“Spectacular Service”

Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Denver
“Spectacular Service”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I certainly lucked out when picking a hotel for our Baltimore trip. I have never been to Baltimore and didn’t really know where the best area was for tourists. I read about the Inner Harbor in the forums and decided to research from there.

I loved that the hotel is across the street from the Inner Harbor. It was nice to be able to walk back to the hotel when we needed to rest. The other plus was taking the water taxies to other areas of the harbor. We had a rental car and only took it out of valet 3 times the entire 3 days.

The staff has raised the bar to a level I fear no other hotel will live up to. One phrase that I hate in this world is “it’s not my job”, apparently so does the hotel. No matter where I was in the hotel, if I had a confused look on my face, someone would ask me if I needed help no matter what they were doing. After a long afternoon at the harbor we went back to rest and the valet line was running out into the street. I was very pleased to walk up and see 2 gentlemen (who looked like managers) in suits helping the valet rather than sitting in their offices. Everyone always had a smile and was polite.

One night I wanted room service and couldn’t find the full menu, just the breakfast hanger. I called room service and told them what I wanted, despite not having a menu, and a few minutes later, exactly what I was craving, arrived at my door.

The beds were a bit firm for my taste, but the linens were extremely clean, and the furniture was blemish free.

I highly recommend Royal Sonesta if you’re staying at the Inner Harbor!

Room Tip: We had a small angled view of the harbor, but it was still beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear PreciousMissy,
Thanks so much for your great 5-star review. There are many choices for lodging in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, so thank you for choosing the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court. Our hotel tagline is: Timeless Elegance. Service Excellence. For us, those are not just words, but precise phrases that our staff takes pride in personifying every day. A hotel is only as good as the people who arrive to serve every day and we are proud to have the finest hospitality professionals in all of Baltimore. Plus, Sonesta is relatively new to the city, so it is important for us to make a great first impression to our guests, especially first-time visitors like you. Once again, thanks for your awesome 5-star review and please consider us again when your travels return you to Charm City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Arabic first
Milford
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I went to Baltimore a week ago for my birthday and to see the Orioles opening games. I found the deal for this hotel on Groupon and for what I paid and for what I found out the same rooms were going for those days, I got a great deal.
The staff was friendly and the hotel seemed clean. The decor is very very old fashioned which is not to my particular taste but that is their theme. The room and the bathroom were both spacious and we didn't have any problems with anything in it. Other than free parking I didn't notice any other real amenities they offer like complementary breakfast for example.
The location was perfect for us because it was right on the harbor. Two blocks to the stadium, just about a ten minute walk to where we went out one night. Only time we got a ride was going to dinner a few miles away. The bell hop caught us walking from the elevator to the door and offered us his services to get us a cab. It ended up being a nice town car and he evened called the restaurant and told them we were coming over and to give us a free appetizer!
Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: Choose one with a harbor view if you care about the view. For me I'm really only in the room to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear wareagle_13,
Thanks so much for your great review. The Groupon deal was definitely an exceptional value, so we appreciate your taking advantage of it. Our hotel is a favorite among baseball fans as we have the rare combination of an Inner Harbor location with a great view, and just a couple blocks from Camden Yards. As for the decor, not our choice, but it will be changing for the better - and soon! As you may know, Sonesta arrived at this property just a few months ago, so we "inherited" the hotel and decor. However, we have big plans for significant improvements ahead, among them the decor. We are extremely excited about the changes to come and know our guests will be pleased as well. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again when you come back to see the Orioles play again.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were in Baltimore for only one night, and boy was Royal Sonesta a great choice! The hotel viw is amazing, the rooms are large and well-decorated. The staf was all quite freindly, and despite the size of the hotel, we felt like we were in a smaller boutique hotel because of the staff's attention to detail. Our stay was during spring break so the Baltimore Harbor was teaming with folks, and i'm pretty sure Royal Sonesta was fully booked. Our room was not ready when we arrived. Jonathan at the front desk quickly became our best friend. He was very accomodating, and wisked us away for complementary drinks in the lounge while we waited. His customer service was exceptional. SO much so that we did not even bat an eye that our room wasn't ready. Any other time, we would have been not-so-happy. We ended up with an upgraded room (GREAT view of the harbor!), and a great chance to unwind before check-in.
The hotel itself is really very nice. Parking is a bit pricey, so be prepared. But once you park, you can easily walk to the Harbor. We had dinner at nearby Langermanns and it was delish. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Not all rooms are harbor view-- be sure to select a harbor view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear fh915,
Thanks so much for your 5-star review! Also, thanks for choosing our hotel for your Inner Harbor getaway. Jonathan is a tremendous asset for the hotel and his knowledge of the area attractions, restaurants and other points of interest is exceptional. Parking is a premium in downtown Baltimore is a premium and while not one hotel in this area offers free parking, our rates are better than most. Our parking garage is owned and operated by and outside company, and we have negotiated better rates for our guests. Please keep that in mind when you return as rates will be much higher at most places in the Inner Harbor area. Overall, thanks for the great 5-star review and we hope to see you again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a Jr Suite which is an AMAZING room!! It was as big as my old apartment!! The view was awesome and the room super clean! I have never seen a bigger bathtub or bathroom for that matter. Dual sinks and a nice shower, as well. All very clean. The amenities were outstanding and although the decor is older it is well taken care of. Even a comfy bed! Only one small downfall for us was that the hair dryer was on the fritz and although we called and were told a new one would be sent up, it never arrived. The front desk called to see if we had gotten it, but no hair dryer ever showed up!! NOT a good enough reason not to recommend, though, as the experience overall was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear bodhi0916,
Thanks so much for your great review. Our rooms are very spacious and glad you enjoyed the upgrade to the junior suite. Thanks for sharing a photo as well - it looks like your view of the Inner Harbor was spectacular!
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Baltimore for a weekend getaway. We both enjoyed our stay at the Royal Sonesta, formerly known as InterContinental. We attended an Orioles game and loved its close proximity to Camden Yards, other attractions in the inner harbor, and the Federal Hill neighborhood (great ethnic restaurants). So many things to do are within walking distance and others main attractions are a short cab ride away.

