“I struggled with the rating 3.5 would be better...”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Baltimore, Maryland
“I struggled with the rating 3.5 would be better...”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I like this hotel and I've stayed here before. However, this weekend I'm not sure the hotel was ready for what it had coming. They had a wedding party there that had to be in the hundreds. They were rude (the wedding people), held up the elevators, and basically took over the hotel. It was hard to get help when you needed it because this party had to be consuming every ounce of staff the hotel had. I could tell by the way they treated people in the elevators that they pretty much could care less tha the rest of us were trying to enjoy our weekends too. At one point I called for a roll away bed at 7:30. I woke up at 10:30 and no one had come. I called again and they brought it up, but we had to wake everyone in the room and move the beds around. I ran to the starbucks in the lobby one morning for a banana, but I guess the wedding people bought everything in the place so they had no bananas but told me I could ride back up to the 5th floor to get one and pay for it downstairs. No fun since the avg elevator wait could easily go into 15 minutes. Every time the elevator would stop there would be a group of angry guest waiting to get on a crammed elevator. At one point, I did notice the hotel was trying to get people to use the parking elevator to get to the 5th floor, to open things up a little, but these rude guests just didn't care. I hate that this tarnished my entire weekend, but i hope that someone from the hotel reads this and understands that had this been my first visit here, I would NEVER come back. I just happen to know that this is normally a nice hotel. Attaches to the Gallery for kinda lame shopping and food. Baltimore has so much to offer, but the harbor needs a new burst of something! All the rooms here are nice. The pool is great - usually filled with kids, just an fyi. The health club is nice as well. This was the first time I had the breakfast buffet on the 5th floor and it was fabulous. With the restaurant on the 3rd floor, I never remember it's there and usually walk somewhere. The buffet was great and I'll eat there again next time I stay. Overall, I would reccomend this hotel. You won't find much better in the downtown area. Baltimore has one thing that is hard - it is VERY hard to find good, caring employees that are willing to make the trek down town to work. Everyone I encountered that worked for the HOTEL (not the store or starbucks, I'm not sure who they work for but they can kick it up a little) was VERY nice and willing to help. It's just a shame that this wedding party ruined (probably) most people's weekend.

Room Tip: The beds are comfy in all the rooms! I could not hear street noise at all.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tracy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
San Diego
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel engineering department decided to drill before 7 am on the floor above us, when we called hotel management they showed no disregard to our issues and would not have any resolve for our concerns. The manager was short with us and rude. The positive was the location....ONLY positive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mygriff
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here for a conference at a slightly reduced rate (under $200/night) but did not find this hotel in any way spectacular. Perhaps it was because I did not get a room with a view of the harbor, which seems to be the whole point of this hotel. My room was facing the courtyard, pretty boring but all I really needed was a bed.

The area is the prime tourist area in Baltimore, which means overpriced food and no real nightlife. However, the two of the free circulator bus routes stop right in front of the hotel, which was very convenient for exploring more authentic parts of Baltimore. The rooms are clean and spacious, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a hotel of this tier. The check-in staff was also not very understanding of the fact that I pre-paid the full reservation price through a third party, even though such things are commonplace at conference stays.

Bottom line: unless you get a discounted rate, it's not worth the price. I've stayed at much cheaper places with better service.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a room with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pavel G
Belgium
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed from 9 till 13th of May. Standard room Kingsize bed. Spacious room, big LCD, 2 chairs, desk WIFI (charged at 13 USD/night) nice bathroom. Decoration somehow outdated but clean.
Nice bar and restaurant. SHopping mall in centre of hotel. Nice Starbucks on ground floor for morning coffee.
Nicely located at the inner-harbour.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Fclement
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

My flights were delayed the night I was scheduled to arrive. 3 messages from the hotel when plane landed for my layover "we are checking on your arrival time." while rushing to my next flight, I called and was asked to hold, after a wait I was told I did not have a room. I mentioned the guaranteed reservation and was told that they did not have a room, and had made arrangements at the nearby Marriot, where I spent the first of my two nights in town (actually, the first morning). The bill was zero when I checked out of the Marriot - "It was covered by the Renaissance" said the desk clerk. When I got to the Renaissance they did have a room. They gave me access to the club level to make up for the inconvenience. When I got to my room it was a suite, and I returned in the evening to find a split of Cabernet along with an assortment of snacks. Staff was friendly and apologetic, and compensated me for the inconvenience of an after midnight shuffle. Location is great. Awesome bedding. 4 on service and overall for the wait on hold and not honoring a confirmed reservation.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank photo999
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed in a Harbourview room on the 11th floor. Perfect view..but surprising how much street noise we heard..sirens and traffic all night. We moved our furniture around abit in the room to sit facing the windows where we enjoyed having a birds eye view of the Tall Ships there for the "Sailabration". Our bathroom had a standing shower only.. no tub, but it worked out great for us. We would have liked more towels in place instead of having to ask for them 3 times. There was no make up mirror, or full length mirror which was disappointing. We had to put one of the decorative bed throws on the floor at the door because there was a 2 inch space that let ALOT of hallway light and noise in. The room was clean and the bed was super comfy. Overall, a nice hotel just needs some extras.

Room Tip: Definately pay the extra for a Harborview.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Crestview, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance for two nights (Sunday and Monday night). I got a good rate and was not disappointed by the area. It has places to eat and drink for all levels of dining and fun that you want. From Dick's Last Resort and the Hard Rock (which had a live band on the Sunday night I was there) to upscale restaurants like Phillips. On Monday I enjoyed tapas while overlooking the harbor and the USS Constitution. Overall, the hotel was nice. Room service was prompt and reasonably priced. The room was clean and there were plenty of towels and pillows on the bed. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the harbor side in a higher floor for a great view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business