“Despite Renovations - Great Experience”

Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Arlington, Virginia
“Despite Renovations - Great Experience”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Hotel is doing renovations but you barely notice other than some areas blocked off. The rooms are clean and comfortable. A little on the small side but not much to complain about. The hotel staff is exceptional helpful. I was there for a business meeting and all those involved provide superior customer service. You cannot beat the location (Inner Harbor) with many restaurants near for any taste

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and please come back and see us again soon!

Thanks,

Danny
Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Korean first
Bunker Hill, West Virginia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. The front lobby is undergoing a renovation, but that had no impact on my stay or this review. Check in and out were quick and smooth. Parking is rather expensive at $28 per night, but that's the average price for downtown Baltimore/DC. The location is perfect, if you're interested in the Inner Harbor attractions. It's also close to the stadiums, so it would be a good choice if you're visiting for an O's or Ravens game.

Now for what I feel needs improvement to be considered a true 4 star hotel. The rooms are very basic! All you get is two double beds or one queen bed, a TV, a desk, 2 chairs, iron/ironing board, coffee maker, a safe, and a mini bar. I've stayed at the Days Inn Inner Harbor, a couple blocks away, and really couldn't distinguish between the 2.5 star Days Inn and the Hyatt. The bathroom is small with very little counter space. The shower curtian hook was broken and there wasn't any soap for the shower. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so it gets really steamed up after a shower. The hotel is a nice choice and the views are some of the best in Baltimore, but I just don't feel it deserves a 4 star rating. I was pleased with my stay, especially since I recieved the coporate/conference rate. If I would have paid the full price I would have probably been disappointed.

If you get a good rate, I recommend you give the Hyatt a try. But if you're expecting 4 star service and amenities, you may be a little disappointed. I would stay again, if the price is right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to choose this hotel. Like I said in the review title, it's an OK place, but it's nothing special. There are plenty of hotel choices nearby, the Hyatt doen't really stand out from any of them.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 8th floor with an even number. These rooms face the Inner Harbor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I attended a 3 day conference at the Inner Harbor Hyatt and the staff rallied through a snowstorm to provide everything in style for us. Nothing seemed to really go wrong through it all. Also the major rennovation going on on the first floor didn't impede anything of quality for us.
We were tended to, fed well at every break and meal, and enjoyed the time we were there.
The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable and the food was good.
I will say that the second floor dining room area was always chilly....there are so many windows!
Otherwise, all rooms felt warm and good, including my hotel room. The views were lovely of the harbor also.

Washington DC
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I had a free night to use up so I took my family to this hotel for an overnight stay after taking our son to the aquarium. Last year we did the same thing and overall had an excellent stay. This time around, it was the same. The hotel is going through a renovation so you have to walk around a bit more, but the quality of the hotel has not been compromised. Check-in was smooth and I asked for a quiet room and they put me at the top floor and it was very quiet. Room was clean and all the staff were friendly. We had breakfast at the lobby restaurant and it was excellent. The proximity to the aquarium and other inner harbor makes this hotel another huge plus. As long as they provide this sort of service, I will continue to bring my family here. I can't wait to see what the hotel will look like after the renovation. As a Platinum Hyatt member, I've stayed at many Hyatts and this is definitely a Hyatt standard hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
I am happy to see that you enjoy staying at our hotel. Thank you for posting that even through the renovation that you still had an excellent stay. The staff appreciates seeing that their efforts are praised. If hope you have the chance to stay with us again soon.

John S- Guest Relations Associate
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was under renovation in the lobby area when we stayed there but it had no impact on our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet, included with our room rate was excellent. $28 overnight parking was discounted to $1 when we checked out- quit the pleasant surprise. Location across from Inner Harbor excellent for the tourist traveller.

• Stayed January 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Overall this stay was great. Hotel is central to eateries, shopping and the aquarium. The room itself was nice and the staff were great in helping us decide on various venues. The on site restaurant Bistro 300 was delicious. We at there both mornings for breakfast. They offer buffet and made to order. Just because of preference i got made to order. My friend had the buffet one day and did say it was good. You can't go wrong staying here when visiting Baltimore MD.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank junbabe78
suburban Boston, MA
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The individual bedrooms are very comfortable, with plenty of light for whatever you want to do.
Beds are comfortable & hotel staff is very pleasant.

BUT...
(1) the 2nd floor atrium was so dark on 2 of the 3 nights I was there that I have felt more comfortable in dark alleys or 3rd world cities; at 7 in the morning the Perks coffee (& muffin) bar doesn't have enough light to read a newspaper. My room (14th floor) had a white noise machine so there was no street noise & the room darkening curtains were fine.
The plugs on the night table lamps didn't generate enough current to re-charge a cell phone, but there were plenty of outlets on the desk.

(2) neither the 2nd nor the 3rd floor public areas have enough light or comfortable seating where you might have a conversation with someone you don't want to invite up to your bedroom. This is particularly odd since this hotel is attached to the Baltimore Convention Center and must get lots of people who would like to be able to have a cup of coffee with a business or casual acquaintance. NO, I don't want to sit on a backless bench position against an outer wall in a room which is so dark I can't see the face of the person who is obliged to sit on the same bench 4" away from me.

(3) the free internet access is available only in these two dark public rooms.

As another reviewer notes, the hotel lobby is being renovated, but get a grip Hyatt & rent some lights and furniture (or this to be a permanent feature of the hotel- instead of the "Hyatt on the Inner Harbor" they could name it "the Hyatt in the Under World".)

(4) It is not clear to me what will happen to the 'temporary' entrance when the renovations are done. The main entrance-to-be is on the opposite side of the building from the temporary one. The temporary one faces the Baltimore Convention Center, as does the very convenient 2nd floor entrance which links to the skywalk. The 2nd floor entrance closes in the evening. If the temporary entrance closes, then people going to a convention will get to walk an extra block to the new front entrance.
Be fore-warned--- the Baltimore Convention Center is huge. If you go to meetings at the far end of it (as I did) & have a room at the Hyatt near the end of the hall (as I did) then your walk to your room in the Hyatt may be 1200 steps (about 1/2 mile each way). Less than amusing if you do it several times a day with a laptop. And it will be even worse if you can't get into the current temporary entrance in the evening.
If you have a convention in Baltimore, find out which end of the Baltimore Convention Center they will be using & choose a hotel accordingly.

(5) The 300 Bistro is pleasant and the food was good --- but don't expect much in the way of healthy choices either there or at the Perks coffee bar.