The ambiance of the Sonesta has a regal and classic feel to it. My room at the Sonesta was very spacious. I found the king bed to be very comfortable and the in-room amenities were sufficient. The hotel staff was very attentive and helpful. Their fitness center had very up-to-date equipment and was easy to use without assistance. Guests have 24 hour access to the fitness center with their room key and the pool and Jacuzzi is opened from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

During our stay my husband and I had breakfast in the hotel. On the weekends they offer a nice breakfast buffet. We don't eat pork and the kitchen was able to substitute turkey bacon and sausage at no extra cost, a nice plus for us!

I do recommend staying at the Royal Sonesta for anyone considering travel to the Inner Harbor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Aaliyah M,
Thanks so much for your detaled review. We always strive to meet and exceed every guest's expectations, especially if someone has special requests, or needs. Sounds like you had an amazing stay with us and we hope you think of us again when your travels bring you back to Baltimore.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Great long weekend at Royal Sonesta! The location was perfect...across from Inner Harbor and a few blocks walk to Camden Yard. Caught a Sunday Orioles game, which was fun. Harbor view room was really nice & the kids could catch the sunrise over harbor from room, beautiful! Compliments to all the staff, especially Jennifer at front desk.

• Stayed April 2013
Hello Mtpd,
Thanks for your great review! Sounds like you had a great stay. Wish the Orioles could have won for you on that Sunday, but I remember the weather that day was absolutely perfect, so I am sure your family enjoyed the ballpark and game. Please keep us in mind when you return to Baltimore and thanks again for taking time out to compose the nice review. FYI...the Maryland Science Center across the street from the hotel is a great experience - you should check it out with your family the next time you are here.
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend at this hotel when I attended a conference at a different hotel. I must say - it was the best experience in the Baltimore/DC Area!! Nestled just a few blocks from the hustle and bustle of the Inner Harbor, the view is simply incredible! The sun sets across the harbor and the skies are a beautiful rainbow of colors! The hotel itself is clean, beautifully decorated and the entire team from the bell hops, front desk, concierge, and maids are courteous and definitely enjoy their job. The Illy Cafe is great for a morning coffee and pastry or a cappuccino in the late afternoon! I would recommend and stay at this hotel again and again!

Close enough to walk to Camden Yards or Ravens Stadium for a game! Great Inner Harbor nightlife awaits from smal venues to The Powereplant!

Our secret find - Blue Agave restaurant a few blocks away on Federal Hill. Great margaritas and tacos at happy hour!

Room Tip: Make sure you are facing the harbor to people watch AND enjoy a gorgeous sunset!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dawn P
David_Kohlasch, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Dawn P,
Thanks so much for your great 5-star review! We couldn't agree more with your comments and we are most appreciative you took time to compose them. As for Blue Agave - GREAT find! In fact, our staff frequents them for lunch quite often. we agree with your assessment of that establishment as well sans the lunch margaritas given we are on the clock. However, after dinner, we enjoy their happy hour until 7pm on occasion, including margaritas. If you get a chance, check out our Honey Wings at Explorers, made from honey we harvest on property from our own apiary!