“Very costly but great place to stay”

Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
North Carolina
“Very costly but great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed at the Royal Sonesta (harbor Court International previously named) at least 10 times. This was our first under new management. We did not see any changes to the hotel that were really noticeable. We were told that a plan is in the works to revamp the rooms etc.What makes this such a great place is the location which is the best right in front of the inner harbor and is located only blocks from the football and baseball stadiums. We could walk every where from this hotel. No cab or car necessary so to me it is worth the high price for a room. This will always be the place I will pick to stay as long as I can afford the nightly rate.

Room Tip: If you really want a good view of the habor get a room from the 4th floor on up.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DianeWaite, Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel's location does make it so much easier to access the many great venues in the city. Beginning late next year we will start our major renovations of the guest rooms and public spaces in the hotel. This will be a very exciting time and we hope that you have the chance to come back and visit us before and after the renovations. We think you'll be pleased with what we have planned. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Arabic first
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

1. Overpriced for outdated building and rooms
2. Fridge leaked water which I had to clean up
3. TV would automatically go on mute and hotel did not replace TV.
4. Went to purchase a soda from the coffee shop and was told by the clerk that she was closed even though she was checking out a gentleman and refused to allow me to purchase one bottle of soda.
5. The thermostat when set at 65 continually went up to 72 and above.
6 Ordered room service and after 45 minutes was called to say the "ticket" did not print so my order was not prepared. After one hour I complained and hotel said they would send food, of course, at my expense.
7. Left dirty wine glasses and bottles on bar area and cleaning staff did not clean up.
The hotel mgmt. refused to compensate my trip in any way, shape or form, only to say continually, "I'm sorry." I stayed here because I wanted amenities and safety for a single woman. They provided no solutions or compensation. I don't know how this hotel got its AAA and 4 and 5 star rating; however, Comfort Inn; Candlewood Suites; Hilton; Marriot and Hyatt way out perform this inappropriately rated hotel! If you want to stay near the Inner Harbor in Baltimore I would suggest the Hyatt. I will NEVER stay at such an ill-prepared and non-customer oriented hotel operated by Royal Sonesta. There were negative reviews prior to booking; however, I overlooked them because there is always someone who can have a bad experience. Trust absolutely every negative review you've read about Royal Sonesta. Hec, Motel Six at least leaves the light on and greets you. Disgusting! Do not stay at any of Sonesta Hotel, they did nothing to fix any of these problems the entire five days of my stay! I should have packed up the first night when the TV kept going on mute. Ridiculous!

Room Tip: Do not book at Royal Sonesta.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
DianeWaite, Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience here at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore. Please accept our most sincere apology as we did not live up to your expectations during your visit.

We truly are dedicated to putting our customers first and it is disappointing that we did not measure up to your expectations. The issues you experienced during your visit have been investigated and please know each concern has been discussed with our department managers and staff in an effort not to have these types of incidents repeated in the future.

Thank you again.
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

From the minute of arrival the doormen make guests feel at home. The decor is update old world elegance and the rooms are quiet and large. The vanity and bat areas are large and rich too. The only reason I have not rated the room, my room with five stars is that the carpet needs to be updated because of stains. The bed was very comfortable and so I slept great. I ordered room service and my dinner was hot and delicious. I could walk everywhere easily and the harbor is right across the street so the location is ideal. I'll be back next September.

