“This place is very good at what they do”
Review of Woodberry Kitchen

Woodberry Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Woodberry Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 2,094 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union Avenue
Transit: We are conveniently located at the Woodberry light rail stop. Just exit the light rail and walk up Clipper Park Road and find us on the right hand side.
Description: Woodberry Kitchen relies on longstanding relationships with the growers of the Chesapeake to provide the ingredients that nourish and delight our guests. At our table, you join us in supporting sustainable agriculture that respects the abundance and traditions of the region while helping to ensure its future. Housed in a renovated 1870s foundry nestled in historic Clipper Mill, Woodberry Kitchen offers a warm, rustic setting featuring an open kitchen and patio seating during the summer season. Owners Spike and Amy Gjerde are committed to providing our guests with exceptional service and fare, earning Woodberry Kitchen recognition by Bon Appetit, The New York Times, and Gourmet. Come join us, whether for a snack along with local wine or beer at the bar; an impromptu supper with friends; or a private celebratory feast in one of our dining rooms.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaurant specialized is locally sourced food. I ate vegetarian and had enough to choose from on the menu. The season allowed me to choose ramps on toast as an appetizer - they were expertly done. I also had ramp and potato soup which was likewise excellent. They know how to make a salad interesting with local ingredients like wild garlic tops. I actually sent the wood-oven baked mac and cheese back as tasteless but they took it off my bill without even being asked. The kefir-lime custard and rhubarb creme dessert with cornmeal cookie was excellent. I watched as other diners ordered cuts of beef and pork and scallops and they looked expertly done. I can't wait to come here with a carnivore. Sorry, I did not drink wine, either.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Woodberry Kitchen is a one-of-a-kind. The service is always spot-on, they are attentive but not intrusive and the food never fails to delight. During our most recent visit I had the ever flavorful chicken and biscuit dinner - they have tweaked this dish over the years but have retained the moist chicken with the spice crusted crisp skin served with fresh vegetables and the homemade biscuit. I always promise myself to try something new, but it seems every other visit finds me choosing this dish again. The flatbreads are delicious and depending on how hungry you are - consider one to split as an appetizer. My husband had some oysters on the half shell as an appetizer - he experiements with different ones and seems to like them all! He also had the pork shoulder - it was tender and very flavorful. We shared the fresh cream ice cream for dessert and commented to the waiter that we can't wait for summer when they will offer their basil ice cream - absolutely divine! This is a fun, vibrant restaurant and one we return to time and again.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Been a while since I've been in a restaurant so ready for kids. Homemade playdough, coloring pages and special play vinyl mats/place mats. Food was very good. Stewed chicken with waffles. yum!! great salads, homemade chips/dip. Love how everything is homemade. Even the simple syrup for the iced tea. Lots of homemade sorbets and ice creams.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Had dinner with three friends. They told me that getting a reservation here often took over a week. The restaurant smelled wonderful and the food was fine. The appetizers were fine, I especially liked the scallops. The main course was a swordfish that arrived well undercooked (two of us had to send it back). They did without hesitation take our food back to the kitchen and it came back properly cooked. Having said that, the quality of the fish was fine, but not superb nor were the embellishments (sauce, veggies) memorable. This was a good dinner in a rather noisy room. If I lived in Baltimore, I would definitely go back; however, I ate at better restaurants while there so think there are better to be had.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Hip and happening, yes, but this Baltimore favorite just doesn't leave me satisfied. The menu is creative, but can be limiting. I tried the pheasant sausage and thought they were okay at best. On the other hand, my chicken livers on toast app was fantastic. Wife had the tile fish and we both found it very fishy in taste. I think the most disappointing element is the lack of brand alcohol and the extremely small cocktails; particularly considering the cost. I will say the wait staff was fantastic. In summary, the food is good but still the place is over-rated to me.

2  Thank Nicksthos