“A good hotel, lovely views, good service”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel for 3 nights per week nearly every week from November 2010 to April 2011. First, the positives: the hotel has excellent service, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I only had a few special requests while I was there but I was always readily accommodated. I really enjoyed the workout room, with treadmills and elliptical machines facing windows (not the optimal view, but still nicer than a wall). The coffee bar opens very early and serves Starbucks beverages, which I really enjoyed. The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms in general are nice. Each room has a mini-fridge that probably used to be a mini-bar. I made good use of mine since I didn't like to eat in restaurants every night (though there are an abundance nearby). Which brings me to the best thing about the hotel, its location. It is directly across from the harbor, and the views - if you get a full harbor view - are delightful. The aquarium is across the street, as are many attractions at the harbor (e.g., USS Constellation, water taxis, live music in the summertime).

On the downside, the hotel is pretty pricey unless you get a good corporate rate or some other deal (which I did). Also, parking is not cheap, but similar to other locations in the city. And ... this is kinda petty ... there is only one elevator bank which is quite far from some of the rooms. The hotel occupies nearly a full city block and is built around a courtyard. So, if your room is at the opposite corner from the elevators you feel like you have walked a half mile to get there. It's good exercise, but I finally started requesting a room closer to the elevators. The best rooms are the ones with the full harbor view, because they are a medium-distance from the elevators as well as the nicest.

Room Tip: Ask for full harbor view, or second best, partial harbor view. Let them know if a long walk to elev...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank traveler91047
Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Let me get this out of the way first, I came in from Dallas, Texas in order to go to Otakon. I thought that since this hotel had recieved high ratings that we'd get good service and nothing would go wrong. Oh boy, was I wrong.

When we were checking in Thursday before the convention actually started the person who booked our room had to deal with quite possibly the rudest person I have ever seen in my entire six-year convention hotel experience. This guy continually told her the wrong amount for the room, would not work with us, was condescending as all get-out, and pretty much continued to COUNT OUR MONEY WRONG at the same time. I walked away to calm down half-way through this but I counted at least three times he counted our money wrong and no one else at the front desk would help when one of our other friends tried to get someone else to help us instead of him. It was pretty much like we were "lesser guests" because of the fact we were there for Otakon. I watched before we were able to check in and everyone who wasn't "convention goers" was treated with absolute respect and politeness. This is ridiculous considering we pay just as much as other people to stay in this place.

The rooms were also entirely uncomfortable as the AC was spotty at best and the beds felt like I was sleeping on a slab of stone instead of a bed. Also, if we needed extra towels or anything it took at least an hour, if not more, to get any and they always sounded like we were taking valuable time away from them for doing so.

This is the worst experience I have EVER had in a hotel and I will certainly not be staying here ever again or recommending it to anyone ever.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank StaceyBla
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I travel frequently to Baltimore and this is my usual place to stay. It's been fairly well-maintained with attractive rooms, many with great views overlooking the Inner Harbor. Very centrally located and everything from Camden Yards to Harbor East are a 10 minute walk. Staff has always been friendly and responsive. The only negative is that it is very much a convention hotel and feels it - it is large-scale, busy, and at very busy times it can be hard to get attention.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BGosivetti
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My daughter and I tagged along with the hubby to Baltimore. He came here for a conference for 4 days. During this time,we had to use the fax machine to receive and send faxes. The front desk staff were great and patient with us in helping us. Room was great. Housekeeping was good. I love the fact that the hotel is attached to a mall and you can use the overpass to get to the inner harbor rather than crossing the street. I would come back to this hotel again. Great customer service!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Nice Hotel at a reasonable price, walking distance to the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards. They also have discounted on site parking for guests.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I got my room for $85 Off priceline. The room online is $280. It was a nice clean room just like the hotel pics show. It did not have a view. They said that would be an extra $40. Parking is $28 for overnight. Its location is great. It has a walkway over to the harbor and there is shopping everywhere. I would not have been happy paying $280, but for the deal I got, I was very happy! Priceline is the way to go!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank mich821
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Perfect location...within walking distance to almost anything you desire. Rooms were adequate. Staff there to please. However, I believe it was over-priced. Except for lemonade in the lobby...and coffee pot in room...there was nothing else complimentery.

I have stayed in many hotels...with less rates..and at least received a complimentery breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family