“Nice surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Baltimore
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Arrived Friday Dec 30 for 2 nights. The front desk was very nice. Checked into a nice,clean updated room. The bed was very comfortable. The room faced the harbor. Great view. Saw the fireworks from our room. Great crab soup at this hotel. Better then the well known seafood resturants. The only complaint was housekeeping. They did not complete their room check. We had to call for shampoo,tissues and they only give you 2 towels. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed here 4 nights as part of a conference. Room was very comfy & clean. The hotel provided most of the food for our meetings and it was great. Location is right across from the harbor, a nice walk between meetings and to the aquarium. My room was very far from the elevator, so if this is a problem, be sure to request a close room, as the hotel is shaped in a square with only one way up to the rooms.

Room Tip: If walking long distances to the room is an issue, reqeuest one close to the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Across the street from the Inner Harbor with abundant shopping downstairs. Rooms were nice, nothing extraordinary, but you're paying for the location. Walking distance to most IH restaurants and tourist areas.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed here for a convention and thought the hotel was adequate but nothing special. The room was nice but nothing special. The hotel restaurant/bar on the 5th floor had pretty tepid service. The location was good and close to the harbor. Overall, it was worth the money and a nice place, but pretty ordinary overall.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Very comfortable bed! Housekeeping was slow to pick up room service trays, sometimes longer than 24 hours. Wifi is $12.95 a day and not very reliable - it dropped me several times. No vent in bathroom. Front desk staff was helpful. Attached mall was nice for window shopping and fast food. Hotel resraurant should be avoided at all costs!

Room Tip: Room 6050 was quiet, at the end of the hallway, a half mile from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed here since it was the host hotel for a professional conference I attended. I had my spouse and two kids with me and the location was great for the tourist attractions. The hotel is in a mall so there is stuff to look at right near the lobby. The room was a nice size and very clean. The most outstanding aspect of this hotel was the friendly and knowledgeable staff. Considering how crowded the hotel was for the convention, I was amazed at how helpful and upbeat the staff remained.

The main negative of this hotel is that I had to pay for internet access each day per device. Seeing as how my family had five devices needing internet access, this was a MAJOR drawback for us. I still can't believe hotels continue to insist on charging for wi-fi access in this day and age when just about all travelers require internet access. If this had not been the host hotel for my convention, I would have searched for a hotel that offered free wi-fi. My employer paid for my internet access but it was really frustrating for my husband to have to drag the kids to the Starbucks a few blocks away in order to use his iPad to plan the day's activities. It was also a major pain that the hotel did not even offer free wi-fi for conference participants in the meeting rooms. For $220 per night, spare me some wi-fi during the day so I can check my work e-mail on my iPad!

Also, I wouldn't recommend going too far off the beaten path around this hotel. There are plenty of places to walk to right in the Inner Harbor but don't walk too far outside the boundary. We wanted to try a crab place recommended by a friend that was one mile from the hotel so we figured we would walk. Not a good idea! The neighborhood went from bad to worse in a matter of blocks and we did not feel safe at all. Needless to say, we took a cab back to the hotel after dinner.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for business trips but I would might look elsewhere for a family vacation spot.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I'm a Marriott Platinum Elite member - lots of nights at lots of Marriotts. Renaissance usually can be counted on for a good showing for the Marriott brand. Not in this case. Some details: Mouse traps in the hallways, unclean pool water that actually smelled. sink taps that spit brown rust. Perhaps they are confused with "Ramada" - that's seems to be their standard. Need to clean up their act - I will avoid this hotel until they do.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business