“Tiniest room with outdated amenities. Don't be fooled by the exterior.”

Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Of all the hotels my husband and I have stayed at over 26 years, we agreed that this hotel was the worst by far. We were simply shocked at how small and outdated the room was.
Overall SF of the room was perhaps 120FT?
The bathroom had no vanity space. I had to put my makeup bag on top of the toilet.
The bathroom had no towel rack.
The entire bathroom, including the shower, was about 5'x7'?
The shower curtain was ripped.
There was 1 bath towel, 2 hand towels, 2 tip towels--I've never been to a Hilton where only 1 bath towel was provided.
The closet was half the size of average hotel room closets.
The telephone was from the 80's.
There was only 1 free outlet in the entire room. I had to plug in my phone there and the IPad in the bathroom.
The AC/Heater was so loud that we turned it off to get some peace and quiet.
The hallways on the 2nd floor *HHonors floors was hideous and smelled "old."
Instead of flowers, there was a sad looking unhealthy house plant on display near the elevator.
The elevator was outdated and slow, subpar to what is available on the market.
The flowers near the tour desk was literally dead and the water in the vase was completely depleted.

They're very lucky that the hotel is the closest chain hotel to Johns Hopkins. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much business they'd get. I took pictures of the room and plan to post on Hopkins parents Facebook page, Expedia and other websites to never go to that facility unless they would like to experience a 1 or 2 star hotel room where they can see what claustrophobia feels like. I was so disgusted that I really wanted to leave immediately. The only consolation was the friendly staff. Sorry, but the facility needs to be reevaluated by the Hilton Group. It's time for an upgrade or set appropriate expectations with future guests. The Colonnade is a 1.5 or 2 star facility. We paid $155.

Room Tip: Proximity to Johns Hopkins Univ campus couldn't compensate for how terribly shocking and subpar...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ESKPLosAngeles
snyitrai, General Manager at Doubletree Inn at The Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. As I noted in the email I had sent you prior to you posting your comment here on Tripadvisor, when you reserved your room, you literally chose the smallest room in the hotel through Advance Purchase. I noted in the email I wasn't sure if that was the only room left at that price point you had wanted to be at, but we did have 1 or 2 suites left due to our nearly being sold-out when you made your reservation at 9pm your day of arrival. I also extended a personal invitation back to the hotel, and included my personal cell for you to reach out to me directly, which you have not responded back to me to discuss your challenges,.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The service that we received from checking in, dinning in and checking out, were all excellent. I will say I wasn't to happy with my meal. Other than that our stay was great. Thank you to everyone we enjoyed our time. Loved the cookie lol

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

WE had a 1 bedroom suite. There was a pullout couch and we requested a cot. Both the couch bed and cot had terrible mattresses. The shower did not drain well. The water reached our ankles in the shower. I have stayed here previously and I plan to in the future because of its location. My previous stays were better. Hopefully it was an off night.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We arrived at the Inn at The Colonnade in the middle of the night in a big snow storm. We were greeting with warm cookies, a friendly face, and a lovely lobby. When we got to our room, though, we met a deafening roar. Seriously, I travel a lot and I've never, ever, heard a heating system so loud. It was like there was a train running through our room. It was so late, though, that we didn't ask to move -- though we probably should have. Instead, we just shut off the heat. That made it quiet, but by morning, it was pretty cold! Also, we had stayed there to visit JHU, which ended up being closed for the storm. My husband was supposed to work for the day in his company's downtown office -- also closed, so he had to do a conference call in the room. They gave us a really hard time about extending check-out time from 12 to 1 p.m. You'd think I was asking for a major, major, favor. I felt like I had to beg. Soured us on this hotel a bit, although they ultimately relented and let us stay for no more than one extra hour.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

For visiting Johns Hopkins, the location of this hotel can't be beat. While the lobby is nice, the room was very tired. The toilet clogged and I mentioned it to the front desk, but they never sent someone to fix it. The room was also noisy due to the heat going on and off through a very large vent near the ceiling. I guess if you treat it as white noise, it's not terrible, but seemed really loud to me. If your visiting JHU, you might want to stay here for the location and it's certainly not terrible, but I wasn't impressed compared with the hotel we stayed at right after in a different city which was nicer and even less expensive.

2  Thank CTTraveler99
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel because we had a coupon from Living Social. We were very satisfied with the room and the service we received. It is about a 10 to 15 minute drive to the Inner Harbor from the hotel so that wasn't too bad.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Had to open the window in February to sleep comfortably, with fresh air. Put my mattress on the floor, wore my sweatshirt and used the blankets from both beds. Fortunately the windows opened (otherwise I would give only one star), and I was in a room with two beds, so there was an extra blanket.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business