“Rip Off, Not A Place To Hold A Conference”

Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Chicagoland
“Rip Off, Not A Place To Hold A Conference”
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I went to a conference there in March and luckily only stayed a night. The room was average and nothing special for the money. The biggest rip-off is the Overnight Parking.

I can see paying $36 a night in NY or even Chicago, but Baltimore????

If I was to stay two nights - I would have been better off taking a taxi from the airport - even though it is a far drive - than renting a car and paying for parking.

You would think they would have a reduced rate for a guest - but they
don't. $36 a night for parking? I even wrote that on their survey which they conveniently leave out any question about the cost of parking. The manager sending out the survey never responded. So how concerned are they about your stay?

This was my first time in Baltimore and I would not think about going
there again. As for holding a conference there, pick another city. Las Vegas, Chicago, Dallas/ Fort Worth (Hyatt accessible by monorail from airport).

• Liked — That I only stayed one night
  • Disliked — The rip-off parking fees.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank PROF_CONSULTANT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Korean first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I decided to take a trip to Baltimore for July 4th weekend. We had never been to Baltimore ... and will NEVER go back. First of all... we requested a King bed... got a queen... so they gave us a regency club card to make up for it. This "club" has old eggs Benedict and rotten fruit... and $2 bottles of wine... that arent even complimentary! You have to pay $4 per cup of the junk! he best is... they have a monitor in this pathetic room. The first night in our teeny tiny noisy room overlooking Baltimores finest parking lot and construction sites... our sink overflowed and big clumps of hair starting to come out of the drain. The hotel was nice and gave us a room with a harbor view... and a king bed. Not really sure why they couldnt have given us in the first place... but oh well.

Second, the majority of the staff couldn't recommend a seafood restaurant to save their lives!!! Baltimore is known for one thing.. crabs.... so then why would the staff recommend LEGAL SEA FOODS... a chain restaurant,.... as the BEST!? What a joke!!!

Also... do not ask for a nightlife recommendation because you might get mugged in the location that the staff recommends! Our cab driver talked us out of going to any bars in the recommended location!! WILL NEVER RETURN.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ACK1106
Tryon, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I recently stayed at the Hyatt while attending a conference in Baltimore. The hotel is in a great location, especially if you're traveling alone; it's connected via skywalk to Harborplace... lots of shops and restaurants. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank AWS_NC
Maryland
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I was only at the hotel one night, but was really happy with my experience. The room was enormous with really nice features, including a large remodeled bathroom and a bench seat along the window. The bed was comfortable. The location was great, just a walk across the footbridge from the inner harbor. The staff was incredible efficient, with prompt answers to my questions, always ready to direct me to where I needed to go, etc. I also really liked the TV checkout feature and, sure enough, my receipt was waiting for me when I got downstairs 5 minutes later.

I've stayed at a number of more 'elite' hotels recently on business, and found this one to be my best experience. I didn't give it a '5' rating only because I didn't have experience with other features of the hotel, like the restaurant, room service, etc.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank ModerateTraveler
Chicago
Reviewed May 6, 2007

So I just got back fom a short weekend in Baltimore for a Family get together. We have been staying at the Hyatt for almost a decade and the recent $20 million renovation was really nice. The location is perfect with a walkway to the inner harbor area and walking distance to Camden Yards. The rooms were clean and comfortable with a new modern design and amenities (HDTV, Coffee Maker, Iron, Hair Dryer, etc.). Outside of that however the hotel is not a place for couples or families as it mainly caters to Conventions, there were two while we were there and they dominate the hotel. A sales convention had drunk salesmen keeping us up at night and a cheerleader convention had us awake with screaming girls in the moring.

In addition service was really sub par. Long lines at check in (only two desk attendants and a broken automated machine for over 20 people!), room service forgot to pick up our breakfast order, and they didn't place the newspaper next to our door, they threw it at it and woke us up at 5:30am.

So in summary this is a great place to have a convention and is in the heart of all the tourists attractions, but for a romantic getaway or quiet weekend it is not the place!

• Liked — Location and nice rooms
  • Disliked — Bad service and convention atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DMacey
Virginia
Reviewed April 24, 2007

My wife, two kids and I stayed at the Hyatt in mid-April. It is a great location. We parked the car and never saw it again until check out. The hotel is literally across the street from the Inner Harbor. We walked to the National Aquarium (awesome), the Maryland Science Center (also awesome) and even up to Oriole Park (3 or so blocks) and the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum (another 2-3 blocks past Oriole Park). We walked to the Harbor malls for lunch and dinner. Best location there is.

The rooms were nice but the doors and walls were incredibly thin. The Hyatt had some sort of teenage event on Saturday night and the teenagers congregated in the halls. When they weren't yelling and laughing (which was most of the time) even normal conversations in the hall sounded loud and as if in our room. Security (I called them twice) just disbursed them temporarily and it was clear the hotel took no other action besides asking them to quiet down because as soon as security left our floor, they would start all over again. I eventually became my father and went out and used the "you kids quiet down" line. That worked better than security in keeping them in the rooms. At check-out, the front desk staff's response to this same story: "Oh, yeah, we had a lot of complaints."

Valet parking was very fast and friendly but incredibly expensive and, as it turned out (see above), totally unnecessary. The restaurants in the hotel were also incredibly expensive so we ate elsewhere.

The outdoor pool, tennis courts and basketball court sat on the roof of the 6th floor. We thought this would be very cool but all were very run down. The fitness center, however, was about the best I have seen in a hotel. It had a lot of cardio equipment, good weight machines and even a full rack of dumbbells!

One last note: the conceirge recommended a restaurant for dinner in Little Italy, Rocco's. They picked us up at the hotel and even drove us back! The food was great and the service even better! My kids were the only kids in the place and we were still treated very well and they were doted on by waitstaff from other tables.

• Liked — Location, location
  • Disliked — Lack of control of teenage guests, noise that comes into room from hallway
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank grhokie
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We stayed a night last week. The room was nice. The view of the harbor was great. The service at Bistro stunk to high heaven. We got to the restaurant and were waiting while the maitre'd was on the phone. Then we were told to sit and wait for another 10 minutes while she went downstairs with a tray. Three quarters of the restaurant was empty! Then she comes back and says, let me check on your table. I asked which of these 30 vacant ones? Food was OK. It took another 15 minutes for a waiter to come over with some OJ. I give a solid D- for the dining experience and a B+ for the whole hotel.

• Stayed April 2007