“Bland Stay at a Routine, Unexceptional Chain Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
New York, NY
“Bland Stay at a Routine, Unexceptional Chain Hotel”
Reviewed March 6, 2008

My stay at the Hyatt Regency in Baltimore was unexceptional, and--at times--mildly irritating. Service can elevate a mediocre hotel into a great one, but the Hyatt is a bit lax. When I called the concierge to request a cab, I was told to call one myself, because I was at a third-party location. ("Can't you call one on my behalf?" I asked.) When the maid re-stocked my bathroom supplies, she left four bottles of shower gel, but failed to replenish the body lotion I'd used the night before. There was no turn-down service without formally requesting it, and my toilet even malfunctioned (although it was promptly repaired). After a day of sightseeing, we went to the bar about 5pm one afternoon. No bartender was on a duty, and a hapless but well-intentioned bus boy attempted to make our drinks, but botched 'em. (Eventually, an apologetic bartender did show up.) When I was ready to check out, the highly touted "in room video checkout" malfunctioned, and when I tried to check out via the computer terminals in the lobby, they were out-of-order, too. Some of these complaints may seem minor, but you certainly wouldn't encounter them at a Four Seasons or a Rosewood property. Unfortunately, neither company has a hotel in Baltimore. By default, the Hyatt Regency is highly touted as one of the city's best hotels. Sigh. One can only hope that the Ritz Carlton currently under construction will be able to bring genuine, four or five star service to the city.

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Porpex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed February 16, 2008

We booked a two night stay here for New Year's Eve. The room was very good, clean and comfortable, if a bit expensive.

Breakfast was included but we were treated as second class citizens by the restaurant staff, guests who were not on a package received far better tables and service.

The hotel has a wonderful view of the fireworks but we could have gone out with the 'crowds' as there seemed to be plenty of space and no trouble. The fireworks lasted for almost 20 minutes and were amazing.

There was a private function in the roof top restaurant and several guests had left their children in the rooms all around us/ The children spent the entire evening running between rooms banging doors every FEW minutes. By 1 am it was more than a bit annoying but this was nothing to do with the hotel and probably to be expected on New Year's Eve.

Spent New Year's Day in the aquarium, well worth a visit.

Would love to go to Baltimore again but I don't know if I would pay the extra amount to stay at the Hyatt Regency.

Stayed December 2007
Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Very nice hotel. Lobby is beautiful and everyone is extremely nice. Stayed in a room with 2 queens, and the beds were extremely comfortable. Rooms were "roomy" with a great TV. As others have said, could hear the doors slamming at all times, but the comfort more than made up for that.

As for the location, couldn't ask for much more. Walk out the back exit on the 2nd floor and that puts you on a walkway right to the inner harbor (maybe a 3 minute walk) where there are plenty of things to do (shops, food, aquarium etc.). Go out that same exit and head the other way to Camden Yards (10-15 minute walk). We didn't even have to move our car which was great.

Major downfall: parking. Forget how much, think it was $25, but when you are paying that much to stay a night, you would think they'd let you park for free or at least very discounted.

Something else to see: If you like history, Fort McHenry is probably about 2 miles away. We walked it not knowing how far it was, but it really wasn't that bad.

I would definately recommend to stay here. I plan on going back this summer and staying here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking fee
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Pens4821
New Jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2008

The mothballs are off the redone Hyatt at Baltimore's Inner Harbor and I, for one, am glad. My wife, my 13 yr. old and I visited on Christmas day for 2 nights and I was concerned about negative reviews. I had booked a travelzoo rate(about $50 less than the website's posted Christmas week rates, which are low for this location to begin with. The hotel had light traffic our two nights and this probably helped us from experiencing some of the negatives in other reviews. The entry lobby is a bit dissapointing and they need to add a restroom at this level. But doormen were friendly and check in was a breeze. The T-Zoo rate did not specify a view room from a non-view room, which was $40 additional on the websites non Tzoo rate. So, I was going to ask for a view room and was pleasantly surprised when this was offered up front. Our 10th floor room was off a very pleasant lobby done in tan shades. It is the same cookie cutter size of most big box hotels(i.e.-on the small side) but was opened up nicely by wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows, a setee that runs wall to wall by the window to allow sitting and observing the spectactular view of the harbor, and a large handsome mirror that dominates the center of the room. A full closet with regular hangers and a safe, a 32" flat screen TV and an I-POD station were nice extras. There is an honor bar w/o key that we stayed away from. Two double size beds were terrifically supportive(ie-firm)with a nice pillowtop to give it a cushy feeling. The room was done in shades of off-white with touches of gold, and color supplied by 3 modern prints on the wall. A modern, clean look! The bathroom is on the small side, but contains a freestanding counter with towels on bottom shelves, again emphasizing modernity. Fixtures are nice but not grand, and I did not care for the low toilet seat. Color came from inlaid small tile octangles above counter and in shower. Portico toiletries thrilled me, not my wife or son.

