“Lovely and OLD!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Dublin, Ohio, United States
“Lovely and OLD!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this isn't the one. If you are looking for a small old European style hotel then you've found it. I will be honest the floors and uneven, the wallpaper is falling off and you may have to climb 38 stair steps (I counted) to your room but if you can deal with all that it's worth it. You can't beat the price and it's located next to a few small adorable cafes and within easy (safe) walking distance to the free circulator bus. So if you want a cheap old hotel to lay your head you've found it!

Room Tip: ask for a suite and a lower level!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Daisha O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I would actually rate this hotel as "fair' or "acceptable". If you're looking for a low cost stay in a convenient location in the city of Baltimore, and your willing to overlook the fact the hotel has probably seen better days, as I was, then you'll be fine here for a night or so.

Pros:
reasonable price
good location
convenient parking ($3)
clean beds and bathrooms
pleasant, helpful staff

Cons:
old property (some would say "run down")
lots of stairs/ no elevator
potential to be loud
not for children

The Biltmore is over a hundred years old and the floors and walls are no longer square. There is no elevator. The lobby is a flight up from the street and the rooms start above that. There are two flights of stairs for each floor, so the lowest room would be two flights up from the lobby, and the fourth floor, where I stayed with my teenage daughters, requires ascending (and descending) eight flights of stairs.

Our room had two queen beds with a small sitting room and bathroom off of that. The beds and the bathroom were clean, which is the most important thing to me, while the rugs, furniture, curtains and such were somewhat shabby. There was a water stain on the bathroom ceiling, and there was also some peeling wallpaper and plaster in the bedroom which is one of the reasons I would not recommend this hotel for young children or toddlers. There was a cable outlet hanging from the wall by its wires down low as well, and the windows opened up with no kind of screens or safety devices to keeps little ones from falling out - so adults or older children only.

Parking is located about a block away in a hospital garage and costs $3 with validation from the hotel. It is free on weekends if it is unattended. Although we worried about the possibility of late-night ambulances waking us up, that didn't happen. We could hear our neighbors talking in adjacent rooms, but everyone was quiet at night.

The staff was friendly, and although they were willing to gives us directions multiple times, they didn't really include street names so bring your GPS.

Some would say this hotel has "Old World Charm", others would call it "run down". We were fine for the one night we needed to stay in Baltimore while visiting colleges, and it met my budget. If this description doesn't sound fine to you though, it probably won't be.

Room Tip: Ask for the lowest floor possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dmbt
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

I was a bit nervous based on some of the other reviews, but I fell in love with this place. The location was perfect for my trips to the Walters Art Museum and the free "Charm City Circulator" bus makes it very convenient to anywhere in the city. I felt perfectly safe in the neighborhood and left my car 2 blocks away at the Maryland General Hospital ($9 total parking cost for a 3-day stay). The Mount Vernon neighborhood is filled with lovely old buildings and I felt quite safe as a woman walking alone.

My room (211) was a delightful surprise. Yes, it was up 41 steps, but it had an enormous sitting room as well as a large bedroom. The furniture was a wonderfully eclectic mix of antiques from all periods and the bed was quite comfortable. Yes, it could use a face lift, but it was very clean and comfortable. The microwave, coffee maker and mini-refrigerator all worked perfectly.

There were plenty of drawers and closet space to store a month's worth of stuff. There were also plenty of lights and electrical outlets.

I liked the decor and the artwork. My favorite was the antique sewing machine in the corner. I loved the view of the church spire out the sitting room window. The only thing I would change would be to get rid of the silk flowers, which looked a bit tired and dusty.

The woman at the front desk was helpful and friendly.

The bathroom was in need of work. There had been water damage on the ceiling which was warped and discolored and the handle on the tub was loose. However, it was clean and how much time do you spend in the bathroom anyway?

Overall, I would recommend this place highly to anyone who is willing to accept some minor imperfections in exchange for a comfortable and memorable experience.

Room Tip: There are 22 steps to the 1st floor and another 19 to the second (I didn't go higher). I recomm...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Susan1958
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I am from the area and that was the worse experience of my life. It looked like the Adams Family house, the ceiling was peeling, mold around the shower and an actual cat walking around. I thought it would be shabby chic but i honestly felt as though norman bates was going to stab me in the shower. Do not I repeat don not stay there even though the price is alluring I couldnt do it. I actually left the hotel and got a refund

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lmlee8901
Columbus Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

GREAT LOCATION...close to both free bus and lite rail.room had everything needed micro fridge and 1 burner. mt vernon area which is old and very historic.could use a MAJOR update but served the purpose. shower and sleep. not the ritz but not the ritz prices either.would stay again.

Room Tip: no elevator so if there are walking problems be sure to tell them before check in,they did offer to...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Biltmore Suites Hotel. We thank you for your comments and recommendations. In addition to the refrigerator, we have recently added a microwave oven to all our rooms for our guests' convenience. We thank you for staying with us at the Biltmore Suites Hotel.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

Being a frequent traveler to Europe, this hotel made me homesick for the quaint, bed and breakfast-like hotels in London. Although, this place seriously needs an elevator, it was an amazing, historical journey back to the Victorian 1800's in the heart of Mt. Vernon, Baltimore. Yes, this place is homely, but there are so many things to see and touch and has a museum-like quality. The lobby is an wonderful place to have coffee/tea and relax. Mr. Patel, the owner, was a joy to work with and very responsive to our needs. The bedroom suites were like real parlors and bedroom combinations. I found myself wanting to see each room out of curiosity as they were all decorated differently. If you can get the Biltmore Suite, Room 101, ask for it! The location is perfect and in close proximity to food, coffee shops, theaters, natural food stores, ethnic food places, bars, and museums. Hop on the Charm City Connector (free) and tour the city. Parking at the hotel is only available on the street and it can be hard to find a space at night since residents have priority, but if you find a space, stay in it and walk around. (Read the meters!)

Look, if you are looking for a modern, sleek hotel (and one with an elevator), then avoid this hotel. You will look immediately to the cracks in the walls and the lived-in furniture. But if you are looking for a place that has a bit of Baltimore's historical charm, has a friendly approachable staff, and has a warm, shabby-ish decor, themed rooms, then this place is a gem!

Room Tip: Ask for the Biltmore Suite, Room 101! The first floor is not the first floor. Rooms that begin with...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We thank you for taking a moment to write about your wonderful stay with us at the Biltmore Suites Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay! We appreciate your kind words about our staff, our service and our rooms. While our hotel does not have its own parking, we do have an arrangement with nearby Maryland General Hospital Garage, allowing our guests to park for $3.00 per night. We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to your next visit with us!
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

This House ist unbelievable dirty and run down. No Elevator. The bedsheets had not been changed for some time. Dust everywhere. Wallpaper hanging down.

Room Tip: Don't even dry
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BiltmoreSuitesHotel, Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
We apologize that our hotel felt dusty to you. Our hotel is over 130 years old and is a Victorian hotel, so has tall ceilings and sometimes we cannot reach all the spots. We do change our sheets every day, except for guests staying over. We do this to conserve water. Our hotel does not have an elevator and has not claimed to have an elevator.