“horrified”

Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Merrick, New York
“horrified”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We traveled to baltimore for a family occasion and stayed one night. We were horified at seeing mice running around the halls and in and out of rooms. It ruined our stay. The hotel is convention size, very large and cold. Indoor pool area uninviting.The rooms were fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank odeereme
renhar, Executive Guest Experience Coordinator at Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay in August. I am obviously concerned with your dissatisfaction and would like an opportunity to speak with you. I am curious if you had the opportunity during your stay to reach out to our staff. Will you be able to contact me at your convenience at 410-986-4802? Thank you so much.

Pamela
Executive Guest Experience Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Hotel is right on the waterfront, which is a great area for strolling (or even jogging). Hotel is attached directly to an indoor shopping mall (The Gallery) with a food court. Was there on business and appreciated the fact that outside of the meeting rooms is a large atrium under glass that lets in plenty of sunlight. You are able to look down 4 floors into the shopping mall. Nice design touch.

Little Falls NJ
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed at the Renaissance for two nights in October with 6 girlfriends! Had a wonderful corner suite with an attached room. At first, the room that was connected was incorrect. We had been promised a room with two double beds, but were attached to a room with only 1 king, however, this was immediately rectified. The suite was bright, spotless, with plenty of linens for 7 women and a magnificent view of the Inner Harbor. The staff and manager of the hotel couldn't have been more acommodating especially considering the fact that one member of our party couldn't go on the elevator and had to used escalators in the mall. There was always someone available to walk her to our rooms via the stairs, or to change the direction of the escalator so that she could get to the room. The hotel manager was gracious and helpful as was the concierge taking time to give us some quick must see notes and information about his own favorite spots. Even took our pics in the lobby! Breakfast on-site in the a.m. was very lovely with made from scratch omelets and many other choices -- lots of fresh fruit. I also found the staff of this hotel overall to be pleasant and especially respectful of the guests. I would definitely stay again as this hotel is in a perfect spot in the harbor with the added luxury of being attached to the mall. Only misstep: extremely slow elevators!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on Trip Advisor. We are so happy you chose the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel for your getaway girls. It is so nice be a part of fond memories!

My apologies for the slow elevators. We are in the process of an elevator renovation. I hope you can visit us again once the renovation is complete and experience the new product.

Pamela Saleh
Executive Guest Experience Coordinator
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My organization hosted 80 attendees at a meeting from October 1 – 7, 2012. Prior to arriving we had done a site visit, so I was pretty comfortable knowing the layout of the hotel. The hotel’s front desk and concierge staff always appeared on the ball from my initial site visit up until it was time to depart. Note: It is a full service hotel which was pointed out in a nice way to me when I headed downstairs for a cart to transport my luggage downstairs at check-out time. Bags must be brought up and down to your room by concierge staff if you’re using a hotel cart.

I was placed in a room on the 8th floor that overlooked the harbor. What a view it was! My primary requests were for a room close to an elevator and with an air purifier, so the view was a bonus! My room came with the complimentary binoculars which I was quite frankly too busy to use because I was working, but it was a nice touch anyway.

Staff friendliness was a mixed bag. Front desk and concierge staff were fabulous. I walked the hallways a lot getting to and from meetings in parlor rooms and meeting rooms and I found cleaning staff were often surly and never said hello. This was in direct contrast to recent properties where we stayed for business events.

The property itself is a bit dated. They are working on the elevators which I was told would take another year to complete. At peak times (like at breakfast or dinner time), it could take 2 elevators before you could get on because they were so packed! Hallways near elevators seemed to be very hot on several floors.

The property is very large and unless you make a special request you might find that your room is way on the other side of the building. I requested a room close to an elevator and even so, I had to walk by 15 rooms on each side before I got to my own. Others in my party had it worse!

As others have mentioned there is street noise – especially if your window faces the harbor. Sirens, garbage trucks, cars all went by at all times of the night and early mornings. I am not a light sleeper and even I was disturbed a couple nights.