Two of the four glass enclosed elevators were up and running. Since they rise thru a 3 story atrium(set above entry floor) to outside the hotel with views towards the harbor, and they are beautifully lit a night, they are part of the fun. The atrium restaurant was nicely turned out-the breakfast buffet good but not spectactular. They are still re-doing restrooms on the 1st floor of the atrium(2 cnd fl) where there is a business center, gift shop and coffee bar.

What really surprised us was the friendliness of the staff thru-out the hotel and the prompt service we got when we had special requests. In recent years, I have not experienced such a personable staff at other Hyatts.

Parking is 27 for self park, 35 for valet but you must pay for parking in the inner harbor so this is not outrageous.

• Liked — Friendly staff, great views, nice renovation
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank goroving
Columbia, MD
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Stayed for new years eve and had a nice view of the fireworks. Cudos to Baltimore on that show. My wife and I were wanting a safe vantage point of the show away from the drunk drivers and it seemed we would have been better off out with the crowds, because we think all the drunks were in the hotel! Very thin walls which made hearing vomiting from the neighbors above us easy. Not to mention all the hallway noises. Given, it was New Years, but give me a break, it was as they were in the same room!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — thin walls which led to noisy rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 30, 2007

As a getaway after Christmas for a day and a smal adventure, my wife and I chose Baltimore. Baltimore is a fun American city that doesn't seem to get the PR it deserves. (As opposed to Washington, DC which dominates the area.) The Hyatt was very conveniently located on the Inner Harbor, near the "Little Italy" area and all the shops. The Science center, National Aquarium , a submarine,and the USS Constitution are right outside our door. So much to do. Just down the road, see Fort McHenry where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangle Banner. It was the day before a Ravens games so apparently we had the football team and staff overnight there as well. Lots of oposing team fans too. Nonetheless, there was no noise or other distractions from what must be a "big deal" for kids. The hotel is being refurbished a bit so parts are blocked off but that didn't impact us. The hotel's scale doesn't measure up to a Grand Hyatt but we knew that when we planned our trip so we were not disappointed. Customer Service staff was excellent! Amazing might be a better work. Estella and Joe took such good care of us that my wife wants to go back just to chat with them...so helpful and knowledgeable. We went out to dinner at Da Mimmo and the staff arranged a limo to pick up up at the hotel. Room clean and well configured. Everything worked.

• Liked — Guest Services
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I usually have good luck at Hyatt Regency properties BUT I am avoiding this property for the time being.

I had booked a room with a harbor view on th Regency Club level, upon arriving at the hotel at 4:15 PM, I was told my room wasn't ready (From the looks of the unhappy faces in the lobby I wasn't the only one) I was offered a free drink at the lounge but instead asked for a key to the regency club to check email on their computer, I was granted.

The Computer in the Regency club was a crawl, A message kept coming up saying" Internet Cache was Full" but clearing cache was disabled and the computer tech was not working that day.

Went back downstairs at 5 Pm, My room was not ready yet, after flying all day I was itching to get in a room, they did have a King non smoking available but it had no view, I took it (She did then adjust my rate slightly).

The Doors on the rooms provide little soundproofing, All you can hear is slamming doors from late at night to early in the morning, bring your ear plugs. The Elevators are being "Updated" so at checkout it can prove to be quite a wait if u r on a higher floor as lower floor guest went up just to get down, elevator repairs not to be complete until March 2008 according to sign in lobby. My biggest problem is how easily noise gets into the room from the hallways, I stay in hotels every week and this property is loud! Finally to end my trip a maid used her key to open the door and enter the room at 10:15 am as the Privacy sign had fallen to the ground, No Knock!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business