• Stayed September 2012
DianeWaite, Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
We look forward to welcoming your back in September. Thank you for the very lovely review of our property. As mentioned in several responses to our guests, we will be undergoing room renovations in the later part of 2013. The rooms will be completely redesigned with new furniture, drapes, carpet, etc. We are very excited about the renovations and hope you will have the opportunity to come back and stay with us again once they are completed.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here for one night to see the Yankees play the Orioles. I think it is crazy that you have to pay for parking. The hotel itself is nice and staff is friendly and helpful. We got an upgrade on our room to a one bedroom suite with murphy bed. It was a corner room that was nice and secluded. The room had an older appearance but the views of the inner harbor are make up for it. The room was spacious and clean. When our coffee maker would not work in the morning they just brought us up a fresh brewed pot of coffee. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing harbors have the best views. Nothing beats waking up looking out on the harbor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank beachlover0222
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was an Intercontinental Hotel property just 3 months ago. It is not the nice looking place in the photo on the website, but an average looking 7 story hotel in brick. It is across Light street from the inner harbor and within walking distance of the tourist attractions nearby. Ask for a harbor view room when booking.
First, the rooms; dark mahogany furniture, dark patterned carpet and no plugs at the desk. What is a desk for? It was once used for writing, but that was decades ago. They have free WIFI so they understand most people use computers and smartphones, but where do we plug them in? THE HOTEL ROOM! How about a plug on or near the desk to accommodate this common requirement?

Second, dining. At 11:30 AM there is nothing open for lunch. It doesn't open until noon. Kind of cutting it close. Just a nit, but gives the impression they are trying to save money.

Last, the old signage markings still on the outside wall. Come on, if you are changing names, at least put a sign to cover up the old marks on the bricks.

All in all, this is not a top notch hotel, but does have location going for it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BrotherK
Thank you for review of our property. It is upsetting to hear that not only did we not meet your expectations, we did not exceed them. Your comments have been shared with our management so that we can take the necessary steps to improve our service.

Beginning late next year, our hotel rooms will undergo a complete renovation. Everything in the rooms will be brand new and up-to-date! Our in house café, Formula Espresso, offers breakfast and lunch items for our guests enjoyment. You can either dine in or take it to go. Hours of operation are 6:30am to 5pm daily. Our deepest apology if this was not mentioned to you during your visit.

