The hotel is attached to The Gallery shopping mall (some upscale shops). Other stores are just down the block (Filene’s Basement, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy . . .). We dined in several of the inner harbor restaurants during our stay: we recommend Phillips (great crab cakes!).

Street noise was noticeable at night, but that was not a problem at all. It just made the area seem more vibrant and alive – there was even a wedding reception on the USS Constellation that Saturday night (we could faintly hear the DJ’s music).

All in all, we had an absolutely wonderful time in Baltimore and would highly recommend the Renaissance Harborplace – but be sure you get a room on a high floor with a view of the inner harbor.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ENBB
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was our second stay in five years at Renaissance Harborplace. We had requested early check-in at the time the reservation was made, but truly did not expect our room to be ready when we arrived shortly after noon, but it was.

Check-in was quick and efficient, the staff courteous and professional. The hotel has had some updates since we were last there, all noticeable improvements. The beds at this hotel are the best I've slept in, the accommodations clean and my request for extra towels at the time of reservation was fulfilled.

The Watertable Restaurant is nice, but this was the only part of our stay which did not live up to expectations. While the staff there was as friendly and attentive as before, the breakfast buffet was not as good as we remembered. The restaurant (formerly called "Windows"), seems smaller, the tables closer together. Although there was a large variety of foods from which to choose, there didn't seem to be quite the number of choices from our prior visit and the fresh pasteries were not all so fresh. We were really disappointed by the restaurant and unlike our prior visit, did not feel the $40.00 tab for two buffets and drinks was worth it.

All in all, though, our stay was pleasant. If you're planning a trip to Inner Harbor, you can't get any closer than this. The hotel has a walkway from the attached Harborplace Gallery to the Pavillion on the Harbor across the street. Both times we've been to Inner Harbor, we've parked our car upon arrival and never went back to it until we were ready to go home.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BabsB72
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Had a great time last week at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel. I was there for a conference and took my wife and infant son.

The staff was exceedingly helpful. They went out of their way to be of assistance to us. The staff at their restaurant "WaterTable" was superb as well was their food. When my infant son started to cry, the manager and our waitress were so thoughtful and kind. Also, their crab cake puff appetizer was out of this world.

To top it all off, they surprised us with a champagne toast delivered to our room for our Anniversary. Great service!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We hadn't been to the inner harbor for at least 15 years and thought it would be nice to take a quick overnight getaway to see some sites, in particular, the Nat'l Aquarium. We were looking forward to showing our son the sites.

So we booked at the Renaissance Harborplace for one night, purchasing the Nat'l Aquarium package, which advertised including free parking, 2 tickets to the aquarium, and free breakfast in the brand new 'Watertable" restaurant.

Check-in was fine, albeit chaotic, but to be expected for a bright, sunny Memorial Day weekend. We requested early check-in and our room was ready early, so it was nice to unload luggage and park the car, and get settled in.

We also requested an extra Aquarium child ticket and the front desk was able to accommodate us, which was great. I recommend a hotel package (several offer packages) or buying your aquarium tickets online ahead...do not wait in line to buy. You'll only get tired and frustrated. We had our tickets from the hotel and walked right into the aquarium. Lots of people and street performers on the inner harbor. In the afternoon, we thought we'd try out the pool at the hotel. It was fine, but small, and even at the dinner hour, was quite crowded. After swimming, we selected M&S for dinner, only because the wait wasn't so long. But while it was very pricey...most reasonably priced entree was meatloaf for $16, to NY strip steak for $32, the food was terrific. We had the mahi mahi blackened and the fried shrimp dinner, and both were excellent! We recommend the twice-baked apple pie for dessert. The wait staff were accommodating and friendly and kept our iced tea glasses filled. Nice atmosphere for couples as well as families with children. We recommend it.

The hotel is not on the water as it is portrayed in its advertising, but it is a close walking distance to everything. Not the clean, shiny harbor place it used to be though....lots of trash, and loiterers (be prepared for all kinds of people), and the faint smell of stale water everywhere you walk. We did request a harbor view room, but we didn't get one. Instead, we got a view of the inside of the attached Harbor Gallery Shops mall. No big deal as the room was comfortable and clean. Beds very comfy. Bathroom very clean.

However, the night of our stay, there was a wedding one floor down and rooms facing the shops could hear the blaring music. I called the front desk once to ask when the music was going to stop as we had children trying to sleep. Music stopped at midnight and we finally settled in for the night. But we were awoken again at 3:35 AM by the fire alarm, and that scared our 9-yr-old. Thirty minutes later, after some confusion, it was determined that a guest had pulled the alarm, and no need to leave the hotel. Needless to say, it wasn't a very restful night after a day of walking and site-seeing.

The next morning, we woke up and looked forward to a nice, free breakfast in the brand new Watertable restaurant. But when we went down to breakfast, it appeared as if only one item was on the menu for breakfast, only one cashier/order taker at the counter, and only one family having breakfast. We opted to check the shops or eateries at inner harbor; however, none were open for breakfast at 9 AM Sunday morning. Cheesecake Factory would have been a good choice, but they don't open until 10 on Sundays.

We opted to have the valet bring our car, packed up, checked out, and drove to another breakfast restaurant on the way home.

All in all , we don't think we got what we paid for, and we probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family