“Always great food”
Review of Woodberry Kitchen

Woodberry Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Woodberry Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 2,039 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union Avenue
Transit: We are conveniently located at the Woodberry light rail stop. Just exit the light rail and walk up Clipper Park Road and find us on the right hand side.
Description: Woodberry Kitchen relies on longstanding relationships with the growers of the Chesapeake to provide the ingredients that nourish and delight our guests. At our table, you join us in supporting sustainable agriculture that respects the abundance and traditions of the region while helping to ensure its future. Housed in a renovated 1870s foundry nestled in historic Clipper Mill, Woodberry Kitchen offers a warm, rustic setting featuring an open kitchen and patio seating during the summer season. Owners Spike and Amy Gjerde are committed to providing our guests with exceptional service and fare, earning Woodberry Kitchen recognition by Bon Appetit, The New York Times, and Gourmet. Come join us, whether for a snack along with local wine or beer at the bar; an impromptu supper with friends; or a private celebratory feast in one of our dining rooms.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Always great food”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Every time we go to Baltimore my daughter makes a reservation for dinner or brunch. My favorite is dinner. The menu is not huge and changes daily, but we have never had a bad meal there. This time their brick ovens were being reconditioned so they had grills set up on the patio. Wonderful meals were prepared. My daughter had the barbecued chicken made with a mayonnaise barbecue sauce. It was to die for. My husbands steak and roasted vegetables was excellent. I had a pasta with roasted vegetables that was wonderful. The drinks are always special there and we ordered a simple roasted figs with ricotta and honey for dessert. Never had that before but will definitely order that again. The service is great but the restaurant is very noisy so I would not recommend for an intimate dinner. It is on the expensive side but we keep going back because the entire experience is always memorable. You do need dinner reservations well in advance.

Visited September 2013

Denver, Colorado
“Amazing atmosphere and design, less than spectacular food.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently ate here on a business trip with a large group of people. They seemed to only have one table that could accommodate our party and there was another group finishing up. We waited for probably 30-45 minutes, but the staff kindly handed out sparkling wine to keep us happy. We were seated, and the service was very good. I have a gluten issue and was informed they have a gluten-free menu, much to my delight. I ordered the new york strip (medium rare). The food took awhile to come out. They brought me gluten-free toast, which was above average-- kind of like grilled cheese cornbread. The steak however, was cold, and fairly disappointing based on the price. I also had some grilled peaches which were alright, may have just not been to my taste.

That being said, the atmosphere is refined rustic, and very beautifully done. The staff was well trained and kept the water and wine glasses filled. If I was footing the bill, I probably would not eat here again.

Essex, Maryland
“First Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Do not know where to begin. This was my third or fourth visit to Woodberry Kitchen and I know in general you need to book weeks in advance for a table. I had forgot to do so but when I called they encouraged me to come in anyway and that I would at least be able to be seated at the bar. We came in and they were pretty busy as always. The hostess was very pleasant and did not give us attitude for not having a reservation as you might expect at some other places. We told her we would like to wait for a table if it was in the foreseeable future. She said it would be about half an hour so we opted to wait and have a cocktail. The bartender was great as well were the drinks. We wondered outside to enjoy our drinks and a little while later a different hostess came and found us which I find amazing in itself that they know who you are and where to find you. She sat us at a great outdoor table and we told her how grateful we were being a walk-in and that it was our first anniversary. We ordered the deviled eggs for an app and they were awesome. I had the gazpacho which was perfect and Chris ordered the oyster stew which was also perfect and not at all heavy. I had the Liberty Delight Tavern Steak Cobbler potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, sweet potato greens, orano peppers, onion cream which I cannot begin to explain how intensely phenomenal this dish was, Chris got the Eastern Shore BBQ Chicken
Corn on the cob, toast, heirloom tomato, fish pepper butter which was hands down the best chicken I have ever had (and yes I copy and pasted from the menu). At the end of dinner we were offered dessert which we passed on to go home and enjoy our cake topper. Before leaving our outstanding waiter brought out a large plate with a candle attached to it and written on the plate in dark chocolate "Happy Anniversary" and a dish of basil ice cream. One of my favorite things about Woodberry outside of the food which seems to get better with each visit is the atmosphere and service. Everything is top notch without being oppressive or aloof. I cannot recommend this place enough!

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Prior planning goes a long way to a great dining experience”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

It's a rare find to discover such a unique atmosphere. The building is truly amazing, with great attention to creating a real ambience. Our table of 10 was promptly seated by the warm and friendly staff. Everyone was very pleased with their meal. Desserts were fresh and definitely worth it. Our waitress did a great job handling a very busy situation. Having read the other reviews, I think the key to our great experience was the fact we made reservations well in advance. It is a large building but draws an equally sizable crowd. Will be sure to revisit with friends, family, and business associates.

Baltimore, Maryland
“All Hype...Just Average”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

When I go out to dinner and spend a great deal of money I want to leave feeling like that was the best meal I ever had. I have been wanting to dine at Woodberry for quite some time and was somewhat disappointed by the amount of money I spent this evening for the quality of the food ordered. To begin the evening my friends and I had a 7:30 reservation and waited 40 minutes for our table. We gladly sat on the patio while waiting and ordered glasses of wine, which was over priced and the red wine was served chilled. The hostess did apologize for the wait and provided us with popcorn to snack on while we waited. The salads and soup we had were good: summer bean salad watermelon salad, and corn soup. Entrees ordered included crab cakes, swordfish, roasted beef shank, and soft crabs. Crab cakes were just average and were served in a puddle of tartar sauce, beef shank was lacking in flavor, and swordfish was not fully cooked. The soft crabs were tasty, but looked barely legal. Desserts were ok : figs and ricotta, apple pie, and the kitchen sink. Overall, food was average and not worth the price paid.

1 Thank Amy P