“Troubled Tree at the Colonnade”

Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Albuquerque
“Troubled Tree at the Colonnade”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This Doubletree Hotel should have great potential, but it needs work. The staff is solicitous, but the hotel has some inherent problems that have not been successfully addressed.

We had an ADA room because my wife uses a walker. The room was medium-sized, clean, but tended to be dark at night. The ADA shower is very small and the counter space in the bathroom is limited. There is no suitable mirror for shaving. The mirrors are either too far across the counter or the lighting is poor. Fortunately, I have a razor with a built-in LED light (made by The Art of Shaving) that helps.

The big problem was with the air conditioner. It was hot and humid in the summer during our stay. The automatic thermostat failed and the maintenance man had to perform an electronic reset on the unit. It worked for another day. Then it failed again, but this time water was streaming down from the bathroom ceiling below the air conditioner unit. I noticed this when I returned briefly to my room around 3 pm; I called the desk. When we returned to our room at 11pm after an evening presentation, the room door had been left ajar by maintenance. The bathroom ceiling had been removed and a ladder and other tools filled the bathroom. I called the desk and the night manager came to our room. He was very helpful and was able to find us a non-ADA room for the remainder of our stay. The staff helped us move to the new room that night.

The night manager reported the mess to the day manager who, with some reluctance, gave us half-off on the one night that we were inconvenienced. Since this air conditioner problem required servicing by the installing company, it was not fixed during our stay. The night manager mentioned that the hotel had experienced several difficulties with the air conditioning systems. (Another convention attendee also experienced problems with the air conditioning.)

The bathroom was dark until I realized that one fluorescent tube was burned out. It was replaced promptly. The hall entry light was dim because the energy-efficient bulb needed replacement. Unfortunately, the hotel did not have extra bulbs.

But in conclusion, others attending this convention who did not experience a problem, were very pleased with this hotel. It’s just that one takes a chance at this Doubletree.

Room Tip: Until the hotel improves and corrects the facility problems, I would not recommend someone taking th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
South River, NJ, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was there for 4 nights and I received exceptional service! This is an outstanding hotel! so why did I rate the overall experience as average? The price of the rooms is just too much. I could get n excellent in NYC for less per night. I would stay there again without hesitation, but I would have to room with someone to control the price.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

They hotel is not near local restaurants or bar/grills so when attending a conference at this facility you must rely on their restaurant and bar facilities. These facilities don't have a clue. The wait for service is embarrassing, but pales in comparison to the wait for your meal. The bar acts like your lucky to be served, very strange. The front end of this hotel has great customer service, go figure

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your time with us. We've addressed our team in regards to your review and the necessary adjustments will be made. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Steve
Gainesville, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is clean and in a nice location. It does have a major design flaw with only toilet facilities at one end of the hotel on the lobby floor. A LONG way from the restaurant and bar. Front desk staff, maids,servers are all attentive and try hard. We were there from a Tuesday through Sunday. Unfortunately an employee named Duncan ruined everything on Saturday night. He was rude, loud and abrasive to my wife and myself. Paying customers in their 70's. When another employee came up to us later and apologized for what had happened Duncan went off into a tirade in an "I Am The Boss" attitude that was inexcusable. He was threatening to fire the young man for trying to be a good face to customers. He was also totally arrogant to other employees in front of other customers. Frankly, he shouldn't be employed by any hotel brand much less one like Doubletree. I sincerely hope that the General Manager and the owner find more good people like Andre and Brandon and Olga and front desk. Customers don't need a Duncan to ruin a week by acting in a totally unprofessional manner. Everything else was ok and should have been for what our stay cost in dollars. RLK902

1 Thank RLK902
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Guest rooms surprisingly nice though bathroom was tiny and not well lit at all. Room was impeccably clean and kept clean--excellent housekeeping services. In-house restaurant: some food quite good, but some other dishes not satisfactory. Hotel and in-house restaurant employees were friendly but obviously needed training as they could not answer basic questions or fulfill requests. Nonetheless, I would stay here again if management informed me that my specific concerns had been addressed. The place has a lot of potential.

1 Thank Bradford211
United States
Reviewed June 30, 2014

From the greeting as we drove up to the checkout this hotel experience was great. the food and bar is second to none. The room has free wifi and comfy beds. I was even given a sewing kit to mend a button. What ever we needed the staff helped is to have a great stay. When ever we are in the Balltimore area this will be the hotel we book.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was stuck at the BWI airport and needed a place to rest for 6 hours before my plane left the next morning.
The hotel price I was quoted was very high for a short period of time I was going to be there.
over $200 plus tax and fees at 1 am in the morning
I already had spent $50 DOLLARS ON A CAB AND WOULD HAVE TO SPENDS &50 MORE TO GET BACK TO THE AIRPORT in a few hours.
When I checked in I asked Will the person at the front desk if he could lower my rate.
Since I am a Hilton Diamond member he looked at my account and said no problem.

NOW THAT IS SERVICE!
Will went out of his way to make my crazy travel night into one that was more affordable while showing compassion for my situation.
thank you Will!