“A little VT in MD”
Review of Woodberry Kitchen

Woodberry Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Woodberry Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 2,064 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union Avenue
Transit: We are conveniently located at the Woodberry light rail stop. Just exit the light rail and walk up Clipper Park Road and find us on the right hand side.
Description: Woodberry Kitchen relies on longstanding relationships with the growers of the Chesapeake to provide the ingredients that nourish and delight our guests. At our table, you join us in supporting sustainable agriculture that respects the abundance and traditions of the region while helping to ensure its future. Housed in a renovated 1870s foundry nestled in historic Clipper Mill, Woodberry Kitchen offers a warm, rustic setting featuring an open kitchen and patio seating during the summer season. Owners Spike and Amy Gjerde are committed to providing our guests with exceptional service and fare, earning Woodberry Kitchen recognition by Bon Appetit, The New York Times, and Gourmet. Come join us, whether for a snack along with local wine or beer at the bar; an impromptu supper with friends; or a private celebratory feast in one of our dining rooms.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Woodberry Kitchen was warm and inviting and reminded me of Vermont. It was festively decorated for the holidays. We had a table on the top floor which I recommend. Quiet and cozy. It was a little dark but the waiter was prepared with a little flash light to help us read the menus. I had a fun ginger beer in a copper cup to start with. The food was very good although with a 1 month wait time, I thought it was going to be spectacular. There is definitely "hype" about this restaurant for not entirely clear reasons. However, we will be back.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went for New Year's Eve. Had an amazing meal with wonderful service! Everything we ate was great! We went at the 5 pm seating b/c that's the only time we could get it, but the place was packed. My fiancee had the 30 day dry aged beef, and it was worth the price. She said they run out in the first hour so its a good thing we went so early! Definitely get the Kitchen Sink dessert!

My only negative was that we sat on the first floor near the big glass window and it was a little drafty, even colder when people came in the door.

Definitely go!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I don't even know where to begin with reviewing Woodberry Kitchen. From the atmosphere, to staff, to the amazing farm to table food everything is superb at Woodberry! Since moving to Europe I genuinely miss this restaurant. My husband and I would go to Woodberry for brunch every Saturday and Sunday and whenever there was a special occasion we would bring the whole family here to celebrate. Woodberry was our go to place. There is also complimentary valet parking when you pull up. All of the food is amazing. Ricotta pancakes, meatloaf, farm chicken, flat bread pizzas, deviled eggs, homemade ice creams, CMP, plus all of the amazing dishes that change from week to week. I cannot recommend a restaurant more than Woodberry!

1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This weekend I had a business dinner at the Woodberry Kitchen. I had never been there before. We arrived a bit early for our reservation (a must), but were about to get seats at the bar. The hostess was extremely friendly and accommodating, and offered us the option of drinking outside at a large fire pit until our table opened up. We did just that. The building is a 19th century mill and steel works that has been converted to a soaring, industrial loft-like space with brick walls and steel I-beams. The menu is completely new every day, so there were no "specials". Everything was in a sense a special. The menu also listed the local organic farms that supplied the meats, cheeses, and vegetables. I had oysters on the half shell to start with (a half dozen types to choose from). They were served with four different sauces on the side. Then I shared the muscovy duck breast for two over roasted root vegetables. It was outstanding: non fatty, and cooked perfectly with an interesting set of flavors. For dessert I had decaf coffee in a mini French press and the best bourbon pecan pie I have ever eaten. The service was absolutely professional and impeccable. Our waiter was unobtrusive, yet we never had to look around for him when we wanted something. I would be delighted to go back.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had been at the Woodberry twice before and thought that this would be a nice dinner for my son, and my wife for her birthday. We were seated upstairs which is quieter than the noisy first floor. The ambiance is very nice in this converted mill building. Started with cocktails: very good, but I am still offended by $12 drinks. Then a nice flatbread with ham, mushroom and kale? After that thing went downhill. My Bigeye tuna with rice, turnips and shitake mushrooms had little taste since it way obscured by the fish pepper sauce. And the Wood roasted sausages (Earl and weisswurst) were mediocore at best. Of the three mains (and we all shared) the pork chop was the best, altho curiosly it was cut into medallions like they were from a pork tenderloin. For all 3 mains the root vegetables were quite good. Then the wine: I thought that a pinot would be good for these entrees, and so I hesitantly chose a Chilean Pinot Noir ($40) about which the waiter said: "people who have had this by the glass liked it very much" Well, it was like no pinot that I have ever had from france or the us. Not a good choice. Finally, my wife an I had espresso. The worst that I have ever had (we have espresso every night and have had it in France and Italy. The waiter said that we would not be charged for this. All in all, a very disappointing meal for approx. $200 for 3 people. This restaurant is obviously trying to live on its reputation which, in my opinion, is badly tarnished by our experience.