“Great Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Brussels, Belgium
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

What a great hotel. Perfectly located overlooking the Inner Harbour. We arrived around 11:00 and were immediately given a room without waiting. No "we don't give rooms until 3:00" or "You're early, come back". That was nice. And the room was on the 11th floor (out of 12 floors) with a "full harbour view" overlooking the stern of the USS Constitution. What a beautiful view of the Harbour and the buildings. To die for. Also located adjacent to the Gallery Shopping Mall, so if you are a shopper, you can access it through the lobby.

The room was first rate. Huge window wall overlooking the Harbour. Beds were some of the most comfortable I can recall. In fact, the second night I was looking forward to going to sleep. It appears that they use firm mattresses and then cover them with an inch or two of soft material. Bed linens were of top quality and cosy. There was some hallway noise and sirens of the crime fighters on Pratt Street, but other than that a good nights sleep.

Large flat screen TV with the typical satellite/cable channels plus HBO. Nice coffee service, an in-drawer modern safe, hairdryer and Wi-Fi (for $`12.95 for 24 hours).

Parking was a bit steep at $28 a day, but it appeared that they used public garage and they pass that cost on. For $12 more a day, they provide valet paring. I normally don't take the valet option (I'm not that old that I can't park my own car), but there were so many cars when we arrived that the idea of someone taking care of the car was too tempting.

While the hotel was magnificent, I thought that some of the people could improve. While I was very happy with an early room, it wouldn't hurt the lady at reception to smile once in a while or ask us how's it going. After all, other than the valet parking guy, she is our first experience with the hotel and first impressions are hard to shake. So reception lady, relax, smile and enjoy people. Also, when we arrived there was only one person manning reception. While we were second in line, the person ahead of us had some personal issue that took more than 5 minutes. Once the line began to form, they did bring out another staff member to deal with the arrivals. But at a hotel of this calibre, there shouldn't be a delay. Also, I noticed that reception handled questions and matters that the concierge should have handled. Reception should refer such issues to the concierge and get on the reception matters.

People seemed to really like room service. You could tell by all the plates, glasses and trays outside doors in the hallway. And they stayed there for some time. Not only was it an eyesore and disruptive, the aroma wasn't pleasant. I'm surprised that the dirty dishes stayed there so long as they could easily be collected at least once an hour.

Also, we forgot a Europe to US electrical adapter and hoped that the hotel had one we could borrow. Most upper scale hotels in urban areas such as Baltimore normally have them. No luck, but reception happily referred us to the Hotel store. It had one, but at three times the price as that on the normal economy. Ouch! The store also sold newspapers, but would put yesterday's paper on top of the pile of today's paper. Sort of like a grocery store putting overripe fruit on top of the better fruit to get rid of it. Shame, shame hotel store. Why trash your name for the price of a newspaper?

We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was very good. Not cheap, but not that much more than outside places. And the food was of very good quality.

They did incorrectly charge me for two days of internet when I only used one. I was sent a final email bill with a link to ask about the bill. Unfortunately the link doesn't work, so looks like I got stiffed for $12.95 worth of internet I didn't use.

In the end, its a wonderful hotel, ideally located and luxurious. Nice people who will certainly smile more in the future if anyone reads this. Not cheap, but it had an affordable Government rate. Well worth the money. I'd stay there again in a second.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Roanoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the first two weeks of December because of work obligations. This hotel was very nice. I had access to the concierge lounge, and as a result was treated to a variety of breakfast options in the morning, and hors d'oeuvres after a long day of work. The people working in the lounge made sure that the food stayed well stocked, and the service area stayed clean. Kenneth at the front desk checked me in when I first arrived and was very friendly. I saw him throughout my stay, and he always provided service with a smile (which was a rare commodity in Baltimore as most of the people I encountered outside of the hotel – Baltimore residents/natives – were not smiling – but overall very rude) Dianne in housekeeping was also very accommodating. I called to request a pull out bed be brought to the room, and she set it up very quickly, and was very friendly. The view from the hotel was excellent (especially in the workout room). If I ever do stay in downtown Baltimore again for work, I will request that arrangements be made at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Clean, comfortable and friendly hotel. Great location.

Philly, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Overnight stay Feb 19 with small children. Friendly and helpful staff greet you outside and in the lobby area. Great location - park and walk to everything, minutes from the aquarium. By luck we were able to check in early (before 10am), issued a room on 9th floor with harbor view. Huge plus checking in before our visit the aquarium, drop bags, freshened up and still made our 10:30 ticket time. The room was spacious and clean, the beds were extremely comfortable. Parking is a little pricey ($40 valet) but standard for Inner Harbor. We had access to the Club Lounge, which offered a nice breakfast, nightly food items and beverages. The indoor pool was adequate, small paddle boards,pool towels and changing rooms, Wifi area with tables, lounge area and large flat screen TV. Starbucks in lobby and access to the Gallery was nice. We did not have any issues with hallway noise as others have noted, our floor was quite during our stay. We look forward to our next stay at this hotel.

Redwood City, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel has a great location, couldn't imagine a better one in Baltimore. It's about 15 minutes from the airport, easy access. The rooms are nice - good Marriott standard rooms. Make sure to request a room facing the harbor. Even though I made a specific call prior to my visit to request a harbor view, they put me in a courtyard room. I pushed back gently and got a room with a harbor view - it made all the difference. A very minor nit: most hotels in this category give you 3-4 sets of towels. For some reason they give you 2 - cost savings?

Room Tip: Make sure to request a harbor view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RalphandMark
Ivy, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Clean and comfortable, good location, friendly staff, overpriced when compared with its competition. Skip the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JandPdineout
Naples, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

I just returned from 3 nights at this hotel as an advisor for a Model UN conference with 25 teens. The staff at the hotel made everything run smoothly. Check-in was incredibly efficient given the number of students staying there from all over the country. The rooms were spacious and well equiped with a mini-frig in each room. Location was perfect for this kind of group, as the hotel is attached to a mall and food court that they could visit during their free time. The meeting rooms were set up well and easily accessible. I also booked the restaurant for our group for Saturday night and they made up a special menu with choices of salad and entree at a reasonable price with only 1 day's notice! Thank you to all of the staff at the hotel for making our stay a pleasure. Just a couple of suggestions. More elevators are needed if you are going to host conferences! There was a real back-up at check out. And a word to the previous reviewer: Before you book a room at a full service hotel in a large city always check to see if they are hosting a conference. Thousands of teenagers do not make for a relaxing and quiet stay at any hotel :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business