“Good hotel, Great location”

Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I was surprised at a Hyatt getting all the bad reviews this one has so I had my expectations low when we set out for Baltimore. We arrived in Baltimore and found the parking garage to self park. The garage is a fairly dangerous place to negotiate. There is a large fence in the middle of it and at one point there is only one lane for cars going in and going out. We got parked and headed into the hotel. Had a bit of a wait but I think it was from some people that were being difficult with the staff. Now we had a regency club room but the club room was not done being renovated so they offered to take the extra charge off the bill, upgrade us to a harbor view room or give us vouchers for drinks and appetizers in the lounge on the 3rd floor. We took the vouchers and they worked out well. The room we had over looked the pool and part of the harbor. It was fairly nice view. The room was spacious with a very comfy bed. The bathroom was just as nice with a great tiled shower. I can only think of two bad things about the room. They had a nice flat screen tv in the room but you could only get maybe five channels which seemed like a waste of a good tv not to mention little viewing options. The second negative comment was the noise in the hallway. I think the door actually amplified the noise in the hallway rather than block some of it out. Other than those two things the rooms were great. The elavators in the hotel seemed to be hit or miss. Sometimes we got right on, other times you had a good wait ahead of you. The best thing about this hotel is the location. Walk across the street and you on the Harbor. A few steps up the harbor and you are at the water taxi stop to Fell's Point which I think is ten times better than the Inner Harbor. All in all this hotel is worth the money just for the location.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timmy485
Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

Reviewed August 8, 2006

I don't where everyone else stayed but the place I stayed..the Hyatt in Baltimore..was really nice! No trouble or excessive wait for the elevator..We had a harbor view room that was beautiful..Awesome bathroom...REALLY cool workout room!

When we checked in ,there was no toilet paper in the bathroom..so we used tissues til the next day, when the maid came..To me ,anyway, no big deal

Self park was..well, self park. There was an elevator in the garage and not being big babies, we didn't mind schleping our stuff out there..It was actually pretty easy.

We ate the the fancy restaurant on the hotel..and it was lovely..Yeah, it was expensive but the view was worth it We EXPECTED it to be expensive. After all, you don't stay at a Hyatt and think you're going to have a budget meal!

NO noise..no construction stuff..but it was a weekend, so maybe the guys don't work on the weekends.
We had no complaints so I don't know about the service issues others seem to have had. While no one was extremely friendly, neither were they rude

We travel a great deal ,both budget and nicer hotels. I would definitely return to this hotel..

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dee2673
Reviewed July 27, 2006

We stayed here for 4 days. This place touts itself as a luxury hotel and while the bedding was nice (down comforters reminded me of home) and the bed was quite comfortable, luxury does not just mean nice products, bedding, and Flat screen tvs. This hotel could learn a thing or 2 about service...

Upon making a reservation, I specifically requested a non smoking room and when we checked in, confirmed that we would be getting a non smoking king room. However, their idea of non smoking room was a Febrezed to death smoking room. Then they put us in an actual non smoking room (but double) but the A/C didn't work . The third time was a charm and finally put us in a non smoking room that A/C and was a suite. Why do hotels insist on assigning guests who ask for non smoking rooms to smoking rooms?

Cons:
paper thin walls
extremely slow elevator
front desk slow to pick up phone

Pros:
really nice bathroom
the room was very clean
very comfortable bed
good location
food wasn't bad for a hotel (though the roomservice coffee was an utter joke)

I wouldn't recommend this for business travelers as it was very noisy and there were some service issues. But lots of families were there and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Note that the pool is tiny. But they do have tennis courts and a new gym.

Had we paid the standard rate I would have felt completely ripped off. But for what we paid, it was fine.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank bluevt
Reviewed July 13, 2006

First, I'll mention that this hotel is under a massive renovation project that seems to have upset a few people back in June. It is still under renovation in July, althouth many of the problems that were mentioned in June reviews have been addressed and/or fixed.

I had a King/Non-smoking room on the 12th floor (Regency Club Level, although the Regency Club Bar is under construction and not open). Unfortunatly I didn't have a harbor view, but the view of the downtown skyline was also nice. Customer Service was very good. I was not issued a parking pass when I arrived and had to go get one at the desk a day later, and the front desk was very appologetic for the oversight.

Room was great...very large, modern furniture and fixtures. I had a great King sized bed with tons of pillows, two small lounge chairs, a desk and a rolling desk chair. 37" Flat Screen HD TV was also nice and swiveled 360 degrees so I could see it great from the bed and from the desk. The bathroom was nicely appointed with chrome and glass fixtures and glass shower with granite countertops and good tile (no tub - this might concern some travelers with children or seniors). AC in the hallways and common areas of the hotel was very cool...nice to walk in from the summer heat and humidity and into cool, beautiful lobby.

