“Great location!”

Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor
Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I visited the inner harbor with my husband and two daughters (turning 8 and 5) for the first time in July and stayed for two nights at the Holiday Inn. I investigated several inner harbor properties and chose the Holiday Inn based on cost.

The Holiday Inn is located a little less than a mile from shops, restaurants and attractions of the inner harbor and was an easy walk for our whole family. It's right around the corner from the Orioles ballpark. It was nice parking once and walking everywhere. I felt completely safe and comfortable walking along Pratt Street to visit the various attractions.

One note about parking is that Holiday Inn parking is located directly next door to the property -- a garage and outdoor lot. It's public parking and we didn't see any signs indicating that it's where Holiday Inn guests should park. We parked in the outdoor lot and had our pass validated, which would enable us to come and go the length of our stay. Parking is $23/day.

The hotel itself is fine. I believe we stayed in the older section as the hallway seemed a bit outdated, but the room itself was updated and very much in line with other HI properties -- separate vanity/sink from the shower/toilet; desk; mini fridge; flat screen TV; two beds with choice of soft or firm pillows; accent chair; etc.

Our view faced the fire station and you could definitely hear the sirens blaring at all hours of the day and night. The air conditioner runs a constant "white noise," so the sirens didn't bother me, but they did affect my husband.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner one night (they open at 5 PM). Nicely decorated, simple menu, very good food. They were out of fries the day we ate, which I thought was odd, but their homemade chips are delicious. We did not swim in the pool, but it looked nice. Front desk staff was courteous and quite busy when we arrived.

We would definitely stay at the Holiday Inn again and loved Baltimore's inner harbor overall. Note: On our way back from the ballpark, we saw the Marriott and Hilton, which are right around the corner from the Holiday Inn. They looked very nice as well.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Your comments are most appreciated, and will go far to energize our staff. We will continue to work hard to improve our hotel and have additional renovations planned for this coming winter.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The room was standard Holiday Inn comfort though the layout was unusual, with the sink outside the bathroom and separated by a partial wall from the bedroom. The sound isolation was inexistant and I could clearly hear the TVs and conversations going on in the guestrooms on each side of mine. Conveniently located near a Light Rail station, the Convention center and Camden Yards.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

We appreciate your review of the property, however, I'm saddened that you had to experience the discomfort of the sound intrusion. We will most certainly look into the matter, and check to see what can be done to remedy the situation in the room you were in and any potential other rooms that may be affected.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Where do I start. The first room I was assigned smelled horrible. I don't kow what was worse, the stench of smoke, or the attempt to cover it up. The second room didn't have the odor problem, however the noise from the fire dept across the street made it impossible to sleep -not to mention the electric rail cars going by every 10 minutes or so. Mike the bartender, who professes to be a rock star, is a great guy, but he highly recommended that I should make my drink a double, but didn't mention that the price to do so was $20 per drink! I don't like those kind of surprises... The wireless internet quit working, so I called the listed support number, which was disconnected, when I called the front desk they told me there is nothing they can do and I should call the mgr in the morning. When you add all of that to the fact that this hotel is really what I would describe as a dump (yes, it has been refreshed, but in the sense that you can dress a pig with lipstick), I would strongly suggest anyone considering on staying here to rethink that, and stay away from this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Scott H

Thanks for your feedback. We're very sorry we gave you such a poor perception of our hotel.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Our family of three stayed at this Holiday Inn for five night and without question, was the worst hotel experience we have ever had (we take several trips per year, different locations). We stayed on the 11th floor; I'm unsure whether our terrible overall experience had anything to do with the particular floor we were assigned to or not (our room was #1121). There were so many facets about this place that were either awful and/or just plain unacceptable that it's hard to know where to start. The list, beginning with the floor/room: absolutely no air conditioning in the hallways; two of the four elevators had shaky-scary movements (we noticed an elevator repair van in the parking lot twice, but never saw anyone repairing the elevators nor noticed any improvement in them); very dirty carpet in the room (feet and socks were dirtied from walking on it, so we were sure to wear shoes in the room); equally dirty marble tiles in the incredibly tiny bathroom (so dirty that when wiped with a wet paper towel, the towel came away black!); a shower curtain that was not water repellant or even water resistant; very dirty and dusty around the bases of the beds and behind the headboards; curtains at the window were also very dusty with hair stuck onto the fabric; fluorescent bulbs in all of the lighting fixtures (I'm all for being green, but these were not good quality fluorescent bulbs and the visibilty with all fixtures glowing a low, yellowish-green was headache-inducing; the white bedcovers were clearly dirty (smudged and dusty); our air conditioning unit did not cool well part of the time (this could have been due to the heat outside and our high-elevation room location) and there was dried food on the back of the desk chair. Although we were very unhappy with the accommodations, we knew - from trying to book a room elsewhere - that other area hotels were full, and we as we found out most of the problems only after bringing all of our items up to the room and beginning to settle in - and our trip plans involved not being at the hotel for very long each day - we decided to try to make the best of things, however, it was a very bothersome situation. The hotel restaurant - Eden West - should be avoided at all costs. We ate their twice. The first time, we were there for dinner and there were very few other diners in the restaurant (which, like the rooms, had fluoresent bulbs in the fixtures - these had more of a greenish tinge - making the restaurant atmosphere too dim and creepy). We placed our order and waited a half-hour for it to arrive. In the meantime, we asked for bread, and were brought clearly burned rolls. When we inquired about those, our waitress said that they were "supposed to be that way" and asked us to try them. We tried them, and, yes, they were definitely burned rolls. We asked for unburned rolls, and she unexplicably brought us spicy pepperoni-infused bread that was also inedible. The food was unexceptional when it arrived, but by then we were ravenous. The second trip there was, unfortunately due to time constraints, and we hoped for a better experience (alas, it was worse). This time, our food arrived in a more timely manner, but the chicken tenders-type of meal that our son had enjoyed for the most part the first time around (and had ordered this second visit) featured "chicken tenders" that looked unlike anything we had ever seen with that name. The "tenders" were long, wavy, stringy things that had more batter than chicken. When we inquired of the waitress why there was a difference over two days before, she said that the restaurant had "changed its menu" (the menu itself, though, was identical to our previous visit). Our son tried a piece of this new type of tender, but couldn not eat it; eating only the fries served with it. My salad, edible on the previous visit was deemed not so on this second visit due to the presence of a hair in it, which I discovered in mid-chew. The management did not charge us for this meal. There is a very small cafe/convenience store in the lobby of the hotel, which we viewed as helpful - and it was, except for when it was inexplicably closed at times, not following the hours posted. The pool at the hotel was fun for our son, however the cloudiness of the water bothered my husband and I. There was a lifeguard on duty, though, which was a plus to us, as well as towels provided in the pool area for those visiting. I will say that our housekeeper was very nice, despite the fact that the room's cleanliness was not acceptable, and we always had adequate towels and soaps (however, not toilet tissue). I am unsure if the major cleaning - behind and under furniture, the tall curtains and the bathroom floors - is left up to other staff, with daily cleaning undertaken by a different team. We will not stay at this hotel again and definitely cannot recommend it nor the restaurant there.

Room Tip: This hotel has two buildings with a covered walkway between the two. At least the building we were...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Emue W
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

It's been awhile since I've seen a review as poor as this. I'd like to apologize to you for such a memorably horrible stay. It appears nothing we did was in the least way able to strike a positive note with you. We all take your comments to heart here at our hotel, and I assure you every possible action will be taken to insure this type of stay won't occur again if we can prevent it.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I traveled several hours with my colleagues to attend a seminar in Baltimore. When we arrived at the hotel, we learned that our secretary hadn't made the reservations we all thought she had. The desk manager quickly, graciously and generously gave us the convention rate and also arranged that our rooms were near one another. Very easy walk to the convention center. I enjoyed being able to safely stroll between the hotel and the harbor, but didn't feel real comfortable in the blocks north of the hotel as evening advanced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

We will certainly share your positive comments with our staff. Thanks for taking the time to write a review for our hotel.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed with my family for the weekend. We made a reservation about five months in advance of our stay for five people. When we arrived at the hotel, they could not put us in a room that slept five people. We were told they had no rollaway beds available. My youngest son was forced to sleep in what amounted to a large chair. In addition, the fire alarm was beeping and the TV was not working. The straw that finally broke the back here was when a mouse was running around in the room. The manager absolutely did not care and did nothing to help. We had received a decent rate of $150 per night and when I called to ask how we could resolve the myriad of issues, I was told by the manager that "there are people staying here for $285 per night." Well, to those people, I feel sorry for you. You got ripped off.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Anthony S
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

We're sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. We will review our practices with our pest elimination company immediately. I'm sorry we could not accommodate your request for a rollaway bed. Perhaps we need to purchase more so we have more available in the event a guest may request one.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We came to Baltimore for the weekend and stayed here on Friday and Saturday night. We had the King Bedroom and the room was very spacious. There was a king bed, 2 chairs, and a love seat. There was also a flat screen t.v., desk and some closet space. The shower and toilet were separate from the sink area. Everything about the room was very good, the only issue I had was that our room was literally right next to the elevators and we heard a lot of foot traffic coming and going from the elevator.
The location of the hotel was spectacular, we were within walking distance to Camden Yards(2 blocks), Inner Harbor(4 blocks), and the Charm City Commuter orange route, which is free, stopped right outside the hotel and took you to Fell's Point.
We ate the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning. I'm glad we went around 10:30 because the placed looked like it was mobbed earlier. Lots of tables were still covered with dirty dishes and some of the buffet items were empty. We had to stay a bit longer to wait for the staff to get caught up. The food was alright, typical breakfast buffet food, nothing to right home about but it filled me up.
Overall I definitely enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn and would recommend it to anyone that asks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
pkomar, General Manager at Holiday Inn Baltimore-Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I appreciate your kind words, and we will take into account the concerns you shared to continuously improve our hotel.