“Location and price was key” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Member Rates
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Baltimore
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Location and price was key”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed here primarily because the price was reasonable for a hotel right on the harbor (compared to the others in the area). We have stayed here many times in the past, and knew what to expect. The front desk person talked us into an harbor view and concierge upgrade, explaining that we could see the "laser show" at the harbor. We later found out that there was no "show."

The lobby is bright but always very busy. There were several teenage groups this partiuclar weekend, which led to extra noise and waits at the elevator.

The room was clean and the staff was friendly. We had no issues with parking. The concierge lounge was basic - we could only use it for breakfast since it was the weekend. However, families with small children took away from the privacy and quiet of the room.

Still, we always know what to expect from the Renaissance. A good solid place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Ashburn,va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 26 January. Although the hotel was very busy with a cheer leading competition in town, the staff went out of their way to be friendly. From the front desk, the bell staff, maids, and security, it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel is located adjacent to a Gallery Mall and has plenty of local food and shopping options. The rooms appear to have been recently renovated and were very modern. We would gladly book this hotel again. Great for families.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Logan, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went with a large choir group and had a great time. First of all the location was tremendous. It is overlooking the harbor and right in downtown Baltimore. The hotel is connected to a mall which was pretty sweet. There are some good restaurants in the food court there and some good stores. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby. Across the street there is a place with more food options and more stores and then through there is the harbor.

The rooms were very nice and clean upon arrival. There is a lot of open space in the room which was enjoyable. Every room has its own thermostat so you can always be comfortable. I will come right out and say that that bed that I slept on was the best bed in the entire world! I slept like a baby. The service was top notch. Very nice workers and very quick in response to any questions or service you have or request. My friend locked my laptop and some money in our safe (located in the dresser drawer) and then forgot the code. When we went to the lobby to tell them what had happened they were alright with it and sent a guy up right away who solved our problem. I never used the swimming pool, but it was on the 7th floor which is cool, I didn't know that that was really even possible to have one that high. From what my other fiends told me they enjoyed it.

One thing that could use improvement are the elevators. They took forever! Plan to take about 5-10 minutes to get up or down because they are so slow. There are only 4 of them that service all floors and then 2 parking garage elevators. I would have taken the stairs because I like to but the only stairs you could take you have to be on the 5th floor and so by the time you get in an elevator and get to the 5th floor you may as well take it all the way up. It was pretty lame in that aspect.

Another thing is that the maids did not do a very good job in my opinion. We stayed % nights and only got it cleaned two times. Why? It wasn't because we out the privacy please sign out because we didn't. When they did come I swear they took more and more towels away from us. We had 4 large one to start out with and by our last night we only had 2. So we went to the lobby and asked for more towels and they gave them to us gladly.

The WiFi was a bit of a disappointment as well, as it costs $12 or $13 for 24 hour access and in my opinion not worth it.

Overall I had a good experience with the hotel and would recommend it for anyone. If I ever go back to Baltimore (which I'm sure I will) then I will definitely stay at the Renaissance.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SENeedham
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Renaissance Harborplace. Our first visit was an anniversary trip with just my husband and this time we brought our 3 year old twins. The staff was so accommodating and kind, taking time to talk to the girls and checking in to be sure we were comfortable.

We visited the National Aquarium, the hotel location is super convenient! We swam in the pool and found it to be very warm and clean, the girls had a great time. This is now our go to hotel when visiting Baltimore.

• Stayed January 2013
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was disappointed with this hotel. The location is great. The rest leaves a lot to be desired.
-Our room smelled really strongly of bleach and something funky.
-You have to pay for internet access.
-There were only 2 towels in the bathroom. If I wanted one for myself and one for my hair, the person I was travelling with would have had none.
-The lobby of the hotel is a cut through to the mall next door so there is a constant flow of people milling about.
-The hotel's website said there were bathrobes provided but there were none in the room.
-There was ZERO information in the rooms about local attractions and local restaurants. There was only a room service menu.
If this hotel didn't put itself out there as a nicer hotel, I wouldn't be so critical. But I had expectations based upon their own description on their website and the price for the room. Those expectations were not met.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eyelove2eat
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Best location for visitors to the inner harbor area. Walk across the street and you are in the heart of the harbor. Great access to restaurants and stores and aquarium and other points of interest.
Hotel is a bit old and has a strange configuration but rooms are excellent in terms of comfort.
Service and people were great. Elevators can be a headache and there are no two alike (or that's how it seems). Have stayed in nearly all of the harbor area hotels of this level (marriott, hilton and one independent) and this is my favorite place to be. If you can, get a harbor view room - looking out the window is better than television.

Room Tip: Harbor view - high floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Charles Town, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times. You cannot beat the location if your plans include going to the Inner Harbor. The hotel is basically within walking distance of all the attractions in the area. The hotel is attached to the Gallery Mall, which is also a plus. The staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to accomodate your needs - usually. I say this because this is the first time that we encountered a very rude person at the front desk. It was clear from the beginning that he wasn't interested in helping us (as soon as we declined an upgraded rooom for more money). When we asked him questions about directions to walk to a concert he acted very bothered and wouldn't even make eye contact. I questioned him about a parking fee, and he seemed angry in his reply. When we got our bill in the morning, we had been charged double for parking. This fee was taken off, after us going back to the front desk. I don't know if he was treating us differently since we booked through Priceline, but it did for a moment sour our feeling on this hotel. On a positive note, the room was great - very clean. Pool area was nice as well. Again, one can't beat the location to the Inner Harbor. Other staff at the hotel were great. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family