Banquet services for the most part (if buffet meals) were very good except for a group dinner on Friday when my organization “tried” a sit down dinner. Food was served cold and my table started eating ½ hour after others. Some people were eating dessert while a few at my table hadn’t received their entrees yet! Why the hotel would think that rare meat would be popular is beyond me.

Room set ups did not go as smoothly as we’re accustomed to at other properties and I had one unpleasant interaction with a rude AV/IT manager who never apologized directly.

All in all, for the leisure traveler who has limited expectations and don’t plan to stay at the hotel much, the hotel is a good choice. For meeting planners it’s a mixed bag and you can probably do better.

If you found this review helpful, please click “yes” below. Thank you.

Room Tip: The property is very large and unless you make a special request you might find that your room is wa...
5 Thank trinigirlmd
dre11434
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A huge factor in my review is that I secured a night at this hotel at a really great price by naming my price so that allowed me to look the other way on some stuff that I would have been really dismayed at had I paid the full price. Stuff like the extremely slow elevators. Ok, so there was a sign saying that one elevator was down but having to resort to taking the elevator up to secure room on the way down because it was that much delayed is not cool. Also what was not cool was the high cost of wifi access that was neck and neck with the elevator in the race for how slow can you go. Let me just say that any world class hotel that can justifiably charge premium rates should never look to gouge travelers further with exorbitant fees. Especially self-proclaimed business friendly hotels.
Now to the positive... phenomenal location. If you are looking for the full Baltimore Inner Harbor experience, this location will definitely provide it. You are steps away from the water front and dozens of great eating spots. There is also a mall connected to the hotel via a covered walkway. which is great for wives and girlfriends. The room was very, very clean and the gym was also spotless with *gasp* more than 2 treadmills (this might be illegal.. i'm pretty much sure they are breaking some hotel rules about having 2 or less treadmills). The lobby was warm and very welcoming with free lemonade and cookies. The bathroom was very nondescript but very clean so i'll be neutral on that. I like to be wowed by a hotel's bathroom but i'll take a clean bathroom over a fancy dirty one. All in all, it was a great stay. I slept well and and I ate well.
PS... Please check out the hotel bar on the 5th floor, the food was amazing, the service friendly and the views outstanding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and had a very pleasant stay. It was well located with lots of activity nearby and around. I was at the convention center during the days, and this was a pleasant enough walk away.

The room was fine, well decorated although some of the hard surfaces have seen better days, bed comfortable and my partial harbor view was lovely.

But the best thing about this hotel was the service. From the smiling bell man who grabbed my bag out of the taxi when I got there, and throughout my entire stay, all the hotel staff I dealt with/ran into were down right cheerful.

If I find myself back in Baltimore again, I won't hesitate to stay here.

Houston, USA
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We loved this hotel location - right in front of the harbor, very convenient, and within walking distance to everywhere. Staff was extremely attentive, friendly, and helpful - from reception, to concierge, to elevator greeters - made us feel very welcomed. Check in/check out was fast and efficient.

Room was very spacious, clean and with comfortable bed. Bathroom could use a rack/hook to hang face towels. The shower water pressure was excellent (important when you have lots of hair…).

We had drinks and appetizers at the WaterTable Bar (not the restaurant) one evening. Service was friendly but slow. We also had the continental breakfast buffet for $11/person once which was very good - wide assortment of cereals, pastries, cold cuts, fruits and hot items. The small fruit shots were particularly good. Views of the harbor from the dining area were fantastic, very enjoyable.

Gym was nice, although it seemed a bit small for the size of the hotel. Still we managed to get two treadmills at 8:30am on a Saturday. Elevators were a bit slow, lots of waiting time, both for hotel and parking elevators - a few times we took the stairs.

Parking is $28/day for self-parking and you can come in/out as many times as needed.

We highly recommend this hotel - excellent staff and very convenient location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple