“Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
South Jersey
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent a Friday night recently at the Sonesta Harbor Court Hotel in Baltimore. The hotel's location on the west side of the Inner Harbor is a major benefit as it is a less crowded and congested area only a few minutes walk to all of the top attractions. The hotel in general is beautiful, very clean and well appointed. Our king harborview room was large and very nicely decorated..the bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with advice, suggestions and directions.. The only feature I wish that could be addressed were the hours the pool and hot tub were available. The hotel closes this operation at 8pm even on weekends which is a bit early. After a day of walking throughout the Inner Harbor and adjacent areas of Fels Point and Little Italy a hot tub soaking would have been nice.
We additionally availed of the breakfast buffet which though a little on the expensive side at $20 was very good.. Overall I highly recommend the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court in Baltimore.

Room Tip: Get a Harbor View room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricardomnt
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear ricardomnt,
Thanks so much for taking timne to submit your 5-star review! Our location is definitely an asset as many of our guests prefer the more relaxed west side of the Inner Harbor with the ease of walking to area attractions, Federal Hill and Charles Street restaurants, plus, we are just a couple blocks from Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The pool hours are based on demand, but we will pass along your comments to see if extending hours during the summer would make sense. Thanks again for your 5-star review and please consider staying with us again on your next visit to Baltimore.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
Hagerstown, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for one night on Sat 4/20/13. I had gotten confirmation emails from them that check in was at 3pm. When we arrived at 4:20pm, I was told that our room was not ready and check in was 4pm (as if it was only 20 minutes after check in). I offered to show the person who helped me the email that said check in was at 3pm and he said "we recently changed the check in time". He offered me nothing except to take my phone number down to call me when my room was ready. We sat in the lobby for about 30 minutes watching others check in and when it got closer to 5pm, I asked about our room. The same person offered to give me a different room (not as nice as the one I booked) that was ready. I reluctantly took it because we had an obligation to attend. The room was right beside the elevator so we heard the elevator go up and down the entire night and got no sleep. Instead of the nice courtyard view I was promised, I got a nice view of a brick wall. The guy at the front desk was snobby and not contrite; acting as if I should expect this on a Saturday when there was an O's game scheduled. I was looking forward to staying at this highly rated hotel and I will never return nor recommend to others.

Room Tip: "Do not stay in a room next to an elevator"
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Gina H,
Your experience is certainly not acceptable and is unfortunate. Our hotel is indeed known for exceptional customer service as witnessed by the dozens of favorable reviews here; however, this does not make your experience any better. We hope you will offer us a second opportunity to provide the great guest experience this hotel has built its reputation upon.
raleigh, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Got a Groupon to the Royal Sonesta, which worked out great since we were headed up there for a couple of Orioles games.

Even without a Groupon, I would go back to this hotel.

What I liked about this hotel:

GREAT customer service. Everyone who I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. I must say that the valet and doormen were the best. Not just when they were helping you with your car, or luggage, but when you were leaving or struck up a conversation with them. One rainy afternoon we were walking out and one of the gentlemen asked if we needed an umbrella. We didn't as we had our own, but it was nice to offer.

CLEAN: Our room and bathroom was spotless. No complaints here!

POOL: We loved the indoor pool. I also liked the fact that there was a lifeguard on site who was also checking the chlorine/cleanliness of the pool and hot tub. There are towels for use in the pool area. The hot tub was clean and spacious. There is also a mobility chair in the hot tub and pool for people with disabilities.

LOCATION: Great location. We parked on car on Thursday night and did not use it again until Sunday. We walked to Camden Yards and felt very safe walking there and back in the evenings. The hotel is right across from the Inner Harbor. We walked to the aquarium, Fells Point and Little Italy. Fells Point and Little Italy are further away, but if you are walking at a leisurely pace, it isn't bad. Our 7 and 9 year olds walked the whole way with little whining, so not too bad of a walk.

We did have a drink from the bar-nice decor and average drink selection. I would have liked to have seen a specialty cocktail menu.

We did eat breakfast one morning. We got the buffet. A little on the pricey side. Would not eat there again as there are other places to go closeby. There is a Panera and Dunkin Donuts a couple of blocks away. We walked to a place called Miss Shirleys one morning for breakfast. Wasn't a cheap breakfast either but it is waaayyy better than the hotel breakfast.

My only complaint is that I wish the beds were bigger. Sharing a double sized bed is no fun.

All in all, a great stay. We are planning another Orioles trip this summer, and I'm hoping to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ncdeb73
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hello ncdeb73,
Thanks so much for your thorough 5-star review! That's great you took advantage of the Groupon offer and enjoyed your first visit to our Inner Harbor hotel. Sonesta will celebrate its first year in Baltimore on June 1, so we appreciate your positiive comments and will share them with the team. All of our associates take great pride in providing stellar customer service and feel it is indeed the best in the city. We hope you can indeed make that trip back here this summer - we look forward to seeing you again then. Thanks again for taking time to submit your great 5-star review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was by far the best stay I have ever experienced at any hotel. The customer service was beyond phenomenal. The staff really went above and beyond to please us. Not only were they very helpful with deciding where to dine; they also chartered a shuttle for us to go. In addition, the lotion that they provide is great! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank CD0411
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear CD0411,
"Best hotel ever" is quite a lot to live up to, but in this business, if you do not strive to be the best, then you should be doing something else, right? We are humbled by your 5-star review and appreciate the accolade and your taking time to submit it. Our goal is to make every guest experience as outstanding as yours and given we have only been in Baltimore about one year, we ask that you spread the word to your friends about our AAA Four-Diamond property. We try to prove every day that you don't have to be a global name and charge huge rates to be considered a great hotel. Thanks for recognizing our value and 5-star qualities. We hope to see you again soon.
Lititz, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Very conveniently located with lovely amenities(although the fitness center seemed to be closed at 5:00 when we went to see it). The beds were so comfortable, with very nice linens.TV is large but in a somewhat awkward position in the main bedroom. Bathroom- very palatial with granite all over. Did like the shampoo/shower gel in the dispensers on the wall. Harbor view was perfect- sorry I got so caught up that I forgot to take a picture. Staff pleasant and helpful.

Dear Wendy H,
Thanks so much for your 5-star review. Our Fitness Center is open 24 hours a day, so it never closes. Only the pool area has certain hours during the day and early evening before closing. The Fitness Center is accessed with your guest keycard 24 hours a day, so please be sure to check it out the next timew you are here. Thanks again for your great comments and 5-star review and we hope to see you again when you visit Baltimore.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was in town for a 2 day meeting. Company booked this hotel which I had not been to before. From arrival to departure, every hotel employee I encountered was exceptionally polite and professional. I did not utilize all the amenities but my room was clean and VERY quiet! The two things that would have garnered them an excellent rating were not enough plugs in the room and also no refrigerator. The site is central to everything you could want to do and those that aren't are just a short cab ride away. A shout out to the "doormen" who excelled in customer service appearing to actually like their jobs!

Room Tip: Keep to the upper floors to mute some of the siren noise from the city
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear thetinman1,
Thanks for your review. We are pleased you had such a nice stay with us. As for the plugs and refrigerator, these items are being considered as part of our plan for a complete renovation later this year. Sonesta has been in Baltimore less than one year, so we have a committment to the city and to our guests to provide the best hotel experience. Improving our rooms and other areas is part of that committment. Please keep that in mind if your travels bring you back to Baltimore as we proceed into 2014. Thanks again for your review.
Laurel, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I purchased a deal on Groupon for a one night stay at the Royal Sonesta. We had a babysitter so we took advantage of the deal from 4/26 to 4/27. Overall, it was an okay stay but nothing outstanding. We arrived around 8pm on Friday night to check in. We did valet parking since our plan was to enjoy the harbour area. We entered the lobby and the 4 staff members were engaged in a lively conversation so it took a few minutes before we were acknowledged. As we stood there with out overnight bag, John asked "are you checking in." Well, I thought that was pretty obvious. My husband gave our name, which has an unusual pronunciation. John looked up our reservation and then proceeded to mispronounce our last name - as if we had gotten it wrong. My husband asked if there were any harbor views available and his quick response was "no." He didn't check. He didn't say they were booked - just no. The lady at the front desk came over and interjected that they did have a room available with double beds and a harbor view. We declined as we preferred the king bed in our City View (view of the apartments behind the hotel). We appreciated her offering the room and would suggest John have slightly better manners and customer service skills. He did not create a positive first impression.

The room was nice. Other reviewers stated the furniture was dated. While I agree, I actually liked the furnishings as they gave an old world feel to the property. The room and bathroom were both very spacious. The bed is very soft but comfortable. Our only complaint, is that the bed in our room (607) would sink in the middle so my husband and I had to stay on our separate ends to prevent "falling" into the middle.

The staff on Saturday morning was quite pleasant. I enjoyed my latte from the coffee shop, which uses Illy brand coffee (one of my favorites).

Don, from valet, was quite friendly. We wanted to eat brunch at the harbor before heading home so Don stored our luggage so we didn't have to take our car out of valet. We even found that he was an alumni of our college as he engaged us in light chatter when we returned for our car.

Overall, I would say our stay was average based on the value. I'm not sure we would return at regular price.

Hello DMS1908,
Thanks for your review. We will certainly look into the bed situation in 607, so we appreciate your passing it along. Given you peruse previous reviews, you will see that Jonathan is noted (reviews and in the hospitality community) as one of the most knowledgable and personable front desk/concierge staffers in the entire city, so your report, while regrettable, is an anomoly and I am sure you would have a different experience, if you encountered him again. We appreciate your review.