Overall service was excellent, but with three dozen bars and restaraunts in walking distance, I never ate at the hotel. From glancing at the menu, prices at the casual dining restaraunt (bistro 300) are overpriced and the upscale, top floor restaraunt (Picese) was VERY overprices...but this is nothing unusual for a downtown, upscale hotel. Hey, the parking garadge has a sky-bridge walkway to Hooters on the Waterfront, why the heck are you eating at the hotel! Drinks at the Bistro 300 were high as well...16 bucks for a Sapphire and Tonic and glass of house red. Again, a dozen bars across the street at the harbor waterfront...go there and drink for half the price.

There was some construction going on in the parking garadge. Loud outside but not in the hotel itself. Did have some noise in the hallway penetrating my room from time to time, but the hotel cant be accountable for every 2:00 AM door slam.

Minor Issues:

1. 9.99/day wireless internet.
2. 18/day self parking...these things combined add almost 30 dollars to your daily bill.
3. Slow elevators. Expect up to a 5 minute wait in the AM if the hotel is full. Not as bad at night.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank metsisme
Reviewed July 10, 2006

A friendly staff gave me a warm welcome -- even though I'm a nobody. A skywalk fron the hotel leads directly to Harborplace. The hotel food was delicious, but so was the food across the street.I DID find the hotel food more creative. I didn't find the dinner prices much different in the sitdown seafood places on the water. The bed was a bit more firm than I like. And the elevators were slow. The shower is your own private water spa.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank ShowHorseFan
Reviewed June 16, 2006

We stayed five nights at the Hyatt while attending a conference. I'll start with the few positives: Our king room - 610 - overlooked the harbor, which was nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room decor pleasant. The location, connected to the convention center by an open air skywalk, was pretty good.

And now the negatives:

- Two days in a row I did not receive the wake-up calls I requested and so missed morning mtgs.
- After having left a $4 tip for housekeeping, we returned to find the bathroom wastebasket sitting in the middle of the foyer, and no coffee or cups - general cleaning was clearly hasty and careless
- We never knew what we would get in terms of towels - one day we had no washcloths, another day, no bathmat, and I had to call to get a room service breakfast menu for the door
- There were bloodstains on the sheets (like another reviewer, I say "weird!")
- The elevators were very slow and one of them was under repair our entire stay
- There was constant hammering and drilling going on
- One morning we received a letter under our door informing us that the water would be shut off from 12-5
- Bistro 300 was mediocre and overpriced. The Pisces brunch ($40 a head) was waaaaay overpriced.
- Air-conditioning in the entire hotel was barely working - very hot in the hallways especially

And, as another reviewer noted, when we checked out no one asked if we enjoyed our stay or if everything went well.

I don't know what's going on with the Hyatt chain, but we also had a bad stay at the upscale Hyatt in Toronto. Terrible service, indifference by management to numerous screw-ups.

I'd definitely choose another hotel if/when I return to Baltimore. Not worth $219 a night, and that was the "lower" conference rate. It's a shame - I remember when Hyatts were reliably excellent.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Okemosian
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Baltimore for one night on 6/03/06 and am happy it wasn't longer. We drove to town for the Yankees/Orioles game and booked the Hyatt for an overpriced nightly rate of $400 because when we made the reservation a month ago, the more popular hotels had no vacancies. With the understanding that the Hyatt was in the midst of its $16 million renovation, we were not expecting a great deal. We were told by the hotel reservationist that our harbor view room on the 7th floor was newly renovated, and the weekend construction should be minimal.
In a nut shell, with the exception of the Hyatt's being withing walking distance of the ball park and the lovely harbor view, our renovated room was a non-descript average sized rectangular box with paper thin walls and a front door that permitted every door slam, cough, and hall conversation to disturb us thoughout the night. At 12:15 AM, we were awakened by someone knocking at the room next door. It was Housekeeping trying unsuccessfully to deliver the roll away bed that we had requested at the front desk when we checked in at 3:00 PM! The new double beds were too small although comfortable and would have been a significant improvement to the room had they been queen sized. The flat screened TV was a nice touch, but the bathroom was disappointing with its small sink, unfashionable chrome fixtures, poor lighting, and a disgustingly filthy old bath tub that had hair in three places. The guest services checkout function on the TV didn't work, the two working elevators were small, had no air conditioning, and the only way we could catch one going down after a 10 minute wait was to get in one going up. Even with the renovations about to be completed, we would NOT return to the Hyatt in Baltimore.

5  Thank LittleDeuceCoupe