“All that glitters is not gold....”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Pennsylvania
“All that glitters is not gold....”
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We hadn't been to the inner harbor for at least 15 years and thought it would be nice to take a quick overnight getaway to see some sites, in particular, the Nat'l Aquarium. We were looking forward to showing our son the sites.

So we booked at the Renaissance Harborplace for one night, purchasing the Nat'l Aquarium package, which advertised including free parking, 2 tickets to the aquarium, and free breakfast in the brand new 'Watertable" restaurant.

Check-in was fine, albeit chaotic, but to be expected for a bright, sunny Memorial Day weekend. We requested early check-in and our room was ready early, so it was nice to unload luggage and park the car, and get settled in.

We also requested an extra Aquarium child ticket and the front desk was able to accommodate us, which was great. I recommend a hotel package (several offer packages) or buying your aquarium tickets online ahead...do not wait in line to buy. You'll only get tired and frustrated. We had our tickets from the hotel and walked right into the aquarium. Lots of people and street performers on the inner harbor. In the afternoon, we thought we'd try out the pool at the hotel. It was fine, but small, and even at the dinner hour, was quite crowded. After swimming, we selected M&S for dinner, only because the wait wasn't so long. But while it was very pricey...most reasonably priced entree was meatloaf for $16, to NY strip steak for $32, the food was terrific. We had the mahi mahi blackened and the fried shrimp dinner, and both were excellent! We recommend the twice-baked apple pie for dessert. The wait staff were accommodating and friendly and kept our iced tea glasses filled. Nice atmosphere for couples as well as families with children. We recommend it.

The hotel is not on the water as it is portrayed in its advertising, but it is a close walking distance to everything. Not the clean, shiny harbor place it used to be though....lots of trash, and loiterers (be prepared for all kinds of people), and the faint smell of stale water everywhere you walk. We did request a harbor view room, but we didn't get one. Instead, we got a view of the inside of the attached Harbor Gallery Shops mall. No big deal as the room was comfortable and clean. Beds very comfy. Bathroom very clean.

However, the night of our stay, there was a wedding one floor down and rooms facing the shops could hear the blaring music. I called the front desk once to ask when the music was going to stop as we had children trying to sleep. Music stopped at midnight and we finally settled in for the night. But we were awoken again at 3:35 AM by the fire alarm, and that scared our 9-yr-old. Thirty minutes later, after some confusion, it was determined that a guest had pulled the alarm, and no need to leave the hotel. Needless to say, it wasn't a very restful night after a day of walking and site-seeing.

The next morning, we woke up and looked forward to a nice, free breakfast in the brand new Watertable restaurant. But when we went down to breakfast, it appeared as if only one item was on the menu for breakfast, only one cashier/order taker at the counter, and only one family having breakfast. We opted to check the shops or eateries at inner harbor; however, none were open for breakfast at 9 AM Sunday morning. Cheesecake Factory would have been a good choice, but they don't open until 10 on Sundays.

We opted to have the valet bring our car, packed up, checked out, and drove to another breakfast restaurant on the way home.

All in all , we don't think we got what we paid for, and we probably won't stay here again.

• Liked — Comfy beds, clean bathroom.
  • Disliked — Not on the harbor as advertised, noisy, not enough value for the money.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank YorkCountyPaFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
St. Germain, Wi.
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Stayed here again while in town for a baseball game....always clean and comfortable.....employees always very friendly and helpful......right across the street from inner harbor.......about 5-6 block walk to oriole park at camden yards.....price was $180.00 total...priceline....a solid 4 star......will stay again......

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank WisconsinWizard
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 20, 2008

This hotel has the best location you’d hope for Baltimore. It is not right in the harbor as some of the pictures listed on various websites may suggest, but it is in walking distance of all the happenings, great restaurants, the Aquarium, and basically connected to a pretty nice mall. I love shopping so this was just very convenient, for spending a few hours. Also, the selection of restaurant is so big that you can find food for absolutely any tastes and budgets within 10 minutes walking. I would also assume that the proximity of the Aquarium is a plus for family with children: we had the closing night dinner there and I can say this place is a must see for anyone, not only for kids.

The room was clean and spacious, and everything worked as expected. We arrived at lunchtime, along with 100 other tourists, so the check in process was a bit slow, but there is nothing I would hold accountable the hotel for. My room had a nicely sized sitting area, and the work desk was a bit aside from the bed which made working at late hours a bit less difficult.