Again we thank you for taking the time to share your comments of our property with us.
Bridgewater, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice hotel, beware of the parking situation it's $26 a day and more if you valet. The rooms were fine, nice gym,sauna and tennis court. My main gripe was the "mini-bar" in the room. When my wife and kids went to look for a vending machine they told her at the front desk to open the refrigerator and cabinet in the room's mini bar. They forgot to tell her that the $4.50 soda's and candy bars were not complimentary. I found out two days later when we read a menu that was on top of the cabinet. So needless to say after spending $175 per night, I felt ripped off. I feel they need to be more transparent with the mini-bar situation. They conveniently don't have any vending machines in the entire hotel, so if you don't bring snacks in your room expect to pay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank George P
DianeWaite, Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. We are disappointed to hear we did not live up to your expectations. Our parking charges are very competitive with other facilities in the city. Our parking rates however, allow in and out access without incurring any additional charges. Many of our guests have found this to be quite helpful when they need to leave property several times throughout their stay. Please accept our apology for the lack of communication regarding the mini-bar from our Front Desk staff. Your comments have been discussed to ensure this type of incident is not repeated in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Elmira, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We took a vacation for 5 days to the Inner Harbor starting the Tuesday after Labor Day weekend. We booked our stay through Hotels.com (first time ever using something like this) and I was a little worried about the outcome of our reservation. We had asked for a Harborview King room and we got exactly what was in the picture that the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court advertised on their website. It was gorgeous! And the view was spectacular! The huge arched windows gave us a wide open view of the Inner Harbor and we were on the sixth floor. We were amazed at the spaciousness and comfort of the room. The view of the harbor was outstanding. From the very start we were impressed with the service we received from the staff at the hotel. Mark (our bellman) met us at our car and took us up to our room with our luggage pointing out the beehive in the centercourt where they raise bees and collect the honey to add to some of their recipes. It was beautiful! There was a sculpture in the courtyard depicting a large beehive that was very unique! The flowers and gardens were bright and cheerful in the sunny courtyard as we passed by the big windows going down the corridor. All the way to our room, Mark filled us in on places to go in the Inner Harbor and gave us ideas of places to eat in Little Italy after we asked him if he could recommend any place special. We ate at La Travola for lunch in Little Italy and it was a gem of a restaurant and thanks to Mark for pointing us in that direction. We loved it! Michelle, at the reception desk, was very cordial, accomodating and friendly upon our arrival and she made us feel very welcomed. Everything was VERY, VERY clean. We were totally impressed. They also accomodated us with internet connection (either wireless or by wire, the choice was ours) as we had brought our laptop. My husband used the fitness center and I took advantage of the pool after we arrived and got settled and it was so relaxing. Later we went to the Rusty Scudder for dinner. Again, - a BIG hit, also a suggestion by Mark, our bellman. We had a nice view of the harbor watching the sun set from our table. Mark had explained to us how easy it was to walk to certain places and suggested cabs to other areas. The following day we went downstairs by the elegant stairway and asked our bellman, Calvin, if he could get us a cab to go to the Sports Legends Museum at Camden Yards. We had a cab within seconds and we were off to the museum. Calvin is quite the gentleman. The staff gave us such a hometown neighborly feeling at the Royal Sonesta beyond compare to anyplace we have ever stayed. After we arrived at the museum we realized we had left our camera in the backseat of the checkered taxi we had taken! We immediately thought we had lost it for sure being in such a big city with so many cabs. It had been about 20 minutes when we realized it was missing. We took the chance of going back to the front of the museum and asked the gentleman at the entry if he could look up the phone number for the hotel hoping that maybe they could possibly help us find our camera. Honestly, we thought it was lost for good, but we took a chance. The gentleman dialed the number for us and gave my husband the phone. My husband explained we had just been dropped off at the Sports Legends Museum and that the tall gentleman bellman (whom we later found out was Calvin) had gotten the cab for us. Michelle was the front desk staff who took the call and she asked Calvin if he remembered us and he did. The best part was he also remembered the # of the checkered cab. Calvin spoke with Jiggy, (the bellman who helped us with our luggage upon leaving). They ended up calling the checkered cab company, giving them the cab, # and within minutes we received a phonecall back from Michelle at the hotel letting us know that our camera had been found and was on it's way back to the hotel! What were the chances of that ever happening?? I'd have to say we had someone looking over us and Calvin - Thank you for your good memory and for being so attentive to us in your wonderful city! From that point on we enjoyed the rest of our time at the Sports Legends Museum. We were so happy and relieved to know that our camera was waiting for us back at the hotel. We had a delicious breakfast one morning at the hotel. The rest of our meals were all over the Inner Harbor and Little Italy. We'd highly recommend the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court for anyone traveling to the Inner Harbor. It's great for couples and if you have children it's very close to alot of entertainment in the area. It was a real treat staying there and if we return to Baltimore we would definitely stay there again. Pleasant, clean, affordable, and terrific staff. A very special thank you goes out to Calvin & Jiggy, Mark, Michelle and Khadija (who is very new to her job at the front desk - excellent work). You all made our stay at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court a great time we will always remember. But one special tip for travelers...if you are using any type of transportation such as cabs, buses or water taxi's, refer to the hotel as "Harbor Court." Many people did not recognize it as Royal Sonesta until we gave them the address. We found out from one of the cab drivers that it has gone through a few name changes over the years, but if you call it the "Harbor Court" they will know right where to take you! Good luck and we hope you have the same royal treatment as we had when you book a room or suite at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court. Great Place! We hope you'll agree!

Room Tip: Location, location, location. If you want a good view make sure that's what you are getting. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DianeWaite, Manager at Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of our property and Baltimore. The staff and I were delighted to read that your stay was most enjoyable. It was so kind of you to mention everyone that assisted you at the hotel by name. Your review will be shared with all of our staff. It was also great to hear your camera was recovered from the taxi. I know there was a huge weight lifted when you knew it was safe and sound back at the hotel.

Again, thank you for the magnificent review and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore in the future.