“Great location but meh”

Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
dre11434
“Great location but meh”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A huge factor in my review is that I secured a night at this hotel at a really great price by naming my price so that allowed me to look the other way on some stuff that I would have been really dismayed at had I paid the full price. Stuff like the extremely slow elevators. Ok, so there was a sign saying that one elevator was down but having to resort to taking the elevator up to secure room on the way down because it was that much delayed is not cool. Also what was not cool was the high cost of wifi access that was neck and neck with the elevator in the race for how slow can you go. Let me just say that any world class hotel that can justifiably charge premium rates should never look to gouge travelers further with exorbitant fees. Especially self-proclaimed business friendly hotels.
Now to the positive... phenomenal location. If you are looking for the full Baltimore Inner Harbor experience, this location will definitely provide it. You are steps away from the water front and dozens of great eating spots. There is also a mall connected to the hotel via a covered walkway. which is great for wives and girlfriends. The room was very, very clean and the gym was also spotless with *gasp* more than 2 treadmills (this might be illegal.. i'm pretty much sure they are breaking some hotel rules about having 2 or less treadmills). The lobby was warm and very welcoming with free lemonade and cookies. The bathroom was very nondescript but very clean so i'll be neutral on that. I like to be wowed by a hotel's bathroom but i'll take a clean bathroom over a fancy dirty one. All in all, it was a great stay. I slept well and and I ate well.
PS... Please check out the hotel bar on the 5th floor, the food was amazing, the service friendly and the views outstanding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and had a very pleasant stay. It was well located with lots of activity nearby and around. I was at the convention center during the days, and this was a pleasant enough walk away.

The room was fine, well decorated although some of the hard surfaces have seen better days, bed comfortable and my partial harbor view was lovely.

But the best thing about this hotel was the service. From the smiling bell man who grabbed my bag out of the taxi when I got there, and throughout my entire stay, all the hotel staff I dealt with/ran into were down right cheerful.

If I find myself back in Baltimore again, I won't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, USA
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We loved this hotel location - right in front of the harbor, very convenient, and within walking distance to everywhere. Staff was extremely attentive, friendly, and helpful - from reception, to concierge, to elevator greeters - made us feel very welcomed. Check in/check out was fast and efficient.

Room was very spacious, clean and with comfortable bed. Bathroom could use a rack/hook to hang face towels. The shower water pressure was excellent (important when you have lots of hair…).

We had drinks and appetizers at the WaterTable Bar (not the restaurant) one evening. Service was friendly but slow. We also had the continental breakfast buffet for $11/person once which was very good - wide assortment of cereals, pastries, cold cuts, fruits and hot items. The small fruit shots were particularly good. Views of the harbor from the dining area were fantastic, very enjoyable.

Gym was nice, although it seemed a bit small for the size of the hotel. Still we managed to get two treadmills at 8:30am on a Saturday. Elevators were a bit slow, lots of waiting time, both for hotel and parking elevators - a few times we took the stairs.

Parking is $28/day for self-parking and you can come in/out as many times as needed.

We highly recommend this hotel - excellent staff and very convenient location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Levittown, PA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I recently traveled to the Inner Harbor with some friends to check out the Inner Harbor. We had Marriott points and were able to book a room on club level for our stay.
The location was great.
The rooms was clean.
The staff was accommodating and pleasant.
The breakfast that we got was also wonderful.
The only negative thing I have to say is "Really, $40 for valet parking?" I thought that was a bit much, but we paid it anyway for the convenience...it was $28 to self park...at that point, why not pay $40.
I want to go back to the Inner Harbor and would definately stay here again if I can.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Saratoga, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days on business, great location by the harbor and attached to a shopping mall which was convenient. The staff was nice and friendly and the service at the bar was great. Clean, consistent and predictable which is always a plus for business travel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend. Nice location right across the harbor. Nice bar. There were a couple of weddings we noted around here. Staff pleasant!

Downside: right across a mall so sometimes becomes ver crowded

• Stayed October 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel October 11th-13th for the Deck Expo. We were in room 6032, we had a beautiful view of the inner harbor right out our window, The room was clean, the beds were super comfortable and the location was PERFECT. Right in the middle of everything, and even a mall downstairs! The only negative I would say is because we had SUCH a good view the street noise was a bit loud, but the view was def. worth a little noise. The onyl other negative was the bar downstairs was pretty expensive, id suggest for a few drinks just going down to the harbor. We ate at Houlighans which was a little past hard rock cafe, they had awesome drinks for a great price. All in all we would def. stay here again. Clean, comfortable, and worth the extra money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business