However what I didn’t like about the place was the fact that the Internet was not free. You’d expect that once you paid $250+ for a room, something as little as the Internet was included. Yet we’ve been charged $10 a day, and here comes the worse part, for a service that we didn’t use. And this wasn’t a mistake made on my bill, because the colleague of mine I traveled with was charged the same thing, although she didn’t even bring her laptop with her. We both complained about this, and had the charges taken off.

The day after I got back to the office, I submitted my expenses sheet, when my boss asked me about a $60 charge that I didn’t even noticed. I called the hotel, and it turned out that I had been billed for a dinner for two although none of us even ate at the hotel restaurant. The hotel representative opened an investigation, and a week later they called me apologizing for the mistake. However, I found a bit disturbing the fact that they made two mistakes on the same bill.

I would say that this a good hotel, although based on the experience I had with them, I would think twice before returning there.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — being overcharged twice
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank andreiuta
Hershey, PA
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Stayed here on a Sat. night. Booked through priceline, got a great deal. Hotel was very clean, hotel staff was more than helpful. Stayed with my wife and two kids. Perfect hotel to see the Aquarium and Inner Harbor sites. So conveinent. I read alot of reviews on travel destinations and am always a little concerned. Don't be with this hotel. Book it.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Marc B
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 11, 2008

My husband and I were initially disappointed that we didn't get a harbor view room, but since we had a terrific rate from priceline, that isn't anything to complain about. The room was very nice--we always look forward to the comfortable Marriott beds with their cushy comforters and thick mattress pads. This hotel is a bustling place that hosts many business functions. It is, however, also a great place for the leisure traveler--the location is terrific--cross the street, and you're on the harbor or in the mall that fronts the harbor and contains several restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza, a sushi bar, tapas restaurant, Irish pub). A short walk in different directions offers you various cultural or shopping options. The hotel itself has a free wireless internet connection in the lobby only; the room connection is $10 daily, but with that comes free local and long distance calls -- something I didn't realize until check out when I came across that bit of info in the book in the room. We had stayed at the Marriott Waterfront the preceding month, which initially appeared to be the better hotel. There are trade-offs, though, that ultimately led us to prefer the Renaissance: the coffee shop downstairs, the free internet access in the lobby, pleasant & eager-to-please personnel, convenience to many harborfront attractions & restaurants, a liveliness about the place -- the Marriott Waterfront was much more subdued. The Renaissance is connected to the Gallery mall--accessible on the 1st & 5th floors--other reviewers had commented that that connection compromised their feeling of safety. We didn't feel that way at all; all areas of this hotel are teeming with personnel and there is always a very safe feeling. We stayed here for 6 nights when my husband had surgery at Hopkins--a $10 cab ride & 15 minute ride away. One night, I returned to the hotel alone at 11 P.M. and there was so much activity and such a presence of staff that I felt extremely safe. The staff at this hotel truly seems to enjoy working here. Aside from that, being in this hotel minimized the feeling that our world was being turned upside down with a serious surgery. I know that is not the experience of the typical traveler, but many travel to Hopkins for its medical excellence, and it is nice to balance that experience with a stimulating harbor location and a lively hotel that also offers you luxury & quiet. We did not use the pool, but it & the whirlpool appeared very nice; the exercise room was open 24 hours. We'd return here in a heartbeat, even with the $26 daily parking charge. All told, we preferred the location to that of the Marriott Waterfront, and the personnel here were genuinely engaging--something we hadn't anticipated but truly enjoyed.

• Liked — Nice room, safe, great personnel
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank singinintherain
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 1, 2008

My boyfriend and I visited the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel over Easter weekend 2008. I booked the room using a Marriott Rewards voucher directly on the Marriott website with a preference for a high floor.

We were welcomed by an attentive and courteous front desk staff upon arrival and to our surprise a beautiful corner room with an EXCEPTIONAL view awaited us. The hotel's views are truly spectacular!!! At night, we were dazzled by the glittering lights of Baltimore's Inner Harbor and during the day, the view of the water was breathtaking.

Our reward included breakfast for two the next morning and the hotel's room service was quick and efficient. We ate an exceptional breakfast in (the most comfortable) king size bed while still enjoying the views of the city waking before our eyes.

We will DEFINITELY visit this gem in Charm City again.

• Liked — Location! Location! Location!
  • Disliked — having to leave...
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1blkhny
Salisbury, Maryland
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I used Priceline again for a stay at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore and was lucky enough to get this hotel again. The hotel is in a perfect location. Centrally located to everything. The staff were all so helpful and friendly. I don't think one person passed us without speaking or asking if we needed anything. The room was beautiful and the beds very comfortable. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Liked — The friendly staff and comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — Depending on where your room is, it could be a hike to the elevator or ice machine.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family